• Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Makes me wonder if some people are actually watching this team play
    Oh, I watch the games. I think we're just focussing on different things. You can't ignore the injuries. I saw Michael Bandy. I saw Foster Sarell... and Richard Rogers... and Derek Tuzka... and several D-linemen from other people's practice squads. You couldn't miss it. TPB posters on the Game Day Threads needed a roster window up half the time just to tell who was playing where... I watched the GDT for 3 quarters before anyone identified David Moa correctly! Dudes thought it was Fehoko... with magic super-grow hair! LOL! I was watching, alright!

Let's recap, shall we...

KA averaged 7.5 catches per game and 85 yards per game over the last 8 games of the season. BoltJolt already did the extrapolation for you guys... something like 125 receptions and 1300 yards... Kellen Moore isn't strolling into Chargers Park and telling TT, "Yeah, I think we should cut KA and eat his cap hit." LOL! "I can't use a guy who gets open every play... I want to huck the ball down field into split safety coverage." And this Williams guy...? I know he's a size mismatch and all... I've seen the acrobatic catches... I know you invested the #7 pick in him... and re-signed him for $20 million... but, DANG, wasn't he hurt for 3 games last year...? And this Palmer kid... I know his production from year 1 to year 2 increased nearly 2.5 times... but hey, I'm not sure I can make a SB push with just 3 ultra-productive WR's... I might need a 1st round, post pick 21, flopper like Jahan Dotson or Treylon Burks... Oh, those guys were pre-pick 21 last year...? Then give me Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, John Metchie, Tyquan Thorton... What, you say...? These 4 (combined) couldn't equal what KA did in 8 games...?

And your RB only had 18 TD's...? Only 107 receptions...? I'm not sure I can work with that! I need some play-makers, damn it!

Shortest interview in the history of pro sports...

Yeah, I watched the games.

I'll say this again... improved OL play will make this offense explode.
    2 Pro Bowlers missed 20+ games. Rookie guard, playing LT. Rookie LG/LT playing RG. A terrible LG. A mediocre RT.
    Get a quality RT already! Move Salyer to LG. Let Zion learn/improve... We're so close! I bet none of you watch the OL as much as I do during the games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I'm reading that people here still believe that Keenan Allen is consistent 100 reception WR, when he played in 10 games and missed 7 games, and will be turning 31. I love Slayer but Father Time is undefeated and Slayer needs to take a major haircut or obtain his release. Chargers need to get younger, faster, healthier, and cheaper at the WR position.

I agree, Allen makes none of those plays, and DeAndre Carter will drop his limited red zone opportunities on money downs. Kellen Moore has been an NFL coach longer than Staley, and therefore, has the clout and I expect him to make changes.
      Its also not just about this year. If you kick the can on Allen this year - no pay cut, pay him his 19m but restructure the cap hit, all of the sudden that money goes onto 2024 and beyond. Which might limit other things happening over a sentimental signing. Telesco needs to do his job and finding a younger better faster WR that can also catch the ball. And the thing is, he is not getting better - he can only get worse. Sure it sucks to have to move on from good players and fan favorites and all that. But if the Chargers make the move this year - they get the cap space this year - but they don't take away from future years.

The worst thing you can do in cap management - reading a bunch of different people - is push out cap on an older veteran. Now if KA13 wants to take a true pay cut combined with maybe pushing up to $5m in the future -thats workable. But at his current salary and having to push $15m in the future -it would be stupid

Telesco just needs to do his job and find a younger WR from another team that can grow into the role.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

IF they re-sign Pip... that will be it. If he signs cheap ($5 million) then fine. But OTC has his value @$10+ million. I'd re-sign some cheaper depth players (2-3) with that money. The roster is thin... and currently filled with "futures players" that are only good enough for the Practice Squad. Of course, there will be the draft... but that still leaves us thin by 3-4 players.

We have playmakers... a better offensive coordinator will find a way to use them better.
        OTC pegs Pip’s fair market value at +10M yet most of TPB still doesn’t even think he can play. I think TPB is dead wrong personally.

What the entire OL needs are better rush blocking schemes as there is no physical reason why they can’t rush block NFL defenses better. Watching rush plays that imploded, multiple blockers would usually be standing nearby the crime scene, dick in hand - thats design and coaching.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Berserker76
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

OTC pegs Pip’s fair market value at +10M yet most of TPB still doesn’t even think he can play. I think TPB is dead wrong personally.

