• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charger1_sj
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Nov 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

This is of course a logical position yet how do you explain that 2 of the 3 most productive years LT had came in 2002 and 2003 before the OL was “fixed”
    Well perhaps you don't remember. We hired a real HC, his name was Marty. The first thing he did was start a rebuild of the O line.
    Replaced the C and OG, and started different OTs and blocking scheme. Devoted his offense on run blocking and the run game.
    And since we lacked offensive talent we used the only real weapon we had...LT. I think that pretty much explains it.

By contrast in 2001 our HC coach was a guy named Riley.

Comment

• Boltnut
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

What did Marty call it? Power 40 or some such. RG Goff pulling, LG Dielman blocking down was really powerful. Teams knew what was coming and couldn't stop it. Lo Neal may have helped.
      I saw that once last year with Zion pulling. looked good.
      I expect to see OL team growth under OC Moore. Dallas was more impressive and I don't think it was all about OL talent, rather better OC.

ps: a big TE could put us over the top. FB / #6 OL / receiver. Mayer / Washington.
      Kellen Moore did it last year with a former late 4th round TE (Shultz) and a rookie 4th round TE...
      Gerald Everett is a former 2nd round pick. Get another 4th/5th round TE this year. TE is a deep class.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
        Day Tripper
        • May 2019
        • North of the Lagoon
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

That... and all of a sudden he had more than 1.5 seconds to throw it.
        the team got better overall true but it was really more Drew got better at Drew. His early years, just look at his QB Rating in first half, then Q3, then Q4 and you see an undeniable pattern - he puckered up as the game came down to the wire. Same OL, WRs, RBs, etc in both halves, it wasn't a change in the team around him. He just choked - with game on the line he'd forget all basics of ball security and just chuck that sucker up for grabs. thats why they decided to draft PR.

Then he got lucky that PR held out and he had all the reps and work, gave him time to learn to harness that energy late in games, and channel it in a positive way. Then in NO he completely mastered his craft and Canton now calls. Some players take time to develop, QB in the NFL aint an easy position.
        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Well perhaps you don't remember. We hired a real HC, his name was Marty. The first thing he did was start a rebuild of the O line.
          Replaced the C and OG, and started different OTs and blocking scheme. Devoted his offense on run blocking and the run game.
          And since we lacked offensive talent we used the only real weapon we had...LT. I think that pretty much explains it.

By contrast in 2001 our HC coach was a guy named Riley.
          Well we don’t have a real HC but we do have a rebuilt OL. I don’t know if you remember but the OL in 2002/3 wasn’t loaded and I think he turned it completely over during his tenure. But it certainly speaks to the value of coaching

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Well we don’t have a real HC but we do have a rebuilt OL. I don’t know if you remember but the OL in 2002/3 wasn’t loaded and I think he turned it completely over during his tenure. But it certainly speaks to the value of coaching
            Agreed it certainly was not loaded in 2002,03. In fact by 2004/05 it was a complete overall. But in his first year he did replace a center and an OG.
            He also started multiple guys at the OT positions. But the main difference was a dedication to the run game with emphasis on blocking. So yes,
            coaching makes one hell of a difference. Just look at the difference it made in Jacksonville with Peterson. Lawrence went to from bust to elite status.
            KC was more or less garbage for many years before Reid entered the picture.

Comment

• Boltnut
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Feb 2019
              • Send PM

I posted it. Of course LT was always LT. But look at the y/A. Nobody feared us until LT started breaking long runs. And when he did that, they centered on stopping
              him, and we had him even passing the ball to wide open receivers. LT's talent didn't get better overnight, it was always there. But the difference was the O line.
              That's the point.

Whatever Bijan is or isn't he's not going to be our savior for the run game unless the O line blocking improves. There's nothing magical about rushing for 1000 yards.
              Lots of guys do it in the NFL with half the talent that Bijan has. But it's not the total yards that count. It's the O line blocking that gets the RB to the second level, which
              results in longer runs. I also reject the idea of a RB that has to carry the load with 300 attempts per year. That's the recipe for burnout. I prefer a 2 back system where
              the load is shared. And that's exactly the direction the NFL is going. The day of bell cow RB is over. The position has been downgraded. Doesn't mean a top
              notch guy like Bijan isn't a weapon. If available, get him.
              I was going to write something brilliant... then I saw this. It says everything I wanted to say...

Comment

• Boltnut
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Feb 2019
                • Send PM

Agreed it certainly was not loaded in 2002,03. In fact by 2004/05 it was a complete overall. But in his first year he did replace a center and an OG.
                He also started multiple guys at the OT positions. But the main difference was a dedication to the run game with emphasis on blocking. So yes,
                coaching makes one hell of a difference. Just look at the difference it made in Jacksonville with Peterson. Lawrence went to from bust to elite status.
                KC was more or less garbage for many years before Reid entered the picture.
                Yep, the OL took a huge step when we drafted Hardwick and signed Goff. Goff's backside blocking was a thing of beauty. It enabled LT his patented cutback. Foot in the ground, one-cut, burst... and GONE!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

I was going to write something brilliant... then I saw this. It says everything I wanted to say...
                  His last two sentences summed it up nicely, not sure about the long misdirected intro to his money shot:

doesn't mean a top notch guy like Bijan isn't a weapon. If available, get him.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

In 1933, Art Rooney's Pittsburgh Steelers began operation. And they stank for many a year. Until Chuck Noll arrived and the Steelers had the 1969 draft, which landed them Joe Greene and LC Greenwood. Steelers had the Immaculate Reception in 1972 - The Immaculate Reception was actually the first touchdown the Steelers ever scored in the postseason​ as they were shutout against the Eagles in 1948 - and they beat the vaunted Raiders in the playoffs and their fortunes were forever changed after 39 years of ownership by the Rooney Family.

I just want to point out that this is the Spanos family's 39th year of ownership.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                      In 1933, Art Rooney's Pittsburgh Steelers began operation. And they stank for many a year. Until Chuck Noll arrived and the Steelers had the 1969 draft, which landed them Joe Greene and LC Greenwood. Steelers had the Immaculate Reception in 1972 - The Immaculate Reception was actually the first touchdown the Steelers ever scored in the postseason​ as they were shutout against the Eagles in 1948 - and they beat the vaunted Raiders in the playoffs and their fortunes were forever changed after 39 years of ownership by the Rooney Family.

I just want to point out that this is the Spanos family's 39th year of ownership.
                      holy shit! I KNEW THIS IS THE YEAR!!! WOOOOOOHOOOOOOO!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Kellen Moore did it last year with a former late 4th round TE (Shultz) and a rookie 4th round TE...
                        Gerald Everett is a former 2nd round pick. Get another 4th/5th round TE this year. TE is a deep class.
                        Gotta be the right guy. Rd drafted is immaterial. Who ever looks good to Moore. TE could be our most important acquisition.

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post

I like this history lesson!

Comment

Working...
                          X