• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
    I'm not arguing that . . . . . . if you're outmanned you're at a significant disadvantage - no doubt, but you can't just collapse, quit and melt down . . . . . at the very least you have to force the other team to beat you - don't beat yourself.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

I'm not arguing that . . . . . . if you're outmanned you're at a significant disadvantage - no doubt, but you can't just collapse, quit and melt down . . . . . at the very least you have to force the other team to beat you - don't beat yourself.
      I assume that you're talking about the Jaguars game...
      I agree... they collapsed. I don't agree that the players quit. They got outplayed in the 2nd half.
      But I think a lot of that had to do with conservative play-calling. The defense went vanilla... that's on Staley. Vato's injury was significant.
      On offense, they were too conservative. They couldn't run the ball on first down. The injury to MW was significant, too. Gerald Everett didn't quit.
      Dicker hits that chip-shot 22-yard FG... and we advance.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
        Moderate Skeptic
        • May 2022
        • Send PM

I assume that you're talking about the Jaguars game...
        I agree... they collapsed. I don't agree that the players quit. They got outplayed in the 2nd half.
        But I think a lot of that had to do with conservative play-calling. The defense went vanilla... that's on Staley. Vato's injury was significant.
        On offense, they were too conservative. They couldn't run the ball on first down. The injury to MW was significant, too. Gerald Everett didn't quit.
        Dicker hits that chip-shot 22-yard FG... and we advance.
        Quitting doesn't just apply to the players . . . . . and I know many of the players did not quit trying, but they probably quit believing. That's what happens when the organization has a repeated reputation for shitting the bed; 'oh boy - here we go again'. The coaching staff quit as well by turtling in the 2nd half . . . . . .

We need stronger leadership (ownership, coaches and players). Leaders who are mentally tough - who will grind all the way to the end and hold everyone accountable. Not nice guys who don't want to offend or upset anyone, or players who are in it for the wrong reasons . . . .

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

Quitting doesn't just apply to the players . . . . . and I know many of the players did not quit trying, but they probably quit believing. That's what happens when the organization has a repeated reputation for shitting the bed; 'oh boy - here we go again'. The coaching staff quit as well by turtling in the 2nd half . . . . . .

We need stronger leadership (ownership, coaches and players). Leaders who are mentally tough - who will grind all the way to the end and hold everyone accountable. Not nice guys who don't want to offend or upset anyone, or players who are in it for the wrong reasons . . . .
          This all sounds like gobbly-goop to me.

The only people who say, "Oh no... here we go again" are some Chargers' fans... see the Game Day Threads. Most of the current players weren't even born yet when Fouts threw 5 interceptions vs the Oilers... or in high school when Marlon McCree didn't just take a knee. They don't remember these things; nor do they care to look back on these things. Only fans do this! Maybe it's the fans that aren't mentally tough. Maybe it's the fans that should grind all the way to the end... Players don't miss blocks, or false start, or throw their helmet... because they don't want to offend or upset anyone...

Name one player or coach you think are in it for the wrong reason... They train year-round, rehab from ruptured tendons, spend half the year away from their families, expose their bodies to debilitating violence for 17 weeks in a row... Holy crap! Leadership... LOL!​

Comment

• blueman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Send PM

If your starters are out, and the other team has better players…it’s called losing.

Comment

• jamrock
              lawyers, guns and money
              • Sep 2017
              • Send PM

The only people who say, "Oh no... here we go again" are some Chargers' fans... see the Game Day Threads. Most of the current players weren't even born yet when Fouts threw 5 interceptions vs the Oilers... or in high school when Marlon McCree didn't just take a knee. They don't remember these things; nor do they care to look back on these things. Only fans do this! Maybe it's the fans that aren't mentally tough. Maybe it's the fans that should grind all the way to the end... Players don't miss blocks, or false start, or throw their helmet... because they don't want to offend or upset anyone...

Name one player or coach you think are in it for the wrong reason... They train year-round, rehab from ruptured tendons, spend half the year away from their families, expose their bodies to debilitating violence for 17 weeks in a row... Holy crap! Leadership... LOL!​
              No “chargering” is a thing that commentators talk about, Staley talks about and the players probably think about. It’s not limited to playoff games either. It’s been happening during regular season games as well and a guy like Keenan or Bosa who’s been with the team 5-6 years has been part of it.

what’s the right reason anyway. These guys are professional football players. They get paid incredibly well. And the right reason for them is probably different than what you and I think it should be. These guys are protecting the paycheck. That’s their main focus. Is it wrong? I wouldn’t say that. But I would say that we have players for whom winning isn’t as important as it is to us fans.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                Moderate Skeptic
                • May 2022
                • Send PM

Name one player or coach you think are in it for the wrong reason... Bosa and Derwin for starters, but the leadership failures (IMO) fall mostly on Staley They train year-round so what - don't most people work year round? rehab from ruptured tendons, spend half the year away from their families no they don't - their families are with them full time - the team even provides housing and day care , expose their bodies to debilitating violence for 17 weeks in a row... because they like getting paid huge sums of money and the attention Holy crap! Leadership... LOL!​
                You make it sound like playing in the NFL is some kind of major sacrifice . . .

