• Show
Clear All
  • Velo
    Ride!
    • Aug 2019
    • Everywhere
    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
    • Send PM

More from Tom Krasovic...writing about the Rams, ostensibly, but really it's more piling on the Spanoses.

Two years after winning the Super Bowl, the Rams have made surprising inroads in their daunting rebuild. Sunday, they nearly upset the AFC-leading Ravens in Baltimore.

“I just don’t know that a guy like Sean McVay would fit with what their vision is for the coach,” Randy Mueller, a former Dolphins and Saints general manager who was the Chargers’ senior executive for football operations from 2008-18, said on The Athletic Football Podcast last year. “They’re more of an ‘assistant, kind of box-him-in, stay-in-your-lane type,’ instead of just letting him run with it.”

Get that?

McVay would’ve been too pushy for Dean Spanos and his son John Spanos to dare hire.

He wouldn’t fit their straight-jacketed vision. The Spanoses hire only coaches they can control.

Comment

• jubei
      Vagabond Ninja
      • Feb 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
      Does anybody know the Spanos Chargers better than Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union Tribune? Has anybody been covering them longer?

They brag about John’s draft legacy in his media-guide bio.[/I]
      brag about WHAT exactly?!

Comment

• jubei
        Vagabond Ninja
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

the more I read about this org the more I wanna just leave my fandom behind. small-time owner in a big town playin like theyre big leagues.

Comment

• Formula 21
          The Future is Now
          • Jun 2013
          • Republic of San Diego
          • Send PM

Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
          The Wasted Decade is done.
          Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

C’est la vie.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

All his scouting prowess.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                FUdean
                • Dec 2022
                • Send PM

Good on Gates for giving a shout out to San Diego (my motherland). But I’m amazed and shocked that are are fans from San Diego who followed the FUdean shitshow to La

Antonio Gates caught 116 touchdown passes over his 16 year career, every single one of them wearing a Chargers helmet. During halftime of Sunday’s game against the Broncos at SoFi Stadium, Gates was inducted to the Chargers Hall of Fame. During his speech, he reminded everyone in America’s Finest City why we loved him so much. “To the City of…

Comment

• jamrock
                  lawyers, guns and money
                  • Sep 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Wrbanwal View Post
                  Good on Gates for giving a shout out to San Diego (my motherland). But I’m amazed and shocked that are are fans from San Diego who followed the FUdean shitshow to La
                  When he thanked San Diego he got a huge cheer which makes me think there are even less Charger fans from Los Angeles than I previously thought (and I already thought it was a small number).

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                    Does anybody know the Spanos Chargers better than Tom Krasovic of the San Diego Union Tribune? Has anybody been covering them longer?

Thousands of locals still support the team in the suckers' belief that a franchise run by Dean Spanos and John Spanos will win the Super Bowl. They can't even win the 4-team AFC West.

John Spanos fell for the smooth-talking Staley, who had become a media darling in his one year as a Rams defensive coordinator.

The tandem: son John, who had scouted for the Chargers; and the collegial and collaborative Tom Telesco, the replacement to the cranky, NFL-hardened egomaniac A.J. Smith.

Believing in the 2023 Chargers meant ignoring former team captain/All-Pro safety Eric Weddle’s blunt assessment of the Tom-John tandem.

The franchise, said Weddle years before he came out of retirement to help the Rams get to and win a Super Bowl, would never win anything big under Spanos and Telesco.

Weddle’s former veteran teammates Danny Woodhead and Matt Slauson co-signed on similar skepticism from Weddle during the trio’s podcast.

But it is Sean Payton’s first Broncos team, not Staley’s third Chargers team, that has responded to Kansas City’s decline. Pulling to one game behind the Chiefs in the AFC West standings, Payton’s club took a 24-7 victory Sunday on the fake grass in the sunken, sterile Kroenke Dome.

But the Spanoses don’t hire coaches such as Payton. He commands too much clout, too much money. Worse yet, giving up draft picks to get him was part of the price. The Spanoses don’t trade draft picks during season or for coaches. They brag about John’s draft legacy in his media-guide bio.
                    100% truth.

Bragging about JohnBoys draft legacy in his bio?
                    What legacy is that? This team is weak, who else has he "scouted" besides Stick? No wonder our drafts aren't very good.
                    Did JB also hire both Telesco AND Staley?

Now that's some legacy. It leads to FIRE ME on most teams.
                    Team going no where under The Spanos fools.

Comment

• NOrvMeNow
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Sep 2023
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by jubei View Post

Little John was responsible for the glory drafts under Butler/Smith/Schottenheimer.

Its in the bio.

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by NOrvMeNow View Post

Little John was responsible for the glory drafts under Butler/Smith/Schottenheimer.

Its in the bio.
                        As soon as they fire Staley, let's see if they scrub this part from JohnBoy's bio:

"Named Executive Vice President of Football Operations in 2013, one of his first priorities in that role was the hiring of General Manager Tom Telesco. The two have guided the Chargers to three playoff appearances and a pair of postseason victories. In 2018, Spanos helped assemble a squad that tied for the AFC's best record at 12-4 and reached the divisional round of the playoffs following a wild card victory at Baltimore. In 2021, Spanos and Telesco hired Brandon Staley to be the team's head coach. Staley has led the Bolts to a 19-15 record and a playoff berth over two seasons bringing an innovative and progressive strategy to the organization. Spanos and Telesco constructed a roster in 2022 that featured eight former Pro Bowlers acquired by draft, trade and free agency, showcasing the duo's commitment to building a talented roster through all manners."

https://www.chargers.com/team/front-...er/john-spanos

Comment

• Boltjolt
                          Dont let the PBs fool ya
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Henderson, NV
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

As soon as they fire Staley, let's see if they scrub this part from JohnBoy's bio:

"Named Executive Vice President of Football Operations in 2013, one of his first priorities in that role was the hiring of General Manager Tom Telesco. The two have guided the Chargers to three playoff appearances and a pair of postseason victories. In 2018, Spanos helped assemble a squad that tied for the AFC's best record at 12-4 and reached the divisional round of the playoffs following a wild card victory at Baltimore. In 2021, Spanos and Telesco hired Brandon Staley to be the team's head coach. Staley has led the Bolts to a 19-15 record and a playoff berth over two seasons bringing an innovative and progressive strategy to the organization. Spanos and Telesco constructed a roster in 2022 that featured eight former Pro Bowlers acquired by draft, trade and free agency, showcasing the duo's commitment to building a talented roster through all manners."

https://www.chargers.com/team/front-...er/john-spanos
                          That shits laughable.

Comment

Working...
                          X