• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by cmplxgal View Post
    I think the Chargers are going to have to release Mack, even though they just spent a second-round pick to acquire him and they're very thin at edge. Maybe he would be willing to re-sign for a lower salary. But the Chargers are starting out $20M over the estimated 2023 cap according to Over the Cap, and by my calculations they're going to need to create about $39M in cap space (initial $20M deficit plus $11M to re-sign some of their free agents, $3M for draft picks, and $5M free space that Telesco likes to keep [actually Popper says it's usually $7M]). I don't see how they do that without releasing either Mack (saving $22.9M​) or Allen (saving $17.5M). They'll still have to release or waive several other players (Hopkins, Feiler, maybe Everett, maybe McKitty, maybe Murray). They can't really restructure contracts, at least past 2023, because Herbert's big extension will kick in in 2024. This is where Telesco's drafting failures outside the first round really hurt.
    This is why I half-fake suggested trade Bosa and our first rounder to move up. Would that help money wise?

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

I have nothing on cap management. Keep everybody 'till we have a better player.
      I'll have opinions later re position / individuals.
      I'm curious to see Telesco /Staley choices post OC signing.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Dec 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

This is why I half-fake suggested trade Bosa and our first rounder to move up. Would that help money wise?
        If bosa is traded - he would save the team $17m of cap space. Bosa us guaranteed $24m in salary plus his signing bonus accrual is $7m - for a total of $31m cap hit

If traded - the team would pay the $24m guaranteed dollars - but the chargers dead cap hit would be $14m so a cap savings of $17m in 2023 plus whatever was expected in 2024. I think Bosa has the most value longer term as he is the youngest of the three.
        Granted, I think Mack is the best of the three based on 2022

Comment

• cmplxgal
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2017
          • New Jersey
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post
          have nothing on cap management. Keep everybody 'till we have a better player.

The thing is, the team has to be cap-compliant as of 4 pm ET on March 15. That doesn't give them much time:

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/n...ant-nfl-dates/

In fact, all this stuff has to happen on or before March 15, according to the league:

End/Start of League Year. Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must exercise options for 2023 on all players who have option clauses in their 2022 contracts.

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit Qualifying Offers to their Restricted Free Agents with expiring contracts to retain a Right of First Refusal/Compensation.

Prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time, clubs must submit a Minimum Salary Tender to retain exclusive negotiating rights to their players with expiring 2022 contracts who have fewer than three Accrued Seasons of free agency credit.

Top 51 Rule is in effect. All clubs must be under the 2023 Salary Cap prior to 4:00 p.m., New York time. All 2022 NFL player contracts will expire at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

The 2023 League Year and Free Agency period begin at 4:00 p.m., New York time.

The first day of the 2023 League Year will end at 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 15. Clubs will receive a Personnel Notice that will include all transactions submitted to the League office during the period between 4:00 p.m., New York time, and 11:59:59 p.m., New York time, on March 15.

Trading period for 2023. Trading begins at 4:00 p.m., New York time, after expiration of all 2022 contracts.

Commencing at 4:00 p.m., New York time, Clubs may designate up to two Player Contracts that, if terminated on or prior to June 1, 2023, and if not renegotiated after January 9, 2023, shall be treated as if terminated on June 2, subject to the further requirements of CBA Article 13, Section 6(b)(ii)(1).
          Something I learned from this--a team can only release two players with the post-June 1 designation that saves the team cap money.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

The thing is, the team has to be cap-compliant as of 4 pm ET on March 15. That doesn't give them much time:

https://operations.nfl.com/gameday/n...ant-nfl-dates/

In fact, all this stuff has to happen on or before March 15, according to the league:

Something I learned from this--a team can only release two players with the post-June 1 designation that saves the team cap money.
            If the Chargers are just figuring out their cap now and not 12 months ago - they truly are incompetent. I understand some decisions might change over time. For instance - Hopkins got hurt, Dicker the kicker came on and all of the sudden, Hopkins will probably be released or traded. But I would think - a team should be looking at their cap in 3 to 5 year time frames and knowing the basic moves they would need to make to get under the cap.

And for the Chargers - its all about Mack, Bosa and Allen - they have the numbers to move the cap.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

Hopkins sounds suspect to me.
              steroids. Getting older. How will his body respond to those circus catches?
              I'd rather go younger, more prime athlete, hungry, coachable.
              Guyton types.
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                Hopkins sounds suspect to me.
                steroids. Getting older. How will his body respond to those circus catches?
                I'd rather go younger, more prime athlete, hungry, coachable.
                Guyton types.
                I meant Dustin Hopkins the kicker - not DHop the WR. Chargers will save a little bit of cap space releasing Hopkins the Kicker and signing Dicker the Kicker

Agreed - Chargers need to get younger, faster, stretch the field.

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

4.5 hours to showtime w/ Popper.

Question: What is Tom Telesco's current contract situation?

Comment

• cmplxgal
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jul 2017
                    • New Jersey
                    • Send PM

How do they even field a team at this number?

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

We should guarantee it just to fuck with Lamar Jackson.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

backload it and keep pushing cap forward... creative accounting

Comment

• jamrock
                          lawyers, guns and money
                          • Sep 2017
                          • Send PM

Cap keeps going up. Unless there’s another pandemic type lockdown

Comment

Working...
                          X