• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltnut
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2019
    • Send PM

Also... I don't think Mack can be re-structured... or even extended. His contract doesn't really allow for it. Not without agreeing to a pay cut.
    Since his new contract with the Bears, Mack has averaged $21 million/year. Because of the trade and restructure, there is still $15.267 million worth of restructure that is on 2024's cap (money that still counts against our 2024 cap in any cut/trade scenario)... which was the price we paid to have him only count as $8.75 mil (2020) and $16.6 mil (2023). https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...il-mack-14414/

So if you want to extend Mack out another year (2025) you will have to split the remaining restructure (15.2) and then sign him for $20/year (base/signing bonus). At that point, he's costing $27.6/year... and you're only saving $11 million against 2024's cap (rather than $23 million if you trade). You could cut Bosa (and save $14 million against the 2024 cap) but then you wouldn't have the trade value in hand the Mack could command (3rd rounder?) coming off of a career year. Also, who knows how much Bosa could bring in trade right now. If we don't want him... neither would another team. On top of the $23 million you save against the cap (with a Mack trade) you can save another $7 million in a Bosa re-structure (you don't have to extend him). That $30 million combined cap savings with a Mack trade and Bosa re-structure.

Trust me... I hate getting rid of the uber-productive Mack and keeping the oft-injured Bosa. But the contracts and cap hell of 2024 almost demand it. Get the draft picks when you can. The roster needs a re-build badly.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post
      Also... I don't think Mack can be re-structured... or even extended. His contract doesn't really allow for it. Not without agreeing to a pay cut.
      Since his new contract with the Bears, Mack has averaged $21 million/year. Because of the trade and restructure, there is still $15.267 million worth of restructure that is on 2024's cap (money that still counts against our 2024 cap in any cut/trade scenario)... which was the price we paid to have him only count as $8.75 mil (2020) and $16.6 mil (2023). https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-ange...il-mack-14414/

So if you want to extend Mack out another year (2025) you will have to split the remaining restructure (15.2) and then sign him for $20/year (base/signing bonus). At that point, he's costing $27.6/year... and you're only saving $11 million against 2024's cap (rather than $23 million if you trade). You could cut Bosa (and save $14 million against the 2024 cap) but then you wouldn't have the trade value in hand the Mack could command (3rd rounder?) coming off of a career year. Also, who knows how much Bosa could bring in trade right now. If we don't want him... neither would another team. On top of the $23 million you save against the cap (with a Mack trade) you can save another $7 million in a Bosa re-structure (you don't have to extend him). That $30 million combined cap savings with a Mack trade and Bosa re-structure.

Trust me... I hate getting rid of the uber-productive Mack and keeping the oft-injured Bosa. But the contracts and cap hell of 2024 almost demand it. Get the draft picks when you can. The roster needs a re-build badly.
      For Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Khalilk Mack - -they have dead cap numbers of $11+, $12+ and $15m that cannot be touched. Those are locked in. Whether these three are on theroster or not, they will cost $38m of cap space. Unlike Bosa, all three are in the last year of their contracts so there is no shenangans moving numbers

What can be touched are their current bonus/base salaries of $23m, $20 and $23m respectively. But if you include the draft class and practice squad and a 53 player roster - the Chargers are basically $60m over the cap - thats the real number - not what OTC shows. But 60million!!!! Plus if you release a player, you have to sign a player

As for Mack - to get cap savings on his $23m - that means pushing money into the future.
      If you want to keep Keenan Allen - it means pushing money into the future.

The best thing for the Chargers is truly to cut ties with all four, clean up the cap and move forward. Maybe for Allen if there is a structure in place that is almost year to year like Fitzgerald, thats fine-- but otherwise, move forward. Unless you want a team of Mack, Allen, future dead cap space to build depth or a current roster of a bunch of minimum players - take your pick.
      Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 01-21-2024, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

For Keenan Allen, Mike Williams and Khalilk Mack - -they have dead cap numbers of $11+, $12+ and $15m that cannot be touched. Those are locked in. Whether these three are on theroster or not, they will cost $38m of cap space. Unlike Bosa, all three are in the last year of their contracts so there is no shenangans moving numbers

What can be touched are their current bonus/base salaries of $23m, $20 and $23m respectively. But if you include the draft class and practice squad and a 53 player roster - the Chargers are basically $60m over the cap - thats the real number - not what OTC shows. But 60million!!!! Plus if you release a player, you have to sign a player

As for Mack - to get cap savings on his $23m - that means pushing money into the future.
        If you want to keep Keenan Allen - it means pushing money into the future.

The best thing for the Chargers is truly to cut ties with all four, clean up the cap and move forward. Maybe for Allen if there is a structure in place that is almost year to year like Fitzgerald, thats fine-- but otherwise, move forward. Unless you want a team of Mack, Allen, future dead cap space to build depth or a current roster of a bunch of minimum players - take your pick.
        I've gotten the Chargers $30 million UNDER the cap by trading Mack and Mike Williams. I also extended Keenan out another 2 years (to 2026), restructured Joey's 2 remaining years, cut Linsley and Kendricks. Then I tender most of the ERFA's (Dicker, Sarrel, Layne) to get there. It brings the roster to 51. Even have money to sign a couple good FA's. RB D'Andre Swift and TE Hunter Henry cost about 6.5 million each.

