• Bolt4Knob
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Dec 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    https://theathletic.com/4505953/2023...shared_article

Popper has them at 9-8 citing concerns about depth
    This has been my concern this offseason -
    I think the team can improve with continuity, chemistry and maybe a better OC
    But the depth of the team is still - who knows
    Popper makes good points
    And 9-8 would be the worst record as it probably buys Telesco another year

Right now, I thionk either very good or it will blow up in their face. I am still bullish on the very good - but its like 60/40

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

QFT
      I just hope I am wrong about the season. But I have mixed feelings so far as the team is not close enough to compete with KC and thats the bar. Telesco and Staley are coming back with the same team and hoping for fewer injuries and a better OC. The defense hasn't improved. I still think the depth at TE, Interior DL, the DBs is kind of weak.

His 9-8 is pretty accurate. And thats not good enough

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

I just hope I am wrong about the season. But I have mixed feelings so far as the team is not close enough to compete with KC and thats the bar. Telesco and Staley are coming back with the same team and hoping for fewer injuries and a better OC. The defense hasn't improved. I still think the depth at TE, Interior DL, the DBs is kind of weak.

This team has the talent to do better.
        It's disconcerting that they don't have proven depth at edge/center/safety...; but every team is that way

In my mind, it all comes down to Staley, the coaching staff, & to a smaller extent, health.

9 - 8 / 10 - 7 would be under achieving.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

This team has the talent to do better.
          It's disconcerting that they don't have proven depth at edge/center/safety...; but every team is that way

In my mind, it all comes down to Staley, the coaching staff, & to a smaller extent, health.

9 - 8 / 10 - 7 would be under achieving.
          For sure, this season should be a final referendum on both Staley and Telesco
          either they succeed or they need to be fired.

Comment

• Boltjolt
            Dont let the PBs fool ya
            • Jun 2013
            • Henderson, NV
            • Send PM

It's not the same team. We got better depth at edge, OL and even DL though part of that is a 6th round rookie.

The fact we go in with key players healthy boosts the team imo a lot.

What are the odds that Slater misses 15 games again or Herbert breaks ribs again in week 2?

They upgraded LB alot imo woth Kendricks and Henley and WR has better depth. Not worried about TE. Only concerned a little with Parham being a china doll but we'll see.

Hopefully some young guys improve as they should and they aren't done. Could add a couple cheap vets or even a trade could happen though unlikely with Telesco.

Imo our best off-season move was getting Kellen Moore.

You seem to be in panic mode before the team is even done being put together.

Comment

• powderblueboy
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jul 2017
              • Send PM

If Parham is sidelined and McKitty never wakes up, getting a rent-a-vet tight end midseason is typically an option.... not that Telesco would ever do that.

Telesco is a batten the hatches type of guy when the storm hits.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

I just hope I am wrong about the season. But I have mixed feelings so far as the team is not close enough to compete with KC and thats the bar.
                We must be watching different games because the Chargers lost both games by 3 pts each and were in position to win both matchups. Some might argue the Chargers out-played the Chiefs in both games but unfortunate circumstances swung the game(s) to the Chiefs. You might want to review the game film from last season.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

It's not the same team. We got better depth at edge, OL and even DL though part of that is a 6th round rookie.

The fact we go in with key players healthy boosts the team imo a lot.

What are the odds that Slater misses 15 games again or Herbert breaks ribs again in week 2?

They upgraded LB alot imo woth Kendricks and Henley and WR has better depth. Not worried about TE. Only concerned a little with Parham being a china doll but we'll see.

Hopefully some young guys improve as they should and they aren't done. Could add a couple cheap vets or even a trade could happen though unlikely with Telesco.

Imo our best off-season move was getting Kellen Moore.

You seem to be in panic mode before the team is even done being put together.
                  I understand health is important factor - especially along the OL, WR and DL but

Better depth at Edge - how. they lost KVN and replaced him with a rookie.

Kendricks is better than Tranquill
                  But the safety play - do you trust it
                  the TE play has not improved
                  RB is too be determined

I agree about Moore being a possible upgrade - we agree that that could have the biggest impact

Granted you are right - every team has questions that have to be answered. Even the Chiefs

Comment

• Topcat
                    AKA "Pollcat"
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

This has been my concern this offseason -
                    I think the team can improve with continuity, chemistry and maybe a better OC
                    But the depth of the team is still - who knows
                    Popper makes good points
                    And 9-8 would be the worst record as it probably buys Telesco another year

Right now, I thionk either very good or it will blow up in their face. I am still bullish on the very good - but its like 60/40
                    To shore up depth issues, I think the Bolts need:

1. One decent vet C-G backup. Clapp and Jaimes are not good depth.
                    2. One decent vet DT-Edge, in case any of our starters get injured (Tuli does help though)...
                    3. One decent vet CB backup to avoid the Vato fiasco in the Jags game...
                    4. One decent vet RB to compete with Spiller/Horvath...
                    5. One decent vet safety...

Now, if any of those UDFA's really shine in practice and preseason games, maybe one or two of them step up instead of a vet...

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                      If Parham is sidelined and McKitty never wakes up, getting a rent-a-vet tight end midseason is typically an option.... not that Telesco would ever do that.

Telesco is a batten the hatches type of guy when the storm hits.
                      Yep, so true...I'd rather sign a decent vet in the offseason, rather than scrape the bottom of the FA barrel in mid-season...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

To shore up depth issues, I think the Bolts need:

1. One decent vet C-G backup. Clapp and Jaimes are not good depth.
                        2. One decent vet DT-Edge, in case any of our starters get injured (Tuli does help though)...
                        3. One decent vet CB backup to avoid the Vato fiasco in the Jags game...
                        4. One decent vet RB to compete with Spiller/Horvath...
                        5. One decent vet safety...

Now, if any of those UDFA's really shine in practice and preseason games, maybe one or two of them step up instead of a vet...
                        The Chargers have a bit of cap space - so unless for the veterans minimum, they cannot sign a bunch of players - but they should be able to sign
                        -- a couple players in the 2-3m range
                        -- a couple veteran minimum guys

The Chargers signed Kyle Van Noy and Callahan on May 7 and May 4 respectively last year. My choices would be Swaim at TE; maybe bring back Callahan for the vet minimum; a guy like JJ3 or DB help if not Callahan; I agree about IOL - with Jaimes and Clapp and RB - there is one name for the right price that would be the best choice.

So that isn't to say Telesco might not have more moves - but so far, later than last year

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

I understand health is important factor - especially along the OL, WR and DL but

Better depth at Edge - how. they lost KVN and replaced him with a rookie.

Kendricks is better than Tranquill
                          But the safety play - do you trust it
                          the TE play has not improved
                          RB is too be determined

I agree about Moore being a possible upgrade - we agree that that could have the biggest impact

Granted you are right - every team has questions that have to be answered. Even the Chiefs
                          They replaced him with a rookie with more upside.
                          KVN was signed last year to be depth at inside linebacker and ended up playing edge more because of injuries. And who knows, maybe they'll resign them back. I'd rather have him at Edge depth than Tuszca...whatever his name is.
                          I'm not really concerned about safety. I'm not even sure safety was a concern going into the draft. Nickelback perhaps.

Comment

Working...
                          X