Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I wonder what his fatal flaw was...for Pokey? Too slow? Bad routes? No Separation?
    Perhaps it's simply the competition. We do have a very good group of WR's.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Velo
      Ride!
      • Aug 2019
      • Everywhere
      • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
      • Send PM

Sometimes a UDFA has to bounce around a bit to find the right situation.

Jalen Guyton was signed by the Cowboys as a UDFA in 2019 he was in camp all summer and released after camp. The Cowboys were fairly stacked at WR with Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb, Cedrick Wilson and Tavon Austin.

The Chargers on the other hand had a suck-ass WR corps in 2019, with KA & MW at the top and a bunch of failures below them. They had let Tyrell Williams walk and they were counting on Travis Benjamin, who they were already paying good money, to fill that void. Dontrelle Inman, Andre Patton and Geremy Davis were also on the roster. Inman was already over the hill by then; Patton and Davis should never have been on the roster. It was really unfair to Rivers to saddle him with such piss-poor WR talent.

Anyway, the Chargers signed Guyton to the PS in October. In November they signed him to the roster after injuries ended the seasons of Benjamin, Davis and Inman. He stuck; I think they liked his speed; Benjamin and Tyrell Williams had been the speedsters in WR room and both were gone and they needed to replace that.

In training camp 2020 Guyton and Herbert bonded taking 2nd team reps all that summer. Guyton was on the opening day roster in 2020 and when Herbert took over as starter and started throwing long TD passes to Guyton a connection was born. Guyton caught Herbert's first NFL TD pass.

So, it just takes the right situation sometimes for a UDFA to find a home.

Kellen Moore was the OC who cut Guyton from the Cowboys in 2019 btw.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Perhaps it's simply the competition. We do have a very good group of WR's.
        We just added two draftees that are locks on our roster. Last season by game 16 he would have been a starter. This year we are just too deep at the position.
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

was Zander carrying a weapon?
          Oh, snap. (Literally and figuratively.)

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
            Charger Fan since 1978
            • Sep 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Oh, snap. (Literally and figuratively.)
            Maybe popper is right, maybe they are signing him to the PS, or maybe he just forgot his lucky socks in his locker, who knows?
            "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Herbert 99
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Aug 2023
              • Send PM

I think a player like Nick Vannett can be enhanced with a Quarterback like Justin Herbert.

he just makes everyone look great. With our room of receivers he should be open a lot and have opportunities to make plays.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Herbert 99 View Post
                I think a player like Nick Vannett can be enhanced with a Quarterback like Justin Herbert.

he just makes everyone look great. With our room of receivers he should be open a lot and have opportunities to make plays.
                He’s #5 TE and on the PS, I’m not sure why we are talking about him. He’s deep deep vet insurance, i don’t think he’s anything more.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

He’s #5 TE and on the PS, I’m not sure why we are talking about him. He’s deep deep vet insurance, i don’t think he’s anything more.
                  Dude, we talk about Charger shoe laces.

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

we appreciate your expertise, we just wish you were a fan of our team

I didn't get excited - I remembered him from last year, unable to beat out multiple WR's that were elevated to the roster but unable to play NFL football. People here love speed, they worship at the goddess of speed. Nothing wrong with speed, I lived thru the 80s. But Rule 1 is you have to be able to play football.

Doss was by far the best WR in PS that is not on the roster. I thought he'd be on the roster, but Staley & Co went with protecting the ...

season 1 he adventures of pete and pete GIF
                    Doss did impress...but it comes down to: Which of the two is safer on the PS--Doss or Dot?

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Doss did impress...but it comes down to: Which of the two is safer on the PS--Doss or Dot?
                      With all the problems in colt-land I think Steichen would have had dot on the plane the next day!
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Dude, we talk about Charger shoe laces.
                        Exactly - we talk about the important things here!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I agree. I guess -we’ll never know if Dot was truly a waiver poach risk now. Its also numbers - there are 3 RBs ahead of Dot, 5 WRs ahead of Doss

Doss and Dot are phonetically close … I’m sensing a Topcat opportunity here. I’ll kick start it, its Friday ,,,

A rolling dot gathers no doss

Comment

Working...
                          X