• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not a single one of us is denying that LT was great. He was! IMO, Bijan can't hold a candle to LT. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
    But no one can deny, those early OL's sucked... and held him back. The same way those awful OL's almost got Drew Brees killed. WE ALL SAW IT!

That OL in 2006 was a thing of beauty. Teams knew we were going to run it... and it didn't fucking matter! Because there was nothing they could do about it.
    Our current OL is not that 2006 OL... not yet. But it's getting there. It's probably why Ekeler has been so productive the last 2 years.
    What did Marty call it? Power 40 or some such. RG Goff pulling, LG Dielman blocking down was really powerful. Teams knew what was coming and couldn't stop it. Lo Neal may have helped.
    I saw that once last year with Zion pulling. looked good.
    I expect to see OL team growth under OC Moore. Dallas was more impressive and I don't think it was all about OL talent, rather better OC.

ps: a big TE could put us over the top. FB / #6 OL / receiver. Mayer / Washington.

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

What did Marty call it? Power 40 or some such. RG Goff pulling, LG Dielman blocking down was really powerful. Teams knew what was coming and couldn't stop it. Lo Neal may have helped.
      I saw that once last year with Zion pulling. looked good.
      I expect to see OL team growth under OC Moore. Dallas was more impressive and I don't think it was all about OL talent, rather better OC.

ps: a big TE could put us over the top. FB / #6 OL / receiver. Mayer / Washington.
      Our YE was Gates. Not a great blocker. But Neal was an extra blocker and we don't have a blocking FB.
      Horvath has a rarely used title and he isn't a good blocker either.
      I don't recall a FB used in Moore's system.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Our YE was Gates. Not a great blocker. But Neal was an extra blocker and we don't have a blocking FB.
        Horvath has a rarely used title and he isn't a good blocker either.
        I don't recall a FB used in Moore's system.
        TE in blocking FB position in the Dal videos.

Comment

• charger1_sj
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Nov 2022
          • Send PM

TE in blocking FB position in the Dal videos.
          Completely different blocking scheme. NFL has gone away from the power running scheme that uses a FB. Substituted by zone
          blocking schemes. It's a QB driven passing league. The FB has been replaced by slot receivers and in some cases 2 TEs.
          Norv Turner tried the H back approach, failed.

FYI, a blocking TE is a completely different animal than a blocking FB. Lo Neal was a beast for LT. That went south in a hurry
          when we changed the concepts.

Comment

• AK47
            Registered Charger Fan
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

NFL has gone away from the power running scheme that uses a FB. Substituted by zone
            blocking schemes. It's a QB driven passing league. The FB has been replaced by slot receivers and in some cases 2 TEs.
            Ironic that in a QB driven NFL we still cannot stop the run because Slot Receivers are keeping our linebackers at bay LOL

Comment

• charger1_sj
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Nov 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by AK47 View Post

Ironic that in a QB driven NFL we still cannot stop the run because Slot Receivers are keeping our linebackers at bay LOL
              We can't stop the run or pass when needed because Staley is such a defensive guru.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Not a single one of us is denying that LT was great. He was! IMO, Bijan can't hold a candle to LT. They shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.
                But no one can deny, those early OL's sucked... and held him back. The same way those awful OL's almost got Drew Brees killed. WE ALL SAW IT!

That OL in 2006 was a thing of beauty. Teams knew we were going to run it... and it didn't fucking matter! Because there was nothing they could do about it.
                Our current OL is not that 2006 OL... not yet. But it's getting there. It's probably why Ekeler has been so productive the last 2 years.
                Well, someone posted that LT wasn’t LT until they improved the OL, I reject that assertion. Sure, LT got even more production with a better OL, but LT was LT from day 1 and we all saw it.

As to Bijan - again, you/I/everyone don’t know that. I think he is, you want to wait until his career is over to decide if he’s an “LT” - alas, we do not have such luxury. We need to pick players first. I see it in Bijan, if you do’t then ok. You don’t make any factual assertions why, you just say he isn’t because he hasn’t yet.

Ekeler got 900 yards rushing, in 17 games as the #1 RB. Thats good and I like him but it’s not elite power back numbers, top RBs gain almost double that. When power runs were really needed, and expected by the defense, he was not good at it. When it was short yardage and a stacked box against him, he often couldn’t get tough yards. He’s not a power back, it’s not his fault. It’s just who he is. The great power backs will usually get a few yards for their OL even if the blocking wasnt perfect.

