• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jamrock
    lawyers, guns and money
    • Sep 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

I can attest-- when you were in the presence of Sid Gillman, you knew you were in the presence of a really good human being. I was a relative nobody, but he spoke with me, and dealt with me, in a way that felt like he was my uncle.
    Very nice to know. I think Roo may be right about him being the best Charger coach

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
      Beef Before Gazelles
      • May 2021
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

Agreed. I subscribed to it. For a couple of years, I was shipped off to company HQ in NJ and getting Charger news was nearly impossible so I really enjoyed it while I was there.
      I saw an ad for CFW in a Street & Smith's draft guide when I was in grad school in San Jose. The year was 1982, and it was close to impossible to get news about your team, if your team wasn't local.

So I subscribed. It was mostly a rah-rah fan mag, although there was one good writer, and... you remember the Draft Previews they'd have with Duke Peasley? They were the very best thing CFW ever did. Peasley was, I'm sure, more than 80 years old at the time, but was a local guy who meticulously followed college football and CFW featured him in the issues leading up to the draft.

But I remember my overall opinion of CFW being, "Uh... EYE could write better stuff than THIS..." I told myself that if I ever lived in the San Diego area again, I'd contact CFW about writing for them.

I moved back to San Diego in August of '85, and as I recall, my first article for them was coverage of the first round of the '86 draft, in which the Bolts selected both Leslie O'Neal and James Fitzpatrick.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
        Is this Ed too tall White ?
        Ha! No Ed wasn't too tall.

When I was a kid (mid-70's) I used to go to Gary Cunningham's basketball camp during the summer. The camp was held at Cal Lutheran in Thousand Oaks. The Dallas Cowboys used to hold training camp there at the same time. They used to eat in the same cafeteria. I stood right next to Ed "Too Tall" Jones once. That was the largest human being I had ever seen! I was about 5 foot 4 inches at the time.
        Last edited by Boltnut; 08-17-2023, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I saw an ad for CFW in a Street & Smith's draft guide when I was in grad school in San Jose. The year was 1982, and it was close to impossible to get news about your team, if your team wasn't local.

So I subscribed. It was mostly a rah-rah fan mag, although there was one good writer, and... you remember the Draft Previews they'd have with Duke Peasley? They were the very best thing CFW ever did. Peasley was, I'm sure, more than 80 years old at the time, but was a local guy who meticulously followed college football and CFW featured him in the issues leading up to the draft.

But I remember my overall opinion of CFW being, "Uh... EYE could write better stuff than THIS..." I told myself that if I ever lived in the San Diego area again, I'd contact CFW about writing for them.

I moved back to San Diego in August of '85, and as I recall, my first article for them was coverage of the first round of the '86 draft, in which the Bolts selected both Leslie O'Neal and James Fitzpatrick.
          I remember you and Duke both, GoQ. I clammered for Charger news up here in San Jose, Raider Country. I was thrilled to be a long time subscriber to CFW.

The Chargers were so bad after Gillman. Nothing could get in the way of loyalty. How about that famous Tommy Prothro draft ?

Gary "Big Hands" Johnson. DT.
          Mike Williams. CB.
          Louie Kelcher. DT.
          Fred Dean. DE.
          Mike Fuller. S.
          Billy Shields. OT.
          Rickey Young. RB.

All starters.
          One draft.
          Fred Dean. HOF.

Also Ralph Peratta. Not a bad depth piece at G.
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
            Moderate Skeptic
            • May 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

Raises hand. Loved watching Ed.
            I met Ed at the city of San Diego building dept (years ago during his playing days). It was the offseason and he was pulling some kind of permit for his house (remodel, pool - something like that). The group of guys waiting in line just kind of gathered around him and started asking him questions (about football). He was very gracious and kept us entertained for a bit while we all waited for our turn at the counter.

