• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Topcat
    AKA "Pollcat"
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
    Check out TT's draft history write up? How many of these players are still on our team?
    Tom Telesco draft history

In 2013, Tom Telesco, General Manager of the Los Angeles Chargers, called his first NFL Draft. Telesco has made 51 draft choices since then. Telesco has perhaps had the most success in the fourth round.

Since 2016, Telesco has selected numerous good fourth-round players, including Joshua Kelly, Dru Tranquill, Kyzir White, Rayshawn Jenkins, and Joshua Perry. The third round was Telesco’s least successful.

Wide Receiver Keenan Allen is the lone standout among Trey Pipkins, Justin Jones, Dan Feeney, Max Tuerk, Craig Mager, and Chris Watt.
    Well, that's interesting, because TT has traded away THREE 4th rounders...

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
      Check out TT's draft history write up? How many of these players are still on our team?
      Tom Telesco draft history

In 2013, Tom Telesco, General Manager of the Los Angeles Chargers, called his first NFL Draft. Telesco has made 51 draft choices since then. Telesco has perhaps had the most success in the fourth round.

Since 2016, Telesco has selected numerous good fourth-round players, including Joshua Kelly, Dru Tranquill, Kyzir White, Rayshawn Jenkins, and Joshua Perry. The third round was Telesco’s least successful.

Wide Receiver Keenan Allen is the lone standout among Trey Pipkins, Justin Jones, Dan Feeney, Max Tuerk, Craig Mager, and Chris Watt.
      I'm more interested in TT / Staley drafts / FA. Team building has perked up with Staley in the room.

Comment

• gzubeck
        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
        • Jan 2019
        • Tucson, AZ
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'm ok with trading away a 4th rounder if we can move up 5 spots in the draft for an impact defensive player!
        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

I'm ok with trading away a 4th rounder if we can move up 5 spots in the draft for an impact defensive player!
          According to the Trade Value Chart, to move up from #21, worth 800 points, to #16 (1,000 points), that is a differential of 200 points. It would take our 3rd rounder AND our 4th rounder to do that. Sorry, with the Bolts in cap hell, we really need those 3rd and 4th rounders...way too much to give up...we're better off to stand pat at #21 and see who falls to us...

draft value chart 2023.jpg

Comment

• gzubeck
            Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
            • Jan 2019
            • Tucson, AZ
            • Send PM

According to the Trade Value Chart, to move up from #21, worth 800 points, to #16 (1,000 points), that is a differential of 200 points. It would take our 3rd rounder AND our 4th rounder to do that. Sorry, with the Bolts in cap hell, we really need those 3rd and 4th rounders...way too much to give up...we're better off to stand pat at #21 and see who falls to us...

draft value chart 2023.jpg
            https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-V...equestTeam=lac
            Sometimes you can get a deal when another team is targeting a player they can easily grab at #21 and they get a 4th rounder for free. That chart is not steadfast.
            Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

This is a highlight video for Mike Williams. It shows both Herbert and Rivers throwing to him, creating an interesting contrast between these two QBs. I love me some Rivers, but Herbert is a better athlete. He's much more fluid in his movements. I always thought Rivers was a good deep ball passer, he had pretty good success throwing the ball deep and during his career he had some pretty good deep threats at WR to throw to. But when you look at his deep ball compared to Herbert's, the difference is quite stark. Herbert's superior arm strength stands out, his balls get there quicker. For a team that hasn't had a lot of success, the Chargers have been blessed with really good QB play since the merger. Fouts, Humphries, Brees, Rivers, Herbert. I think that is one factor that has kept me interested in being a fan of the team all of these years. Since Brees' breakout season in 2004, the Chargers have enjoyed HOF caliber QBs leading the team. And with Herbert at the beginning of his career, that streak looks to continue for a long time.

About Mike Williams - he reminds me of Antonio Gates in his prime with his prowess at boxing out defenders. He absolutely dominates at the point of contested catches. Mike was drafted No. 7 overall in 2017. His rookie year was extremely disappointing and he looked like a major bust. He scored 10 TDs in his 2nd season, but the first four seasons of his career you could say his play did not live up to his draft position. But the past two seasons he's been very good. I don't know if I would call him elite, but he is a force, and he may be the best WR in the game at what he does best - dominate defenders at the point of the catch. Does anybody still think he was overdrafted?