Comment

• Boltnut
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Feb 2019
          • Send PM

If you trade Mack for a 3rd and Mike for a 4th... now you have 9 draftees to replace the "futures" players on the current roster (most won't make the roster and will end up on the PS. If you can trade back to #8, you add another 3rd and 4th to the draft class. Now there are 11 draftees...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

I think one thing to consider - the new HC/DC will have a new scheme. Bosa might not even fit the scheme

(plus the Chargers do need the cap space - unless he wants to take 5m - even at that - let him go to SF for 5m
            I don’t know a scheme that edge rushers don’t fit in. I’m slightly under 50/50 on Bosa - just the entire aggregate life experience I’ve shared with him leaves me unconcerned with parting ways. I would be happy to just move on from him if we could even get a 3rd or 4th, but I do think that then mandates an Edge pick on day 1 (via trade down) or more likely day 2. And that may be the right call - I trust Jim
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Dec 2019
              • Send PM

I've gotten the Chargers $30 million UNDER the cap by trading Mack and Mike Williams. I also extended Keenan out another 2 years (to 2026), restructured Joey's 2 remaining years, cut Linsley and Kendricks. Then I tender most of the ERFA's (Dicker, Sarrel, Layne) to get there. It brings the roster to 51. Even have money to sign a couple good FA's. RB D'Andre Swift and TE Hunter Henry cost about 6.5 million each.
              what is yoru structure of the Bosa contract?

right now he has two years with 22m and 25m left on his deal - as he already has 22m of dead that is not going away - you can play with the math but its not getting lower - at least that 22m

same with Keenan - what are you willing to give him - right now he has one year 23. I think I would do two years 38-40 - knowing he already has 11m of dead this year..
              Last edited by Bolt4Knob; 01-21-2024, 09:56 AM.

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

what is yoru structure of the Bosa contract?

right now he has two years with 22m and 25m left on his deal - as he already has 22m of dead that is not going away - you can play with the match but its not getting lower

same with Keenan - what are you willing to give him - right now he has one year 23. I think I would do two years 38-40 - knowing he already has 11m of dead this year
                The Bosa re-structure was computed using the OTC calculator. I think it saved $7 million on 2024's cap.
                Keenan's 2024 un-guaranteed $18 million base I split up over 3 years ($8mil on 2024... $5mil became pro-rated restructure bonus in 2025, $5mil on the 2026). The remaining $(9 mil previous restructure got spread evenly across the 3 years (2024-2026). And offered Keenan $20mil base in 2025 and another $20mil base in 2026. The cap hits work out to $25 million each year.

Comment

• northerner
                  Charger fan since '79
                  • Mar 2019
                  • Send PM

you're hired !!! ;-)

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

The Bosa re-structure was computed using the OTC calculator. I think it saved $7 million on 2024's cap.
                    Keenan's 2024 un-guaranteed $18 million base I split up over 3 years ($8mil on 2024... $5mil became pro-rated restructure bonus in 2025, $5mil on the 2026). The remaining $(9 mil previous restructure got spread evenly across the 3 years (2024-2026). And offered Keenan $20mil base in 2025 and another $20mil base in 2026. The cap hits work out to $25 million each year.
                    we agree on Allen - thats reasonable

Bosa - we will agree to disagree - I would rather keep Mack over keeping Bosa if keeping one player.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

In the end:

Traded Mack and MW.
                      Extended Keenan.
                      Restructured Joey (no extension)
                      Cut Linsley and Kendricks.

Put ERFA tender on Dicker, Sarell, Doss, and Layne.
                      Re-signed Kelley ($2mil on 2024 cap)
                      Re-signed Bassey ($1.5mil on 2024 cap)
                      Signed FA TE Hunter Henry ($6.5mil on 2024 cap)
                      Signed FA RB D'Andre Swift ($7mil on 2024 cap)

I'm $18 million under the cap.
                      53 on the roster.
                      $89 million under 2025's cap.
                      And I have 9 draft picks in my pocket (2 third rounders, 2 fourth rounders)
                      I can always trade back to #8 (Atlanta desperately needs a QB w/Ten and NYG right in front of them) and pick up another 3rd and 4th.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I don’t care where Bosa eats cereal next season as long as it’s not SoFi

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

we agree on Allen - thats reasonable

Bosa - we will agree to disagree - I would rather keep Mack over keeping Bosa if keeping one player.
                          I totally understand having no confidence in Bosa. Either way, you have to plan for a re-build @DE over the next 2 years.
                          My preference is to draft DE in the 3rd this year (using the 3rd you get from a Mack trade). Then get another quality (1st round) DE in next year's draft. For 2024, you hope Joey can stay off the IR, rotate Joey, Tuli, your 3rd round pick, Farmer, and Rumph @DE.

It seems Mack's trade value is at an all-time high... and saves you significantly more against your 2024 cap.

Comment

Working...
                          X