• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wu-dai clan
    Smooth Operation
    • May 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

I am actually excited about the upcoming season. We have some difficult decisions to make on a few players and won't be big spenders in free agency but a more aggressive OC with a healthy Herbert and a young improving offensive line will be a big improvement by itself. Not going to hide under my bed sucking my thumb curled in a fetal position because the Broncos hired Payton. You want to be the best, you gotta beat the best as the corny old saying goes. Bring it on!
    Agreed.

Today, Payton said it is foreign to him, the idea of a QB having his own coach, rather than him, Sean, and the team QB coach.

Re the exciting new developments for the Chargers...

there are actually highly ranked WRs who are comped to Keenan, as a example.

Never be afraid of the future.
    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
      It's about to get real, richpjr.
      I know you can handle it.
      Definitely worried about others.
      They got this. We may not like some of what happens.

I know some think it's nuts to trade Bosa, I think it helps us. Cap relief, draft picks (for a change), hopefully a more healthy player who replaces him.

I think Keenan is with us.....somehow,...they will figure it out but some won't like it if he is gone, including me.

Other tough choices to follow. They got this, and I won't complain. So very tough choices coming.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

WR in the 7th round - thats not going to work

Chargers NEED, not want, NEED a WR by the end of the second round
        No, they don't NEED a WR. In 2021, they had WR's that had the 12th and 13th most receiving yards in the NFL... right in front of Kelce (14th most). They combined for 182 catches, 2284 yards, and 15 TD's. They also combined for 39 catches of 20+ yards. Tyreek Hill had 13 catches of 20+ yards that same year (2021).

What we NEED is for people to stop the senseless talk about trading one of the most productive WR's the league has seen over the last 6 years. It's foolishness to believe that you replace that kind of production with a 1st or 2nd round rookie WR. The evidence is overwhelming! Find a rookie WR (drafted after the 20th pick) that came close to that production.

The cap hits alone suggest that neither Allen nor Williams is getting traded or cut this season. And before you regurgitate the injury argument... injuries happen to everyone. Allen put up 5 Pro Bowl years (relatively injury-free) before last year's injury. In fact, he came back from injury and put up great numbers the 2nd part of the season. And while Allen was gone, Ekeler (107 receptions), Palmer (72 receptions), and Everett (58 receptions) all had career years.

The only thing we need is another speedy receiver that can also return punts/kickoffs... and replace DeAndre Carter cheaply. That's why Derius Davis is my choice in the 7th. He has 4.36 speed and had the 4th best punt return average in the nation last year.

Just because you WANT a WR in the 1st or 2nd round, it doesn't mean we NEED one...

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

I honestly don’t get your approach, you have the team using a number 1 pick in a position where the team has a ton of money invested and has depth already…then instead of re-signing pipkins you want to start another raw small school kid at RT and add zero depth because that worked so well last year…I really think you need a different approach…
          And I honestly don't get your claim that we are deep @CB. That "ton of money" we invested played poorly for 5 weeks... and then ruptured his patellar tendon. Google "NFL patellar rupture recovery outlook"... JCJ can not be counted on next year... maybe never. Callahan is a FA... and Staley loves a slot-corner on his defense. 3 starter CB's is a must. JaSir ain't gonna cut it. He's depth... that's it. He was horrible in the slot vs the Broncos. If that's your plan... the defense will never get off the field. OC's will pick on him mercilessly! Well get slaughtered in the playoffs vs Bengals, Chiefs, Bills, and Dolphins. Mike Davis is a FA after 2023. It would be foolish to go into 2024 with only ASJ @CB.

Unlike 2nd round rookie WR's... 2nd round rookie OT's have faired very well the last couple of years. It's a deep class (through the 2nd) round for OT's. You can't bring back Pipkins without ruining you cap for 2023 and 2024. Hell, I'd rather play Salyer @RT than Pipkins. I'd like to play Salyer @LG (instead of Feiler). But in a pinch (say the RT you want in the 2nd round is gone) I'd put Salyer @RT and draft a solid LG. Depth along the OL can be addressed through FA... for cheap. Oday Aboushi would be my choice.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2022
            • Send PM

The more I read, the more I believe it's a real possibility Keenan Allen will be playing elsewhere next season. I am not against that, although I wish Telesco had not committed so many boneheaded moves in the past to create this situation.

Cutting Allen is not an ideal scenario. But if you follow the money, it is the likeliest one.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

No, they don't NEED a WR. In 2021, they had WR's that had the 12th and 13th most receiving yards in the NFL... right in front of Kelce (14th most). They combined for 182 catches, 2284 yards, and 15 TD's. They also combined for 39 catches of 20+ yards. Tyreek Hill had 13 catches of 20+ yards that same year (2021).

What we NEED is for people to stop the senseless talk about trading one of the most productive WR's the league has seen over the last 6 years. It's foolishness to believe that you replace that kind of production with a 1st or 2nd round rookie WR. The evidence is overwhelming! Find a rookie WR (drafted after the 20th pick) that came close to that production.

The cap hits alone suggest that neither Allen nor Williams is getting traded or cut this season. And before you regurgitate the injury argument... injuries happen to everyone. Allen put up 5 Pro Bowl years (relatively injury-free) before last year's injury. In fact, he came back from injury and put up great numbers the 2nd part of the season. And while Allen was gone, Ekeler (107 receptions), Palmer (72 receptions), and Everett (58 receptions) all had career years.

The only thing we need is another speedy receiver that can also return punts/kickoffs... and replace DeAndre Carter cheaply. That's why Derius Davis is my choice in the 7th. He has 4.36 speed and had the 4th best punt return average in the nation last year.

Just because you WANT a WR in the 1st or 2nd round, it doesn't mean we NEED one...
              Watching the games, we need one.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                Smooth Operation
                • May 2017
                • Send PM

Hopefully this board simmers down a little after the Super Bowl...
                We do not play modern football.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post
                  Hopefully this board simmers down a little after the Super Bowl...
                  Not a chance
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                    Moderate Skeptic
                    • May 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Not a chance
                    We're just ramping up - the offseason is our season of hope and joy! Then the games start up again . . . . .

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Watching the games, we need one.
                      Since you watched all of the games, can you tell me how many full games KA and MW played together...? What were the results...?

Comment

• Boltnut
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

2022 WR's taken after the 20th pick:

(34) Christian Watson 41/611
                        (43) Wan'dale Robinson 23/227
                        (44) John Metchie ACL and now Leukemia
                        (50) Tyquan Thorton 22/247
                        (52) George Pickens 52/801
                        (53) Alec Pierce 41/593
                        (54) Skyy Moore 22/250

2021 WR's taken after the 20th pick:

(27) Rashod Bateman 46/515
                        (34) Elijah Moore 43/538
                        (49) Rondale Moore 54/435
                        (56) D'Wayne Eskridge 10/64
                        (57) Tutu Atwell 18/298 (career)
                        (59) Terrence Marshall 17/138

(77) Josh Palmer 33/353 (In 2022: 72/769)

I'm not cutting/trading Keenan for that!
                        No one wants to win a Super Bowl around this place...?

Comment

• Cdn Bolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Ontario , Canada
                          • Send PM

We are over the cap by $23M . They can convert some salary like for Bosa $24M and Keenan Allen $15 M to SB and prorate over 4 yrs. I figure that can save 39/4 = 9.75M x 3 yrs = $29M.

Comment

Working...
                          X