• Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post
    dmac_bolt for me you couldn’t be more wrong when you say there’s nothing personal that binds you to the team. For those of us who grew up on Chargers football with family members who are no longer around it is personal. Maybe what you’re saying has validity for carpetbaggers or bandwagoners (although it would be odd to pick this franchise) but that’s probably a small number. There’s a tradition to it and memories around it.

mid it was just a personal entertainment choice I would guess most would choose another team to be entertained by. Maybe one with more success and joy around it. I don’t pay attention to music or tv shows that let me down every year. That’s fo sho.
    Actually my point was that teams are entertainment businesses and are not emotionally bound to their followers as much as us followers would like to desire or believe. They are all for brand and consumer loyalty as that improves business, all businesses are all for that. but it won’t get in the way of real business decisions.

I am every bit as “bound” to my Chargers as you. That is what makes Chargers a unique entertainment diversion for me. I also go back decades. But I’m also a grown adult man who sees and deals with reality. I am not bound to Chargers because I expect them to reciprocate my affection. Teams do not love us - you can make your own personal decision on what that means to you. It seems you did, as you are here. I made mine long ago. I don’t bother fretting on things that just “are”.

My view of a new NFL stadium is SD should have stepped up and made it happen. A 60,000+ seat stadium is civic infrastructure that brings benefits to cities. It is used year-round and NFL was the only rationale to build it for all uses. I know of the “analyses” concluding governments lose money but my response is always “compared to what?”. I’ll stop before it turns political, needless to say there’s a lot of spending on a lot of things. SD political debate wasn’t even really about if it would lose money but more about would it benefit a business. That is petty politics imo but it worked.

I have no idea how SDSU control of the property can make a lot of money given they are government and government doesn’t make money, they spend money. the fact is the Chargers needed a new facility - Qualcomm was a dump. It was never a good football venue as it was designed to be all-purpose. The result is a great benefit to SDSU, obviously. Is it more important to grow SDSU and add more govt faculty, staff, and govt-paid researchers? Idunno, it’s not to me - I wanted an NFL stadium. It worked politically for them, kudos.

the word carpetbagger has a more specific political officeholder meaning than you use it for but I get your point. LA and San Diego both have a lot of transplants, not really a huge difference between the two anymore imo. We also both have much more extensive entertainment options. When we grew up, San Diegans were from San Diego.
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The NFL has its propaganda. The whole I do it for the team thing is a facade.​

Freemasons control society from behind the scenes. This might be unsettling to people. What you say about Dean and his sons isn't uncommon and is something that goes on in the world when it comes to businesses and government. The NFL is controlled by the mafia from behind closed doors.
      I’d disagree about the Freemasons control of SD local politics, but you’re pointed in the right direction that NFL team loyalty propaganda is a business marketing strategy. Loyalty to any brand increases brand revenue and profit margin - Coke, Tide, McDonalds, NFL, whoever. Coke and McDonalds love us too

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

LOL.....SDSU isnt going to bring the city much revenue. They still suck for one thing. Its never going to be a college that attracts high profile football players. Also the Padres wouldnt be there if the City had their way. It took years for it to finally be approved to build their stadium.
        The City of SD is run by a bunch or morons.

By turning away the Chargers the city also turned away super bowls as the NFL would love to have SBs there with a new stadium. No revenue in that? It will take SDSU years to equal the revenue that just 1 SB would bring.

I get CA is a tax hell to be in but people wanting to come to SD would pay the hotel tax, It sure didnt stop them from coming to Las Vegas when the hotel tax helped pay for the Raiders stadium.

The Hotels are still charging the tax and people are still coming. LV isnt near what it used to be as far as being cheap. I dont know why people would want to come here at all anymore as its expensive as F now.
        You're looking at the MV site in terms of football only. The city is looking at it in a holistic manner.
        1) The city sold the land to SDSU for $86+million dollars... not to mention it no longer has to incur the cost of maintaining the land.
        2) The revenue generated by football games is a small portion of the overall revenue that will come from that development. San Diego has a vibrant bio-med industry and engineering industry. Those classrooms and research facilities will serve the general community and economy exponentially more than any football revenue that a SB (once every 10 years or so) could generate. Expanded enrollment (tuitions paid and tax revenues from high paying jobs) and retail business will dwarf any extra revenue that an additional 30,000 seats might provide. Have you been on SDSU's campus lately? It looks nothing like it used to. Retail partnerships are integrated all around the campus. The same will happen at the new West Campus in Mission Valley.
        3) While Las Vegas competes with no one nearby, the San Diego hotel market must compete with the nation's 2nd biggest city for vacationers. Since the Raider's new stadium, the hotel taxes have increased dramatically in LV. I no longer go there because the cost has increased so much over the last 5 years. People may still come... but for every dollar spent on hotel tax that is a dollar that is not spent on other goods/services.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Wow, Josh Palmer goes in IR. Out a minimum of 4 games. Guyton and Tito activated

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

The NFL has its propaganda. The whole I do it for the team thing is a facade.

