• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Just me or is that have the potential to be, well, brutal?
    Not just you. Will be.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I wish I could remember the person on twitter that had the stats about the Chargers and running on first down and how bad it was

I do seem to recall nobody threw more passes on 2nd and 10+ than Herbert last year. Getting a running game is vital to helping Herbert. The Chargers cannot always be in 2nd and long and 3rd downs. Its very inefficient and will not bode well for success.

As much as I think the WR room needed a player like QJ; the offense also needs a more reliable running game
      Yep...I would have LOVED for us to take Roschon...oh, well...

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

I wish I could remember the person on twitter that had the stats about the Chargers and running on first down and how bad it was

I do seem to recall nobody threw more passes on 2nd and 10+ than Herbert last year. Getting a running game is vital to helping Herbert. The Chargers cannot always be in 2nd and long and 3rd downs. Its very inefficient and will not bode well for success.

As much as I think the WR room needed a player like QJ; the offense also needs a more reliable running game
        Agreed. IMO it's on Moore's playcalling and OL blocking 1st. but absolutely we need better run production.

Comment

• ghost
          The Rise of Kellen Moore
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Let's look where we're going in 2023 by looking back at 2021.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/202...nsive-rankings

In 2021, Kellen Moore's Cowboy offense produced the #1 total yardage offense in the league. Bucs were second. Chiefs were third. Chargers were 4th.
          Can we extrapolate from that that Moore will guide the WR-rich Chargers to the #1 yardage offense in 2023? I believe so. As far as the run game, let's take Brett Kollman at his word that the Chargers are going to effectively run the ball with Moore's predilection for inside/outside zone running schemes which A) draws more defenders into the box to get lost in the wash B) more gaps to run through over a wider surface area. Now it just takes an insert blocker and a RB who can process his keys (in tenths of a second) like Ezekiel Elliott could. I believe it is safe to say that the more reliable running game will come, through a change in scheme (and the number of blockers).

Comment

• ghost
            The Rise of Kellen Moore
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

https://silentcount.substack.com/p/h...s-are-blocking

Substack on the Cowboys zone blocking scheme

Having two TEs that can actually block on any given run play and hold their own against NFL EDGE players is an incredible luxury for any offense. Hell, having one of those guys would have most offensive coordinators doing backflips. With the ability to threaten defenses with a full range of play designs in the run & pass games allows offensive coordinator Kellen Moore to dial up plays based on how defenses match their 2-TE looks.

Best description I've read of how Kellen Moore operates using 12 personnel, and a good breakdown of Moore's offense and their ability to run Outside or Inside Zone (Inside zone runs to the “open side” away from an attached TE) out of both 12 personnel and 11 personnel.

The 12 personnel version came out of the Cowboys preferred “Hip” formation. Hip formations - also known as Wing - are when the two TEs are aligned next to each other attached to the formation. It is a nice versatile formation because of the availability of runs and passes from it (if you have the personnel for it, of course). It can also help get defenses to declare their coverage intent pre-snap based on where you align the WRs as well.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Thanks ghost. I really enjoy the Moore blocking schemes.

Comment

• Topcat
                AKA "Pollcat"
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

Having two TEs that can actually block on any given run play and hold their own against NFL EDGE players is an incredible luxury for any offense. Hell, having one of those guys would have most offensive coordinators doing backflips. With the ability to threaten defenses with a full range of play designs in the run & pass games allows offensive coordinator Kellen Moore to dial up plays based on how defenses match their 2-TE looks.

Best description I've read of how Kellen Moore operates using 12 personnel, and a good breakdown of Moore's offense and their ability to run Outside or Inside Zone (Inside zone runs to the “open side” away from an attached TE) out of both 12 personnel and 11 personnel.

The 12 personnel version came out of the Cowboys preferred “Hip” formation. Hip formations - also known as Wing - are when the two TEs are aligned next to each other attached to the formation. It is a nice versatile formation because of the availability of runs and passes from it (if you have the personnel for it, of course). It can also help get defenses to declare their coverage intent pre-snap based on where you align the WRs as well.
                I'm hip to that hip formation...sounds like a real matchup issue for the opposing D...

Comment

• Icebolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Mar 2023
                  • Send PM

Let's look where we're going in 2023 by looking back at 2021.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/202...nsive-rankings

In 2021, Kellen Moore's Cowboy offense produced the #1 total yardage offense in the league. Bucs were second. Chiefs were third. Chargers were 4th.
                  Can we extrapolate from that that Moore will guide the WR-rich Chargers to the #1 yardage offense in 2023? I believe so. As far as the run game, let's take Brett Kollman at his word that the Chargers are going to effectively run the ball with Moore's predilection for inside/outside zone running schemes which A) draws more defenders into the box to get lost in the wash B) more gaps to run through over a wider surface area. Now it just takes an insert blocker and a RB who can process his keys (in tenths of a second) like Ezekiel Elliott could. I believe it is safe to say that the more reliable running game will come, through a change in scheme (and the number of blockers).
                  This makes little sense. Cowgirls have had an awesome OL. That is a big if.

Comment

• Icebolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2023
                    • Send PM

This really makes we wonder why no TE was drafted!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Icebolt View Post

have had as in when? sure, there have been great Cowboy OLs. was last year's OL "great" - beats me, the few games I watched, they didn't strike me as all-world at all. They had one pro bowler OL last year, one of their OGs - which I concede doesn't prove or disprove much in a 16 team conference.

I hope/think (hink or thope) there success has moore to it than simply having best players.
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

This really makes we wonder why no TE was drafted!
                        The Chargers have 6 TEs on the current roster. Moore is well known for working with what he has had in the past.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Chargers are comparable talent wise. We will be better now that we have the best OC.

Comment

Working...
                          X