Comment

• chargeroo
                Fan since 1961
                • Jan 2019
                • Oregon
                • Retired Manager/Pastor
                • Send PM

I still see people saying cut him to save on salary - he's not worth that much. I wasn't at all happy when they picked him, but I'm sure glad they did now. Everyone keeps saying we need a WR that's a deep threat but look at how many deep balls MW has caught. I know he's not a 4:3 guy but he sure does get deep somehow. If we could add a deep threat and have him out there with the deep threat, the defenses would be backing up.

Remember Herbert's rookie year when he had two deep threats? With the right players, Herbert could be tossing it deep all day long. Forty some points a game baby!
                THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                  Moderate Skeptic
                  • May 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                  I still see people saying cut him to save on salary - he's not worth that much. I wasn't at all happy when they picked him, but I'm sure glad they did now. Everyone keeps saying we need a WR that's a deep threat but look at how many deep balls MW has caught. I know he's not a 4:3 guy but he sure does get deep somehow. If we could add a deep threat and have him out there with the deep threat, the defenses would be backing up.

Remember Herbert's rookie year when he had two deep threats? With the right players, Herbert could be tossing it deep all day long. Forty some points a game baby!
                  And we're gonna need every one of those forty some points . . . . . .

Comment

• 21&500
                    Bolt Spit-Baller
                    • Sep 2018
                    • A Whale's Vajayjay
                    • CMB refugee
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    This is a highlight video for Mike Williams. It shows both Herbert and Rivers throwing to him, creating an interesting contrast between these two QBs. I love me some Rivers, but Herbert is a better athlete. He's much more fluid in his movements. I always thought Rivers was a good deep ball passer, he had pretty good success throwing the ball deep and during his career he had some pretty good deep threats at WR to throw to. But when you look at his deep ball compared to Herbert's, the difference is quite stark. Herbert's superior arm strength stands out, his balls get there quicker. For a team that hasn't had a lot of success, the Chargers have been blessed with really good QB play since the merger. Fouts, Humphries, Brees, Rivers, Herbert. I think that is one factor that has kept me interested in being a fan of the team all of these years. Since Brees' breakout season in 2004, the Chargers have enjoyed HOF caliber QBs leading the team. And with Herbert at the beginning of his career, that streak looks to continue for a long time.

About Mike Williams - he reminds me of Antonio Gates in his prime with his prowess at boxing out defenders. He absolutely dominates at the point of contested catches. Mike was drafted No. 7 overall in 2017. His rookie year was extremely disappointing and he looked like a major bust. He scored 10 TDs in his 2nd season, but the first four seasons of his career you could say his play did not live up to his draft position. But the past two seasons he's been very good. I don't know if I would call him elite, but he is a force, and he may be the best WR in the game at what he does best - dominate defenders at the point of the catch. Does anybody still think he was overdrafted?

I'm not a quintin johnston fan, but it's intriguing to imagine both Williams and Johnston on the field together
                    oh and btw, Allen etc.
                    P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                    P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                    P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                    P4. Obnoxious Communication - Matlock

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

Joshua Perry was also out of the league in three years - cut by the Bolts after year 2 I believe.

As to your point about trading up - I totally agree. And it really isn't just about 2023. Its about 2024-2026. Trading out of the first round - or trading back even to lower in R1 and getting that extra 3rd or 4th would benefit the team this year and the team/cap in future years

Granted, if Bijan is there at 21 (and only Bijan)....

Comment

• Velo
                        Ride!
                        • Aug 2019
                        • Everywhere
                        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post

I'm not a quintin johnston fan, but it's intriguing to imagine both Williams and Johnston on the field together
                        oh and btw, Allen etc.
                        He'll probably be a top 10 pick, but yeah it'd be pretty damn sweet.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Lefty2SLO View Post

Marauding? Marauding? Is that what we're doing?

Nice to see you switch sides (temporarily of course) , and just for THIS issue, but I'll take it. Join the Marauders and see the world!!!
                          Oh, sorry... I thought you had switched to MY side on this one.

Comment

Working...
                          X