• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Two below average Head coaches for 8 of those years don't help and that has had a more profound effect than anyone can imagine on roster building and feedback for player selection. I'd say he was average with way below average help around him.
    We can set aside that GM is responsible for the HC and all other below average help that is around him.. we agree - he’s average. Average does not win championships. Avg gets you Pick #16 or 17 every April
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Restructuring Allen and moving on from Bosa makes more sense to me. I saw a big drop-off in our offense when Allen was out last year but not so much on defense when Bosa was out. Also, this draft looks like it has a lot of pretty good Edge players.
      Agree, IF we can get a first for Joey.....or a 2nd and 3rd....we can draft another edge rusher or two having an extra pick(s).

Injuries happen. Keenan has been pretty durable for some years. Not like he tore a shoulder, broke a wrist or a high ankle sprain,.... it was a pulled hammy. Hopefully he won't get another but it is a potential long healer.

Some have missed whole seasons.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Agree, IF we can get a first for Joey.....or a 2nd and 3rd....we can draft another edge rusher or two having an extra pick(s).

Injuries happen. Keenan has been pretty durable for some years. Not like he tore a shoulder, broke a wrist or a high ankle sprain, it was a pulled hammy. Hopefully he won't get another but it is a potential long healer.

Some have missed whole seasons.
        This draft is deep at EDGE.
        Joey's contract is also a big roadblock.
        We must ask Joey and his agent for cooperation.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Critty
          Dominate the Day.
          • Mar 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Somehow I get the feeling next year is Joey last season as a Charger.
          Who has it better than us?

Comment

• wu-dai clan
            Smooth Operation
            • May 2017
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

Could be.
            Joey Bosa is a big consideration
            about what to do
            in this upcoming draft.
            The prevailing take at TPB is that in no way can guaranteed money be converted to easily achieved incentives, such as roster bonuses, and besides Joey sucks anyway.
            O-kay.
            We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Sure , but Joey is worth something today being 27 and we can recoup perhaps a 1st or 2nd and 3rd ( based on what Chubb brought and Buckner) plus lose some of his cap hit.

He is worth more than Keenan in a trade and as you said the draft position is deep.

I'm not insisting this happens but I'd be on board if we hear realistic rumors.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                Administrator
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO

Delete - sorry; looks like the discussion is already under way. I've got some catching up to do . . . .
                Next time, click on Edit, then you can Delete. I did it for you.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post

That's my feeling as well. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt-O View Post

Next time, click on Edit, then you can Delete. I did it for you.
                    Thanks. I'm (slowly) figuring out all the functions . . . .

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

He can work with us or move on. At his best, he was a top 10 pass rusher. Today, who knows? We do know he can be a self centered turd instead of a reliable teammate during the playoffs.

Comment

• ChargersPowderBlue
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Another thing with the Bosa and Allen - and why I mention them - this is just not about 2023, this is about 2024. As of today, the team has $47m of cap space - but that is for 28 players. So the team will add two draft classes - about $15-20m total, plus other players. So easily that number drops to under $20m if not $10. And that is before signing any players like Pipkins or Tranq or Fox
                        Let the players who want too much money walk. The guys who will demand more than the front office is willing to pay them.​

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

I doubt any of the "Big 4" are going anywhere next year. They're making another SB run next year... sans the historic injuries.

To get under the cap, you have to restructure at least 2 of them. Bosa/Allen save the most. Every dollar you defer/restructure makes the 2024 cap year smaller.
                          2025 cap space eases quite a bit... extensions? I have no reservations seeing Bosa or Keenan on the roster in 2025. Injuries happen in the NFL Neither Keenan nor Joey are done.
                          IMO, the only one I'd be worried about (age wise) is Mack going into 2024. If you cut Mack in 2024, you save $23 million dollars but eat $4.5 million. If you cut Keenan in 2024, you also save $23 million and eat $2.7 million.

Cutting Joey in 2024, saves $22 million... eating $7 million.
                          Cutting Mike in 2024, saves $20 million... eating $7 million.

You can see who they think is the long-term solution by the way they structured the deals. Having said that, each one was structured with an out. Some more expensive (dead cap) than others.

Comment

Working...
                          X