• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

Sounds a lot like the New Orleans strategy of pushing the bill forward that they did during the tail end of Brees's career and last off-season. Eventually the bill will come due and good players will be lost regardless but it's a viable band-aid solution if the team really thinks they should go all in for 2023.
    Exactly. Thats a bad solution to extend Allen when he is going to 31.5 when the season starts; extending JC Jackson when he might not be the same player would also be short sighted. Extending Ekeler and Davis by a year to create cap space - that not bad as both still have years left.

The Saints are in the predicament they are in as they kept kicking the can on players. Look at Cam Jordan,. his cap hit this year is 25; if they release him, you know how much cap savings he will be, 2m

there is a strategy to cap management. And I think a team four wins from the Super Bowl title is not close enough to push the chips in. Give them credit, they tried last year but that doesn't mean you just create a smaller window

Comment

• AK47
      Registered Charger Fan
      • May 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

We have good players but we don't have championship level players. They can all go. Every single guy who was on the field in Jacksonville is mentally damaged.
      Winning games will cure those playoff blues. Consider this was the 1st playoff for many guys as well. I think it makes our guys stronger through experience. BUT you are correct. The next level of this pro game is mental. Gonna be interesting because we in this forum are keen to spotting mental weakness from miles away.

Comment

• SK21209
        Registered Charger Fan
        • May 2020
        • San Diego
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Exactly. Thats a bad solution to extend Allen when he is going to 31.5 when the season starts; extending JC Jackson when he might not be the same player would also be short sighted. Extending Ekeler and Davis by a year to create cap space - that not bad as both still have years left.

The Saints are in the predicament they are in as they kept kicking the can on players. Look at Cam Jordan,. his cap hit this year is 25; if they release him, you know how much cap savings he will be, 2m

there is a strategy to cap management. And I think a team four wins from the Super Bowl title is not close enough to push the chips in. Give them credit, they tried last year but that doesn't mean you just create a smaller window
        The difference between us and the Saints is our star QB is 24 while Brees was way past 30 when they started treating their cap like a credit card. Besides Slater, there probably won't be a single guy on the current roster that is still here playing with 32 year old Herbert. We're going to have to completely flip his supporting cast anyway, so I'm fine with manipulating contracts to hold onto talent now if it means there is going to be pain 2 or 3 years from now. At that point Herbert will be squarely in his prime, and if he's good as we all think he is he'll be able to cover up a lot of holes in the roster while we build back up.

The Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010 with a loaded roster on both sides of the ball and then went 15-1 the following season. A couple of "down" years as the roster turned over, then they were right back in the NFC championship 2/3 years from 2014 through 2016. A couple more down years as the roster turned over again, then 13 wins for three straight years. Generational QBs really help to accelerate those soft rebuilds, so I'm fine creating a short window for us now given how long of a runway we have with Herbert.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by SK21209 View Post

The difference between us and the Saints is our star QB is 24 while Brees was way past 30 when they started treating their cap like a credit card. Besides Slater, there probably won't be a single guy on the current roster that is still here playing with 32 year old Herbert. We're going to have to completely flip his supporting cast anyway, so I'm fine with manipulating contracts to hold onto talent now if it means there is going to be pain 2 or 3 years from now. At that point Herbert will be squarely in his prime, and if he's good as we all think he is he'll be able to cover up a lot of holes in the roster while we build back up.

The Packers won the Super Bowl in 2010 with a loaded roster on both sides of the ball and then went 15-1 the following season. A couple of "down" years as the roster turned over, then they were right back in the NFC championship 2/3 years from 2014 through 2016. A couple more down years as the roster turned over again, then 13 wins for three straight years. Generational QBs really help to accelerate those soft rebuilds, so I'm fine creating a short window for us now given how long of a runway we have with Herbert.
          Good point about the time line. I guess its by individual player

Ekeler and Davis - if they extend to create cap space - -makes sense

Somebody mentioned JC Jackson - with his health issues, that could go sideways. Lets see how he returns healthy

Mack and Allen - not at their ages because they are close to the end

Bosa -- tricky one - but I probably would be okay moving money down the road

Somebody mentioned it earlier or another thread
          Release Feiler and Hopkins
          Extend Vato and Ekeler
          REstructure Bosa

For Allen - maybe move a few million, he takes a modest pay cut. Still gets say 15m of cash but his cap number drops by 8m

Chargers should be good cap wise this year

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Mack and Allen - not at their ages because they are close to the end
            Allen is only 30 and since speed was never his strong suit, he will age better than other receivers. I can easily seem him playing at a very high level for 4 or 5 more seasons, if not more.

Comment

• Boltjolt
              Dont let the PBs fool ya
              • Jun 2013
              • Henderson, NV
              • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Allen is only 30 and since speed was never his strong suit, he will age better than other receivers. I can easily seem him playing at a very high level for 4 or 5 more seasons, if not more.
              Agree, but they may ask for a restructure of some sort, move some money around.

Other than that, I'll let B4K be wrong about him decending and career being almost over,.... like he was wrong about MW.