Bijan is a power back but he has the speed and skills to go outside faster than Ekeler. He can break away at any touch and he is an excellent receiver. He’s got it all - like LT did. We do not have this complete skill set on our roster and imo its one of the biggest gaps between best vs the rest of our various position groups. Thats all.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

For whatever team picks him, Bijan = extra Ws.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Nov 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Well, someone posted that LT wasn’t LT until they improved the OL, I reject that assertion. Sure, LT got even more production with a better OL, but LT was LT from day 1 and we all saw it.

As to Bijan - again, you/I/everyone don’t know that. I think he is, you want to wait until his career is over to decide if he’s an “LT” - alas, we do not have such luxury. We need to pick players first. I see it in Bijan, if you do’t then ok. You don’t make any factual assertions why, you just say he isn’t because he hasn’t yet.

Ekeler got 900 yards rushing, in 17 games as the #1 RB. Thats good and I like him but it’s not elite power back numbers, top RBs gain almost double that. When power runs were really needed, and expected by the defense, he was not good at it. When it was short yardage and a stacked box against him, he often couldn’t get tough yards. He’s not a power back, it’s not his fault. It’s just who he is. The great power backs will usually get a few yards for their OL even if the blocking wasnt perfect.

Bijan is a power back but he has the speed and skills to go outside faster than Ekeler. He can break away at any touch and he is an excellent receiver. He’s got it all - like LT did. We do not have this complete skill set on our roster and imo its one of the biggest gaps between best vs the rest of our various position groups. Thats all.
                    I posted it. Of course LT was always LT. But look at the y/A. Nobody feared us until LT started breaking long runs. And when he did that, they centered on stopping
                    him, and we had him even passing the ball to wide open receivers. LT's talent didn't get better overnight, it was always there. But the difference was the O line.
                    That's the point.

Whatever Bijan is or isn't he's not going to be our savior for the run game unless the O line blocking improves. There's nothing magical about rushing for 1000 yards.
                    Lots of guys do it in the NFL with half the talent that Bijan has. But it's not the total yards that count. It's the O line blocking that gets the RB to the second level, which
                    results in longer runs. I also reject the idea of a RB that has to carry the load with 300 attempts per year. That's the recipe for burnout. I prefer a 2 back system where
                    the load is shared. And that's exactly the direction the NFL is going. The day of bell cow RB is over. The position has been downgraded. Doesn't mean a top
                    notch guy like Bijan isn't a weapon. If available, get him.

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Completely different blocking scheme. NFL has gone away from the power running scheme that uses a FB. Substituted by zone

FYI, a blocking TE is a completely different animal than a blocking FB. Lo Neal was a beast for LT. That went south in a hurry
                      when we changed the concepts.
                      A TE stands where a FB / RB would stand in QB protection in some Dal vids. What he does as the play develops may be pass pro vs inside rush, outside rush, chip block & be a rec, inside or out, lead block for RB, seal block for RB, etc, etc. Moore isn't locked into TE stands here, this is what he does...
                      He has them all over doing different jobs from each position. That's what I like most about KM. Initial formation and motion does not telegraph the play.
                      This is not everyone's traditional TE utilization, I agree.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

I posted it. Of course LT was always LT. But look at the y/A. Nobody feared us until LT started breaking long runs. And when he did that, they centered on stopping
                        him, and we had him even passing the ball to wide open receivers. LT's talent didn't get better overnight, it was always there. But the difference was the O line.
                        That's the point.

Whatever Bijan is or isn't he's not going to be our savior for the run game unless the O line blocking improves. There's nothing magical about rushing for 1000 yards.
                        Lots of guys do it in the NFL with half the talent that Bijan has. But it's not the total yards that count. It's the O line blocking that gets the RB to the second level, which
                        results in longer runs. I also reject the idea of a RB that has to carry the load with 300 attempts per year. That's the recipe for burnout. I prefer a 2 back system where
                        the load is shared. And that's exactly the direction the NFL is going. The day of bell cow RB is over. The position has been downgraded. Doesn't mean a top
                        notch guy like Bijan isn't a weapon. If available, get him.
                        This is of course a logical position yet how do you explain that 2 of the 3 most productive years LT had came in 2002 and 2003 before the OL was “fixed”

Comment

• Boltgang74
                          We Are The Storm!
                          • Aug 2018
                          • Send PM

A TE stands where a FB / RB would stand in QB protection in some Dal vids. What he does as the play develops may be pass pro vs inside rush, outside rush, chip block & be a rec, inside or out, lead block for RB, seal block for RB, etc, etc. Moore isn't locked into TE stands here, this is what he does...
                          He has them all over doing different jobs from each position. That's what I like most about KM. Initial formation and motion does not telegraph the play.
                          This is not everyone's traditional TE utilization, I agree.
                          So you think we would lean more towards a Mayer or Washington than Kincaid because of this scheme?

Comment

Working...
                          X