Freemasons control society from behind the scenes. This might be unsettling to people. What you say about Dean and his sons isn't uncommon and is something that goes on in the world when it comes to businesses and government. The NFL is controlled by the mafia from behind closed doors.
            The bolded above are beyond my pay-grade... so I won't elaborate. My post was more about the difference in mentality between my teammates and our privileged opponents. They simply didn't understand us and in doing so mis-calculated our abilities.

To go into more detail... they greeted us in the parking lot with fancy cars and trophy-girlfriends on their arms. I'm guessing they thought we'd be impressed... maybe intimidated. We simply sent our country-strong farm-boys and pony-tailed, American-Indian kids off the bus first. Big dudes that made the bus rock every time one of them stepped off the bus. You know... actual intimidating factors. Normally, this made an impression on little guys like Johnny Spanos.

Comment

• Bolt-O
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Wow, Josh Palmer goes in IR. Out a minimum of 4 games. Guyton and Tito activated

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

Odd since he came back in the game. Any word on what his knee injury is? I assume a sprain but again, he continued to play in the game so kinda weird

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

You're looking at the MV site in terms of football only. The city is looking at it in a holistic manner.
                  1) The city sold the land to SDSU for $86+million dollars... not to mention it no longer has to incur the cost of maintaining the land.
                  2) The revenue generated by football games is a small portion of the overall revenue that will come from that development. San Diego has a vibrant bio-med industry and engineering industry. Those classrooms and research facilities will serve the general community and economy exponentially more than any football revenue that a SB (once every 10 years or so) could generate. Expanded enrollment (tuitions paid and tax revenues from high paying jobs) and retail business will dwarf any extra revenue that an additional 30,000 seats might provide. Have you been on SDSU's campus lately? It looks nothing like it used to. Retail partnerships are integrated all around the campus. The same will happen at the new West Campus in Mission Valley.
                  3) While Las Vegas competes with no one nearby, the San Diego hotel market must compete with the nation's 2nd biggest city for vacationers. Since the Raider's new stadium, the hotel taxes have increased dramatically in LV. I no longer go there because the cost has increased so much over the last 5 years. People may still come... but for every dollar spent on hotel tax that is a dollar that is not spent on other goods/services.
                  $86 is a one shot squirt. Big deal, Spanos was going to put down a lot more than $86M between them and the league at one point.

They wouldn’t maintain the land regardless of how they allowed redevelopment

Classrooms and research facilities are paid by govt funds - that is tax dollars. SDSU is not a for-profit university, its not making money off of students and researchers.

Tax revenues from school workers are taxes from wages paid from taxes. The net amount workers keep is a net tax cost, not saving.

Retail partnerships sounds like what the Chargers wanted lol …

Las Vegas sucks. San Diego is beautiful.

I don’t think SDSU development in itself is bad, and its better than a lot of other stupid ideas like creating a natural preserve or something inanely gesture-driven. but the majority of the land will be used by the university - which is tax exempt and will not pay taxes on the land they utilize. SDSU doesn’t pay property taxes on campus real estate, they won’t pay them in MV. 100% utilization by greedy capitalists would pay taxes on 100% of the land, SDSU related “partners” will pay taxes on 10% or so - thats bad math to think SDSU related activities will pay more taxes. Greedy capitalist wages are also not paid out of tax revenue, SDSU workers are. SDSU use is a net cost to the tax funds and the only argument would be that all of this magic research will generate new fabulous industries that employ 10s of 1000s. SDSU is not a major research institution, State Universities were not set up to do that - they were set up to educate students. UCSD is a research institution. That was always one of the arguments keeping them out of Pac12, it didn’t just suddenly flip.

Comment

• Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

I hate to be the wet blanket, but lets not use this thread for bashing ownership, or city politics, unless they are making current news. Points here are valid, just misplaced.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

The annual economic impact of SDSU Mission Valley is estimated at approximately $3 billion, including $21 million in annual tax revenue for the City of San Diego.

Based on a fall 2017 report, SDSU today generates more than $5.67 billion in economic impact and approximately $457 million annually in tax revenue streams for state and local governments. We also know that for every 10,000 additional graduates, an estimated $200 million in annual economic output is generated for the regional economy.
                      The economic impact of the event [hosting a Super Bowl] is huge, with figures that can exceed US$ 600 million between direct and indirect revenues, depending on the size of the economy of the city that receives it. There are almost 6,000 media professionals accredited. In last year's edition won by the Los Angeles Rams.​

Comment

• Heatmiser
                        BetterToday ThanYesterday
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Thanks Bolt-O. You are a great Mod.

I was kind of ticked when they put Palmer back in the Bears game. Did not need him and it looked bad. He is going to be a big loss.This team is snake bit at WR

TG
                        Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

I guess this is QJ's coming out party?
                          Either he or Davis will need to make a lot of plays because you know they're going to be doubling KA.

Comment

Working...
                          X