• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    How do they even field a team at this number?

They have to draft well and find value free agents... they can't re-sign everybody and have to make smart decisions about who they retain.
    Rashawn Slater's option year will be 2025. Asante Samuel Jr's contract will due in 2025, also. I got to think both of those guys will be retained.

Comment

• Boltinloudguy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2021
      • Send PM

The only interview that I am excited for at this moment is Thomas Brown. Been coaching for a while. 10 years in the college ranks and now with McVay for the last 3 years. He knows they system and I think he has had a big impact on Higbee’s development.

I think they are waiting to bring in QB coach after they bring in an OC. Wanting the OC to have a say in the hiring. They might even fire the Oline coaches annd RB coach after they hire an OC. Well, I guess I’m hoping that happens.

Comment

• cmplxgal
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • New Jersey
        • Send PM

Apparently I just didn't realize how much QBs make. Mahomes signed an extension back in 2020 for $45M AAV, and he's only number 5 in AAV:

Comment

• jaguarmanftype
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Send PM

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Staley will take us to the AFCCG and possibly to a Superbowl win in 2023. Majority of the media will continue to berate and skewer him, but this time for aggressively running up scores on opponents while having dominant and sometimes shutdown defensive performances. Most of the media will openly dislike him for his confidence, bluntness and smugness, except for a few skeptics turned diehard supporters like Colin Cowherd, Chris Simms, Marcus Spears, Marcellus Wiley and Shannon Sharpe.

I have a dream....

:LOL:
          Last edited by jaguarmanftype; 01-24-2023, 11:03 PM.

Comment

• Berserker76
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jaguarmanftype View Post
            I can't believe I'm saying this, but Staley will take us to the AFCCG and possibly to a Superbowl win in 2023. Majority of the media will continue to berate and skewer him, but this time for aggressively running up scores on opponents while having dominant and sometimes shutdown defensive performances. Most of the media will openly dislike him for his confidence, bluntness and smugness, except for a few skeptics turned diehard supporters like Colin Cowherd, Chris Simms, Marcus Spears, Marcellus Wiley and Shannon Sharpe.

I have a dream....

:LOL:
            Has someone hacked your account, Jagman??? lol, just kidding. I'll gladly buy into your dream.

Comment

• chargeroo
              Fan since 1961
              • Jan 2019
              • Oregon
              • Retired Manager/Pastor
              • Send PM

I'm not sure where to put this but here's an interesting discussion from Kurt Warner, about the Bolts offense in the Jags game. He goes thru passing plays and points out many plays when the Bolts had at least one and often two WR's running deep routes but went for the guy running a short route instead. After watching this, I concluded that Herbert had chances for deeper throws but opted to take the short one. Begs the question; was our OC the problem or was it the choices our QB was making.

I feel like sometimes I should be the NFL myth buster. When I see so many of these talk shows, they create all these different narratives on what goes on out...
              THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                I'm not sure where to put this but here's an interesting discussion from Kurt Warner, about the Bolts offense in the Jags game. He goes thru passing plays and points out many plays when the Bolts had at least one and often two WR's running deep routes but went for the guy running a short route instead. After watching this, I concluded that Herbert had chances for deeper throws but opted to take the short one. Begs the question; was our OC the problem or was it the choices our QB was making.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H7OObH2uQ
                Thanks. I thought that I saw some bad choices. Could be why QB Coach Shane Day was fired along with Lombardi?

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltinloudguy View Post
                  The only interview that I am excited for at this moment is Thomas Brown. Been coaching for a while. 10 years in the college ranks and now with McVay for the last 3 years. He knows they system and I think he has had a big impact on Higbee’s development.

I think they are waiting to bring in QB coach after they bring in an OC. Wanting the OC to have a say in the hiring. They might even fire the Oline coaches annd RB coach after they hire an OC. Well, I guess I’m hoping that happens.
                  Brown is interesting. His work with RBs and TEs might help our blocking concepts

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1H7OObH2uQ
                    Could be a variety of reasons. Lack of confidence in his WRs. They may not have been where they were supposed to be, so he didn't see them. Regardless
                    Herbert definitely needs some coaching up and maturing before he reaches the next level. This is where the Chargers messed up. Should have brought in
                    an experienced offensive minded HC. Staley may end up being a great HC, but he's really a HC in training and at this time doesn't offer Herbert much.
                    Better get the OC and QB coach right this time.

Comment

• SK21209
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2020
                      • San Diego
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Could be a variety of reasons. Lack of confidence in his WRs. They may not have been where they were supposed to be, so he didn't see them. Regardless
                      Herbert definitely needs some coaching up and maturing before he reaches the next level. This is where the Chargers messed up. Should have brought in
                      an experienced offensive minded HC. Staley may end up being a great HC, but he's really a HC in training and at this time doesn't offer Herbert much.
                      Herbert is so analytical and so coachable that I can totally buy that Lombardi screwed him up in this regard. Herbert's greatest strength as a passer is arguably his ability to process his reads in lightening-quick fashion and make the right decision. If he quickly analyzes a read and assesses that its too risky to take that shot, he's going to check it off his list until he gets down to the "smart" play. The only guy he's really willing to take chances with is Mike because he's so good with the contested catches. Lombardi's patient, quick-pass oriented offense leans into Herbert's natural tendencies. The thing is, Herbert is Drew Brees in regard to processing ability but with a fucking cannon for an arm. Part of it is the receivers not getting open enough for Herbert to take the risk, but part of it is asking Herbert to be a little more risky because he has the talent to make it work. They can be calculated risks too. Be more aggressive on first down so you can let Herbert take some chances on second and medium-to-short.

Comment

• lightsout42
                        Hire a winning coach
                        • Oct 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Thanks. I thought that I saw some bad choices. Could be why QB Coach Shane Day was fired along with Lombardi?
                        That and the mechanics/low passes this season (but some probably attributable to the rib injury).

Comment

• Charge!
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

when conservative coaches want to open up the short game, they send one or 2 receivers deep as decoy....... short passes are almpost guaranteed to be complete and thereby keep the clock running, which gives the opposition fewer opportunities to score on your bad defense....

Sure Herbert can throw deep, but the coaches may have insisted on using the check downs(dump offs are easy and safer)..... it burns up clock, protects herbert from getting hit/injured, and keeps total score of game low and reachable by either team..... giving both teams a chance to win.....Coaches get fired for blowout losses, but usually not for close losses, even lots of them.....burning up the clock helps bad defenses by not exposing them as much to the other teams offense and gives them rest.....that still did not prevent Chargers defense from being worst or nearly worst in many defensive categories..... especially against the run.....

If coaches wanted him to throw deep they would have told him to do that..... coaches are in charge.....the HC is ultimately in charge so firing coordinators is hilarious..... HC makes those decisions and approves game plans.....

I would agree, that Herbert needs some really good coaching for a change instead of the crap he has received..... look how well other teams and QB's do with better coaching...... QB experts like Sims have discused how talented Herbert is yet he still has bad footwork, etc.....

Comment

Working...
                          X