Touchy Subject....How is Derwin James "Elite"?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I said 1 game does not indicate either players overall ability. I get that cherry-picking stats works both ways. My angst with both of these guys is that when we need them to perform they haven't played up to their contracts. Pretty sure you can't say that about Nick Bosa and Parsons.

Until our best players play at a high level when it's most important they're not worthy of the contracts that are currently millstones around the team's neck. Bosa has a couple of issues. The main one is he can't stay healthy, and the 2nd is his immaturity. Derwin's harder to figure out, but we need a LOT more out of him for a guy with a $76 mil contract.

My solution; Look for a trade partner for Joey. Of the 5 guys with huge contracts he's the one (IN MY OPINION) that we need the least, and he's also young (ish). I have no idea what we could get for him with his injury history and latest antics. I'd kill for a 1st, but be satisfied with a 2nd + throw ins - maybe someone will be awed by his name and family reputation. Keep Van Noy and Mack one more year and look for a pass rusher in the draft (this year) and develop him. Derwin stays, with no contract gymnastics (at least for 23). I'm hoping that Staley finds a way to get more impact plays out of him - maybe keeping him in one position will help with that. For 76 mil I expect more than 7 picks in 50 games. Allen stays (one more year), and Williams stays. Allen and Mack MAY be candidates for kicking the can on their contracts. Accept the loss of Pipkins to FA (unless he gives the team a killer home town deal), Keep Tranq and Callahan with Pips $$$. Cut Feiler, Hopkins and the rest of the usual suspects.

If all the above goes down we'll need to prioritize pass rush, right tackle, speed receiver and ILB + IDL help in the late rounds. We'll also get Guyton back as speed depth, but we need more than 1 guy who can take the top off.

At the end of the day success in 23 will probably come down to 2 main things; 1) health, 2) whether the coaching staff can enable the players be successful (go KM). Talent will be leaving - I can't see a scenario where we don't lose someone we'd really like to keep, but that's our reality (at least for this offseason).
    What evidence do you have exactly that Bosa and Derwin haven't played at a high level when it's mattered most? James was excellent in the playoff win over Baltimore in 2018. He wasn't so much against Jacksonville. These guys have been to the playoffs just twice in their careers. Do you blame them for that? Or do you see that Bosa has played for three head coaches in seven years, and Derwin two in five?

I think you're going to be disappointed, because the guy we're likely to cut or trade is Keenan Allen. You don't give up on a pass-rusher of Bosa's caliber for a late-first or early-second-round pick, especially when he's in his late twenties.Pass-rushers are too hard to find. Wide receivers? Much easier to find.

By the way, it wasn't just one game for Nick Bosa. He had ONE hit on the opposing quarterback the ENTIRE postseason. Not good at all for whom many believe was the best defensive player in the NFL in 2022. That's not "playing at a high level when it matters most."

Cutting Allen is not an ideal scenario. But if you follow the money, it is the likeliest one.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
      Moderate Skeptic
      • May 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

What evidence do you have exactly that Bosa and Derwin haven't played at a high level when it's mattered most? James was excellent in the playoff win over Baltimore in 2018. He wasn't so much against Jacksonville. These guys have been to the playoffs just twice in their careers. Do you blame them for that? Or do you see that Bosa has played for three head coaches in seven years, and Derwin two in five?

I think you're going to be disappointed, because the guy we're likely to cut or trade is Keenan Allen. You don't give up on a pass-rusher of Bosa's caliber for a late-first or early-second-round pick, especially when he's in his late twenties.Pass-rushers are too hard to find. Wide receivers? Much easier to find.

