• Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Yeah, that was my insinuation.
    Having said that, Staley isn't the only coach trying this. There is a movement toward man/zone integration. But the only teams pulling it off are teams with at least 1 CB with man v man capabilities. The Chargers don't have that. They tried the easy-fix (expensive FA CB) but it blew up in their face (JCJ).
    Good point there, Nut...for example, if we had a good shutdown press corner, he is assigned to the opposing team's best wideout...(kind of like a "box and one" or "diamond and one" defense in basketball)...then the rest play mostly zone...I'm not opposed to some type of hybrid D, IF we have the players to play it...and IF it's not so confusing to our own players...unfortunately, it appears Staley's defense was a bit too complex, AND we didn't have enough good players to play it...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

I agree, he's over-paid for his recent production (non-production). But again, it's the contract structure. You save $14.5 million with a Bosa cut/trade. Whereas, it's a $23 million savings with a Mack trade/cut. He's got 2 years left on the contract. You can re-structure ($7 million savings against 2024) or you can cut ($22 million cap hit) or you can keep nd cut next year (only $7.6 million dead cap).

I am hesitant to go into 2024 with just Tuli @Edge. You're hedged into drafting a quality Edge (probably 1st round) and no depth @Edge.
      I prefer keeping Bosa (re-structure savings) and seeing if he can stay healthy. Then I draft an Edge in the 3rd or 4th for depth. You need a rotation @Edge in the NFL.
      I am cutting or trading Bosa no matter what I do with Mack
      He just isn't worth it. Granted, maybe if he took 10m this year - but he probably isn't. So I am moving on from him

Plus not a fan of the guy. Not the right guy to move forward with. Just take the dead cap hit now. Rip the Band-aid off

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Do u have a direct pipeline to John U. Bacon?
        Nope, but I love bacon

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2020
          • Oklahoma
          • Send PM

I like to call that one my Jim Harbaugh draft...

DL Kris Jenkins
          LB Junior Colson
          CB Mike S
          RB B. Corum
          WR Wilson

The only one I'm missing is safety Rod Moore. LOL!
          Gotta get their TE in UDFA and target Loveland next year!

Comment

• Leslie Grossman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2020
            • Oklahoma
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Isn’t Kelley a FA? A UDFA could do as much, not a stretch.
            yep, Every year I keep mocking us a UDFA Ekeler or a 7th round Pacheco.
            Gonna hit it one of these years or be very close

Deneric Prince last year/Chiefs UDFA
            2022 Snoop Conner/5th Jags, Tyler Allgeier/5th Falcons

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Leslie Grossman View Post

yep, Every year I keep mocking us a UDFA Ekeler or a 7th round Pacheco.
              Gonna hit it one of these years or be very close

Deneric Prince last year/Chiefs UDFA
              2022 Snoop Conner/5th Jags, Tyler Allgeier/5th Falcons
              Yeah, just don’t see us bringing him back. Leaves Spiller and Dotson, so okay, draft me somebody (Dovovan Edwards?).

Comment

• northerner
                Charger fan since '79
                • Mar 2019
                • Send PM

I agree, he's over-paid for his recent production (non-production). But again, it's the contract structure. You save $14.5 million with a Bosa cut/trade. Whereas, it's a $23 million savings with a Mack trade/cut. He's got 2 years left on the contract. You can re-structure ($7 million savings against 2024) or you can cut ($22 million cap hit) or you can keep nd cut next year (only $7.6 million dead cap).

I am hesitant to go into 2024 with just Tuli @Edge. You're hedged into drafting a quality Edge (probably 1st round) and no depth @Edge.
                I prefer keeping Bosa (re-structure savings) and seeing if he can stay healthy. Then I draft an Edge in the 3rd or 4th for depth. You need a rotation @Edge in the NFL.
                if we hang on to Glass Joe (bosa), that is pretty much what we are doing. i do not think he can give us half a season of healthy play (and i was a fan of his new deal, but then he broke down).

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                  Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                  • Feb 2019
                  • McLean Illinois
                  • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by northerner View Post

if we hang on to Glass Joe (bosa), that is pretty much what we are doing. i do not think he can give us half a season of healthy play (and i was a fan of his new deal, but then he broke down).
                  If Bosa wants to restructure, stay with the Bolts, out of a sense of honor, and a desire to prove himself, and win with the Bolts...and dare I say, play for Harbaugh? I'm ok with that...but still agree...they better have a third...high draft pick or Mack, (also restructured) Simply cannot rely on Bosa for a full season.
                  Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Go Chargers go
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Oct 2023
                    • Send PM

If Allen and Mack restructure and stay, I don’t see a need to trade down. I’m not sure what we get in comp picks for Bosa & MW which would be extra.

most of our first rd WR have taken time fit in, Bosa also did not do well due to possible injuries.

Add OL/DL or Edge in first two picks, and Possible a RB in the 3.

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Which is why I would draft a pass rusher in the 3rd round. Tuli, Joey, and a rookie. With the hope that Joey could give us 12-15 games.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

I am honest - I don't like the guy and I don't think he is a winner,. I am ready to move on from him - even if they release him and not trade. Should have traded him last spring -- if there were a market and kept KVN and signed Leonard Floyd. Would have got more production.

Mike Williams - same thing. Two years of injuries - time to move on.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Which is why I would draft a pass rusher in the 3rd round. Tuli, Joey, and a rookie. With the hope that Joey could give us 12-15 games.
                          I think one thing to consider - the new HC/DC will have a new scheme. Bosa might not even fit the scheme

(plus the Chargers do need the cap space - unless he wants to take 5m - even at that - let him go to SF for 5m

Comment

Working...
                          X