What the entire OL needs are better rush blocking schemes as there is no physical reason why they can’t rush block NFL defenses better. Watching rush plays that imploded, multiple blockers would usually be standing nearby the crime scene, dick in hand - thats design and coaching.
          Any news on getting a new Oline coach?

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Draft a LB. K9 (like him or not) is on the roster for 2023. Tranquill is not. Not many FA's will be brought back... it's more the cap than Tranquill.
            Salyer was drafted to be a LG. He can play RT... but why not draft a RT?

CB in the 1st or 2nd. RT in the 1st or 2nd. LB in the 3rd.
            Our defense needs help no doubt. But if you want to beat the best teams Herbert's going to need more weapons. I wouldn't go CB in the
            first. The DBs were the only bright spot on D.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Our defense needs help no doubt. But if you want to beat the best teams Herbert's going to need more weapons. I wouldn't go CB in the
              first. The DBs were the only bright spot on D.
              First three rounds need to be

Edge Rusher
              Difference maker at WR
              and either TE or depending on Pipkins a RT

If JC Jackson is healthy - I think CB is fine with Asante, Vato and JC. Chargers need more pass rush.

Comment

• rensoul
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2023
                • Send PM

Very few teams are paying 2 OT's good money. If I'm paying one of my OT's big money... I'm saving it for Slater when he comes due... not Pipkins.
                The LB's weren't playing their assignments... they were a big part of our run defense failure.
                Guyton and Dicker will be cheap re-signs. That's the smart move.
                Fox... it depends on his market. He was our only pass rush threat along the IDL.
                I think both can be worked out. Slater will be going into year 3 and will still be on a reasonable deal through 2025 under his 5th year option before a big money contract needs to kick in.

If Pipkins gets extended for a 3 year deal or a deal where he could be cut/traded easily after 3 years then there doesn't need to be an overlap of paying both OT's big money.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

First three rounds need to be

Edge Rusher
                  Difference maker at WR
                  and either TE or depending on Pipkins a RT

If JC Jackson is healthy - I think CB is fine with Asante, Vato and JC. Chargers need more pass rush.
                  Dominant TE.
                  More consistent pass rush, not necessarily edge. I'd like a BPA DL-ILB that has strong rush skills. Mack & Bosa are upper tier edge.
                  The ability to supplement what they bring on 3rd & longs will be a difference maker.
                  More WR speed.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2022
                    • White Rock, BC Canada
                    • Send PM

Oh, I watch the games. I think we're just focussing on different things. You can't ignore the injuries. I saw Michael Bandy. I saw Foster Sarell... and Richard Rogers... and Derek Tuzka... and several D-linemen from other people's practice squads. You couldn't miss it. TPB posters on the Game Day Threads needed a roster window up half the time just to tell who was playing where... I watched the GDT for 3 quarters before anyone identified David Moa correctly! Dudes thought it was Fehoko... with magic super-grow hair! LOL! I was watching, alright!

Let's recap, shall we...

KA averaged 7.5 catches per game and 85 yards per game over the last 8 games of the season. BoltJolt already did the extrapolation for you guys... something like 125 receptions and 1300 yards... Kellen Moore isn't strolling into Chargers Park and telling TT, "Yeah, I think we should cut KA and eat his cap hit." LOL! "I can't use a guy who gets open every play... I want to huck the ball down field into split safety coverage." And this Williams guy...? I know he's a size mismatch and all... I've seen the acrobatic catches... I know you invested the #7 pick in him... and re-signed him for $20 million... but, DANG, wasn't he hurt for 3 games last year...? And this Palmer kid... I know his production from year 1 to year 2 increased nearly 2.5 times... but hey, I'm not sure I can make a SB push with just 3 ultra-productive WR's... I might need a 1st round, post pick 21, flopper like Jahan Dotson or Treylon Burks... Oh, those guys were pre-pick 21 last year...? Then give me Christian Watson, Wan'Dale Robinson, John Metchie, Tyquan Thorton... What, you say...? These 4 (combined) couldn't equal what KA did in 8 games...?