By the way, it wasn't just one game for Nick Bosa. He had ONE hit on the opposing quarterback the ENTIRE postseason. Not good at all for whom many believe was the best defensive player in the NFL in 2022. That's not "playing at a high level when it matters most."
      Jacksonville playoff game;

LAC / DJ: 100% def snaps 9 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 0 pass defended Contract value: 76,532,000 / 4 yrs
      LAC / Gilman: 100% def snaps 5 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 1 pass defended Contract value: 3,483,204 / 4 yrs

JAX / Jenkins: 100% def snaps 7 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 1 pass defended Contract value: 35,000,000 / 4 yrs (Charger cast off).
      Note; Horvath had more tackles than Bosa in this game :killme:

It's all opinions, and I'm not interested in changing your mind - I've said my piece. We'll just have to see how it plays out. We'll know in 3 months.​

Comment

• DerwinBosa
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2022
        • Send PM

LAC / DJ: 100% def snaps 9 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 0 pass defended Contract value: 76,532,000 / 4 yrs
        LAC / Gilman: 100% def snaps 5 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 1 pass defended Contract value: 3,483,204 / 4 yrs

JAX / Jenkins: 100% def snaps 7 total tackles 0 sacks 0 ff 0 int 1 pass defended Contract value: 35,000,000 / 4 yrs (Charger cast off).

It's all opinions, and I'm not interested in changing your mind - I've said my piece. We'll just have to see how it plays out. We'll know in 3 months.​
        I don't see how this answers any of the questions I raised, starting with how is that worse than Nick Boas's one hit on a quarterback in three games? And continuing with...you're going to disregard everything Bosa and Derwin have done in their careers because of one ridiculous game in Jacksonville? Are you going to do the same for Herbert?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2022
          • Send PM

Let put this more specifically. You think because of one playoff game, there is no way, at all, that Joey Bosa and Derwin James can get it done when it matters most? In the history of the NFL, there has never been a great player who has failed in a playoff game?

Comment

• BigBad
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2019
            • Send PM

bump......seems to be awful in coverage as a safety. But what do I know?

Comment

• afboltfan3
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2023
              • Send PM

DJ is arguably our best player on the defense, now we want to blame him??? Wow...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by afboltfan3 View Post
                DJ is arguably our best player on the defense, now we want to blame him??? Wow...
                I don't think he is the issue but I think maybe just take him out of coverage and full time blitzer

Comment

• 21&500
                  Bolt Spit-Baller
                  • Sep 2018
                  • A Whale's Vajayjay
                  • CMB refugee
                  • Send PM

Can someone please pull up some basic stats on our starters to have a base to start conversation?
                  Derwin didn't have a "dominant day" from what I saw.
                  No one of defense perhaps.
                  G-Ro knows.

Comment

• afboltfan3
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Sep 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                    Can someone please pull up some basic stats on our starters to have a base to start conversation?
                    Derwin didn't have a "dominant day" from what I saw.
                    No one of defense perhaps.
                    DJ directly stopped a pass into the red zone, I'd say he did more than most yesterday.

Comment

• Icebolt
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Mar 2023
                      • Send PM

Can we NOW trade Boso?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post
                        Can we NOW trade Boso?
                        I truly do not think Telesco or Staley would have the guts to do it.

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by BigBad View Post
                          I've watched a ton of football most of my life but I am more of a basketball X&Os guy. So I'm asking the football X&O guys this question.

Is Derwin James a Joker of all trades and a master of none? What I mean by this is he gets all the votes for all pro and everyone raves about how versatile he is. That maybe true but is he an elite safety? He does a lot but I don't see elite traits in any of those things. He takes bad tackling angles at times, gets burnt in coverage, and overruns pressures. The defense also seems to play a tad more fundamental when he is out. I love the guys passion and motor but can anyone enlighten me on this? If you think I'm crazy, go ahead and tell me, that is fine because I'm just curious and probably ignorant about Football X&Os.
                          James is an elite in the box SS/LBer/pass rusher...... BUT he is too slow to be a deep cover guy in todays NFL..... if bellycheat was the HC, James would be used much more intelligently.......

We have some talent on this team but bad coaching is why they are in wrong positions, react badly, and do other stupid things like not downing ball in endzone.... or jumping offsides when you are looking at the ball a few feet away....???

This coach is also too focused on just playing the old guys...... leaving young talented players sitting on the bench.... some of those old guys (like Mack) are no longer quick enough anymore.....

Comment

Working...
                          X