You think leadership's not important?

We are NOT a mentally tough team, or a disciplined team, or a well coached team - ALL of these things are the responsibility of those in leadership positions to ensure. How successful do YOU think we're going to be without good leadership?

The history of this franchise is not 'gobbly-goop', nor is it way in the distant past. The entire team just shit the bed (again) 3 months ago. The history of epic Charger failure is RATHER RECENT.

You obviously don't agree, and think the we have wonderful leaders, and that leadership itself is not important . . . . but I know better - and it's what we need the most.

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

We are NOT a mentally tough team, or a disciplined team, or a well coached team - ALL of these things are the responsibility of those in leadership positions to ensure. How successful do YOU think we're going to be without good leadership?

The history of this franchise is not 'gobbly-goop', nor is it way in the distant past. The entire team just shit the bed (again) 3 months ago. The history of epic Charger failure is RATHER RECENT.

You obviously don't agree, and think the we have wonderful leaders, and that leadership itself is not important . . . . but I know better - and it's what we need the most.
                  I agree. We lack leadership. And one of the guys who was a leader is exploring a trade. The other guy on the defense is out looking for work

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

No “chargering” is a thing that commentators talk about, Staley talks about and the players probably think about. It’s not limited to playoff games either. It’s been happening during regular season games as well and a guy like Keenan or Bosa who’s been with the team 5-6 years has been part of it.

what’s the right reason anyway. These guys are professional football players. They get paid incredibly well. And the right reason for them is probably different than what you and I think it should be. These guys are protecting the paycheck. That’s their main focus. Is it wrong? I wouldn’t say that. But I would say that we have players for whom winning isn’t as important as it is to us fans.
                    "Chargering" is a thing that commentators talk about... because they're commentators! It doesn't mean it's a real thing. It's a thing people say when they can't explain the inexplicable. And football is often inexplicable. Are you saying that winning wasn't important to Dan Fouts or Don Coryell...? Are you saying that winning wasn't important to LaDanian Tomlinson or Marty Schottenheimer...? Because those were the instances when we had the best teams in football... and still never made it to the SB.

How do explain teams passing over Tom Brady 5 or 6 times in the draft...?
                    How do you explain Austin Ekeler and Antonio Gates going undrafted...?
                    You can't! It's football! On any given Sunday... now that's a real thing!
                    Everything else is BS being spoken by commentators...

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Again, complete BS! I never said that leadership isn't important. I question your ability (or anyone's) to decifer whether Staley is a leader without actually being on the field on Sunday... or practices... or team meetings. Players consistently want to remain with the Chargers. Khalil Mack wanted to play for Staley. SJD wanted to play for Staley. Morgan Fox wanted to play for Staley (twice).

If you want to second guess the coaches/players for their collapse against the Jaguars, fine. They went conservative. Analytics will tell you that's the right approach. Let them run. Let them have the underneath stuff. Let the clock run. On offense, run the ball, throw the short completion. Let the clock run. Again, if Dicker hits the 22-yard chip shot... we win.

Personally, I don't like the conservative approach. I'd like to blow people out. I'd like to see that killer instinct. I'd venture to say that's why Lombardi was let go and Moore is in. The Chargers jumped at the opportunity when Moore was let go. Moore agreed to come coach for the Chargers when he probably could have waited for a more lucrative offer from another team. But I bet he wants to win. There's the leadership you crave. There's that desire to win that you crave.

You're welcome.

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

I agree. We lack leadership. And one of the guys who was a leader is exploring a trade. The other guy on the defense is out looking for work
                        Ekeler is a leader? Haven't seen anything out of him that would scream leader to me. Very good player, always in shape but someone who blows off voluntary camps and appears much more interested in what is in it for him. I do not blame him for that in the least but Ekeler comes across as the league is a means to an end.

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

"Chargering" is a thing that commentators talk about... because they're commentators! It doesn't mean it's a real thing. It's a thing people say when they can't explain the inexplicable. And football is often inexplicable. Are you saying that winning wasn't important to Dan Fouts or Don Coryell...? Are you saying that winning wasn't important to LaDanian Tomlinson or Marty Schottenheimer...? Because those were the instances when we had the best teams in football... and still never made it to the SB.

How do explain teams passing over Tom Brady 5 or 6 times in the draft...?
                          How do you explain Austin Ekeler and Antonio Gates going undrafted...?
                          You can't! It's football! On any given Sunday... now that's a real thing!
                          Everything else is BS being spoken by commentators...
                          Dude, Staley is saying it. He said it last season. Commentators notice it. When a team finds new and inventive ways to lose games they should win that’s chargering an no one does it better.
                          And yes you just proved my point with Fouts/Coryell and LT/Narty. Those were the best teams a couple of times. Of course they wanted to win. But they chargered!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X