Dude wasn't real tall but was monstrously wide and thick. These guys playing professional sports are really aliens . . . . . . . . . . . . or an upgraded version of human.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

I remember you and Duke both, GoQ. I clammered for Charger news up here in San Jose, Raider Country. I was thrilled to be a long time subscriber to CFW.

The Chargers were so bad after Gillman. Nothing could get in the way of loyalty. How about that famous Tommy Prothro draft ?

Mike Williams. CB.
              Louie Kelcher. DT.
              Fred Dean. DE.
              Mike Fuller. S.
              Billy Shields. OT.
              Rickey Young. RB.

All starters.
              One draft.
              Fred Dean. HOF.

and Rickey Young was traded straight up for pro bowler Ed White a few years later.

Comment

• YAC
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2023
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
                I disagree, Kendricks is also good in coverage. The Jaguars ran short pass patterns all over the middle in that playoff game. Tranquill was targetted over and over in that game.
                PFF grade, run defense:
                Kendricks, 81.1
                Tranquill, 48.8

PFF coverage grade:
                Kendricks, 46.4
                Tranquill, 76.7​

PFF isn't gospel, but they rarely miss wildly on grades. That's nearly big a disparity as you'll see.

As a younger player Eric was good in coverage.

In 2022 however, he allowed 63 of 85 passes into his coverage to be completed, a 74.1% average. Those catches went for 583 yards. He allowed a passer rating of 100.3 and 2 TDs. We can hope some of his decline was due to a change in Vikings Def coordinator and scheme, and isn't age-baked.

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

After the draft Coryell said, “I’ve dreamed about Leslie O’Neal.”

What a great player.
                  Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                  The Wasted Decade is done.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• OG619FrightninLightnin
                    Let's do this!
                    • Aug 2022
                    • Raleigh N. Carolina
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Mike Williams. CB.
                    Louie Kelcher. DT.
                    Fred Dean. DE.
                    Mike Fuller. S.
                    Billy Shields. OT.
                    Rickey Young. RB.

All starters.
                    One draft.
                    Fred Dean. HOF.

A guy in the row behind me (Lodge 2 row 4) started the LOOOOOOOOUIE after he made a play.

So many good memories.

Comment

• FoutsFan
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Birmingham AL
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

PFF grade, run defense:
                      Kendricks, 81.1
                      Tranquill, 48.8

PFF coverage grade:
                      Kendricks, 46.4
                      Tranquill, 76.7​

PFF isn't gospel, but they rarely miss wildly on grades. That's nearly big a disparity as you'll see.

In 2022 however, he allowed 63 of 85 passes into his coverage to be completed, a 74.1% average. Those catches went for 583 yards. He allowed a passer rating of 100.3 and 2 TDs. We can hope some of his decline was due to a change in Vikings Def coordinator and scheme, and isn't age-baked.
                      I think you meant to say PFF rarely is anywhere close to accurate with their grades.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by OG619FrightninLightnin View Post

A guy in the row behind me (Lodge 2 row 4) started the LOOOOOOOOUIE after he made a play.

So many good memories.
                        Louie was great, Big Hands was even better. that was a great DL. I had season tickets in that era, I remember the LOOOOOOOUIE chants, tv audiences thought it was boos at first.
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

PFF grade, run defense:
                          Kendricks, 81.1
                          Tranquill, 48.8

PFF coverage grade:
                          Kendricks, 46.4
                          Tranquill, 76.7​

Do me a favor... go back and watch the Jax playoff game. Specifically watch Tranquill. Specifically his pass defense. He sucked. No way in hell PFF gave him a 76.7 grade that game. The defense (specifically Tranquill) couldn't stop anything in that game... the offense produced zilch. That's why Tranquill and Lombardi are gone. They didn't do their jobs. No curse... no "Chargering"... they couldn't handle the job.

Tranquill was also responsible for wearing the dot and getting guys lined up correctly. Again, Tranquill couldn't handle the job. Don't rely on my opinion... don't rely on PFF's opinion... go ask his teammates (specifically Sebastian Joseph-Day)...

Comment

Working...
                          X