Other than hammy injury, Keenan has showed no signs of slowing down.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Other than that, I'll let B4K be wrong about him decending and career being almost over,.... like he was wrong about MW.

That makes sense and given TT's comments about Allen, would keep him around while freeing up cap space this year.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

I can be wrong - I don't give a shit

But,, I still think is a descending player. I am not sure what film you watched but I saw a guy that cannot create separation as often as earlier in his career; doesn't have as much YAC as earlier in his career. Still a very precise route runner and does move the chains. But doesn't get much more yards after that. Name me the last time he beat somebody deep like Stephon Diggs does almost every game whether the pass is complete or not - Diggs is behind the DB(s). Name me the last time he took a screen and ran through the defense like Deebo does for a 35yard catch and run score

Fine if you think that is worth 19m of salary - okay. I just don't. And I also think if the team wants to get better on offense - they need more dynamic playmakers who can improve the offense and create chunk plays.

Comment

• chargeroo
                    Fan since 1961
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Oregon
                    • Retired Manager/Pastor
                    • Send PM

KA never was a big YAC kind of player. He finds the open area and catches the ball and usually, he gets tackled right there. The fact remains, he's by far the most reliable receiver we have for converting third downs. I do think he's worth his $20m salary. In todays NFL that's not a bad salary for a WR. I think you are underestimating his value. Check out how our offense did while he was out with the hammy last year.

You sure are right that we could use a guy that can turn the short stuff into big gains but you don't get that simply by ridding yourself of your most dependable WR.
                    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

I can be wrong - I don't give a shit

But,, I still think is a descending player. I am not sure what film you watched but I saw a guy that cannot create separation as often as earlier in his career; doesn't have as much YAC as earlier in his career. Still a very precise route runner and does move the chains. But doesn't get much more yards after that. Name me the last time he beat somebody deep like Stephon Diggs does almost every game whether the pass is complete or not - Diggs is behind the DB(s). Name me the last time he took a screen and ran through the defense like Deebo does for a 35yard catch and run score

Fine if you think that is worth 19m of salary - okay. I just don't. And I also think if the team wants to get better on offense - they need more dynamic playmakers who can improve the offense and create chunk plays.
                      I saw the film where he had 60 receptions in his last 8 regular season games,(50 on last 6 games if you include playoffs) 4 TDs a higher YPC than he has had the last 2 years...you know, pre 30 years old and was by far our best WR down the stretch.

Ended with 752 yards in 10 games and two of those he played last than a half in each. One was 2 series.

I agree they may do something with his money....I'm with you there, but the only reason we are talking about Keenan is his cap hit.
                      You are the only one , well maybe one other,......saying his is decending.

Your talent eye clearly isn't very good while also wanting to trade MW and said he wasn't worth 15 mil , then when put in a more featured offense, he had a career year. Then you loved him. And you want us to sign every scrub that gets released.

Speed doesn't make a good WR or Guyton wouldn't be out #4 and Isabella would have more than 3 reception the last 2 years.

It's nice but speed isn't everything but i absolutely agree , we can use another speed reciever in the mix.

Just stating facts.
                      Last edited by Boltjolt; 02-02-2023, 01:55 PM.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I saw the film where he had 60 receptions in his last 8 regular season games,(50 on last 6 games if you include playoffs) 4 TDs a higher YPC than he has had the last 2 years...you know, pre 30 years old and was by far our best WR down the stretch.

Ended with 752 yards in 10 games and two of those he played last than a half in each. One was 2 series.

I agree they may do something with his money....I'm with you there, but the only reason we are talking about Keenan is his cap hit.
                        You are the only one , well maybe one other,......saying his is decending.

Your talent eye clearly isn't very good while also wanting to trade MW and said he wasn't worth 15 mil , then when put in a more featured offense, he had a career year. Then you loved him. And you want us to sign every scrub that gets released.

Speed doesn't make a good WR or Guyton wouldn't be out #4 and Isabella would have more than 3 reception the last 2 years.

It's nice but speed isn't everything but i absolutely agree , we can use another speed reciever in the mix.

Just stating facts.
                        Exactly. Thats life in the NFL. These are decisions that need to be made from both a short-term and long-term perspective.

ASk a Vikings fan of 20 years - do you want to cut Harrison Smith and Adam Thielen (and I get Smith is more in-line with Allen from years and production). Answer is probably no - but some times these are the decisions

As for Allen - I am not sure whats wrong with saying he is a descending player. He is not better than he was 5 years ago - how as that not a factual statement.

Comment

• BoltUp InLA
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2020
                          • Send PM

Kellen Moore brings experience and he has done some nice things too. I am surprised he came available. He might be exactly what the Chargers need right now. Even with the ridiculous number of injuries, the defense did get better overall. It will be interesting to see what happens during the offseason. Are both Davis and Pipkins signed to long term deals? Does Salyer kick inside and take Feiler’s spot? If so, will that be an easy transition and use of his skillset?

Comment

Working...
                          X