And your RB only had 18 TD's...? Only 107 receptions...? I'm not sure I can work with that! I need some play-makers, damn it!

Shortest interview in the history of pro sports...

Yeah, I watched the games.

I'll say this again... improved OL play will make this offense explode.
                    2 Pro Bowlers missed 20+ games. Rookie guard, playing LT. Rookie LG/LT playing RG. A terrible LG. A mediocre RT.
                    Get a quality RT already! Move Salyer to LG. Let Zion learn/improve... We're so close! I bet none of you watch the OL as much as I do during the games.
                    The 4 teams in the conference finals all had WRs with YAC ability.

Chargers do not, and it is still a missing element from this offence. Burrow has a guy that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. Herbert does not.

Speed and YAC is still needed to take this offence to its top potential.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

The 4 teams in the conference finals all had WRs with YAC ability.

Chargers do not, and it is still a missing element from this offence. Burrow has a guy that can take an 8 yard pass 60 yards. Herbert does not.

Speed and YAC is still needed to take this offence to its top potential.
                      Not that I want him as he is now 30 years old but watching Diggs a lot this year: he caught a lot of what Allen threw at him; he could take a screen pass and get YAC and finally, he still had the speed to get behind DBs.

Herbert can get the ball there - but he needs a WR that can get behind DBs.

The Chargers had a very plodding offense down the field. They need to be able to create chunk yards and bigger plays. I truly am not sure its worth even keeping Allen for a pay cut as I think there is a bit of redudancy with Palmer and Williams already.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
                        Dominant TE.
                        More consistent pass rush, not necessarily edge. I'd like a BPA DL-ILB that has strong rush skills. Mack & Bosa are upper tier edge.
                        The ability to supplement what they bring on 3rd & longs will be a difference maker.
                        More WR speed.
                        Good points about getting a pass rush. Doesn't have to be from the Edge. But we agree on the same three

Kincaid from Utah might be that TE in the 1st round. I wish Bowers were draft eligible but I think he is a legit top 10 pick

Comment

• Eurobolt
                          *** Jim Harbaugh ***
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Send PM

Let's check our the biggest weaknesses at defensive and offensive ends in 2022.

Offence:

- by far Joe Lombardi was the biggest weakness, that been now dealt with and he is out. K Moore in.

whats next?
                          - In my opinion OL play,
                          We have personel but the line underachieved, hope new OC can sort this problem, plus we need to draft this part of trenches on 1st or 2nd day - deepth.

- next?
                          RB while AE30 had a great seaon Kelly is not an answer we need a power back if Spiller can be the man great but huge question marks here.

- WR
                          KA13 can play few more years the way he set his game.
                          MW just needs to be more consistent.
                          Palmer not a 1st option but can be very usable going forward.
                          If new OC will need speed we will draft day one or day two here.

Opposite to plenty here I do not see TE as position we need upgrade immediately Everet is strong blocker, good catcher at the position, combo with Parham in end zone is great I wish we would have Gates but we are ok here.

Defence

Again play caller, scheme was the biggest problem but we have not changed Staley so let him do what he can.
                          Can't see huge upgrades on personel at this part of team however I believe first three picks should be distributed between
                          OL/WR and a defensive player.

DE - Bosa / Mack is more than good hope both can stay healthy. We definitely need some pass rush, would be nice to add, do we keep KVN is Rumph making another step?
                          DT - AJ/SDJ/Fehoko/FOX for me same as TE do not think we need immediate upgrade here.
                          LB - I see a draft pick here even a 1st rounder, we need somone who would fits Staley scheme.
                          CB - Can we retain Callahan? Can JC come back after injury? that is the position where is the most question marks on the team and with all the salary cap filled in I think we will be very passive on the market but any signing will come for CB spot.
                          Safety - does it really matter? 4th or 5th rd pick here and a another player who cannot tackle.

We have no salary to make splashes like last year, need to restructure few players probably let somone go and start thinking about Herbert's new deal.

Atm we are definitely not 1 player away but if few key players could come back and stay healthy we may be close but this require smart coaching and avoiding mental mistakes.

Can Chargers be a contenders next year, I do not think so. The team will meet our expectations and come with something that will redefine Chargering again.

Bolt up.

Comment

Working...
                          X