Clear All
  • 21&500
    Bolt Spit-Baller
    • Sep 2018
    • A Whale's Vajayjay
    • CMB refugee
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Thats all I’ve thought about since the announcement. This could prioritize that elite feature back option in the draft too.
    All in on B. ROBINSON at 21.
    frankly, he looks like a top 10 prospect to me but I'll never entertain trading up in the first for a nonQB.
    Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• charger1_sj
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Nov 2022
      • Send PM

I don’t disagree with what you wrote but you kinda completely glossed over my point. coaching effectiveness can be greatly affected by the complexity he’s been told to get players. Maybe the reason our OL coach(es) couldnt teach it is because it’s just not teachable / learnable. Maybe it IS the design that prevents them from consistently executing it. If too many pieces are simultaneously told to all slide, slant, zone read, pull, shift etc at once and then engage based on some modeled array of defenders but the defenders are rapidly dynamic and not where the slanting pulling shifting etc blockers go, then it maybe its too easy for defenders that also have tape and study to know where this shifting rolling mess of an OL blocking scheme is going and then overload a weak point to counterattack this scheme and blow it all up. I just see too many plays where 2 or 3 OL are literally hands on hip adjacent to the implosion.

I know lots of teams run a zone based scheme, i don’t know the subtleties of Lombo’s design to say he’s veered off from tried and true and created a shitstorm or its a sound reliable approach and we uniquely have guys not smart enough to execute. Given the intelligence of many of our OL players - we know Slater, Linsley, Zion are literally very smart, and nothing indicates Feiler or Pipkins are not smart enough to absorb blocking assignments, , i am betting it’s not that our players are not smart enough. It’s that the too-clever schemes are easily diagnosed and defeated by DCs. Thats also why I am not able to say the OL Coach did a bad job teaching them. I suspect its design itself but I am no smarter than the prior times i posted it and I welcome real X & O analyses by smart guys here.

Otherwise it’s just you and me blabbering “its design”, “its coaching”, “its players” back and forth and getting nowhere. I don’t fucking know.
      All 32 NFL teams run some form of zone blocking scheme. But not all run it 100% of the time, including the master, Shanahan. But if guys are standing around as you
      mentioned. then obviously something is amiss. We may have put too much emphasis on protecting Herbert and not enough on ways to improve our run game.
      I also am not an expert on O line issues. But we now have a different OC. Much of the O line is going to be the same. I bet our run game improves and I'm not
      sure we'll bring in another or different RB.

Comment

• blueman
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Thats all I’ve thought about since the announcement. This could prioritize that elite feature back option in the draft too.
        Sure hope so.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

And your elite back gets injured in training camp and your back at square one.

Look, the Chargers have tried and failed wasting first round picks on RB’s twice since LT.

Meanwhile their OL’s sucked and still can’t open lanes for our RB’s.

Chargers should continue to focus on building an OL that can dominate the LOS and open running lanes for ALL the RB’s.

Same for DL. Dominate the LOS. I’m so tired of watching virtually every opponent toss our OL and DL’s around for over a decade.

Come on Telesco. Wise up!
          ??? Why, oh why did we ever waste a top pick on Herbert if he can get injured and put us back at square one? Madness.

Also you seem to be aware that not all RBs are created equal, per your LT comment. How does Bijan look to you compared with other RBs we’ve drafted post-LT?

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

??? Why, oh why did we ever waste a top pick on Herbert if he can get injured and put us back at square one? Madness.

Also you seem to be aware that not all RBs are created equal, per your LT comment. How does Bijan look to you compared with other RBs we’ve drafted post-LT?
            Our OL was built for LT and he had LoNeal as a lead blocker. We had other running backs with good stats back then.

Id like to see what kind of run blocking improvement the OL can produce with Slater back, Salyer replacing Feiler, and Johnson going into his sophomore season.

What about Spiller? He was certainly able to run in college. He suddenly forget how to?

Bullshit on a first round RB. If that is the only reason Chargers don’t have a good run game then should we just package Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller for picks because you obviously think it’s their fault.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Our OL was built for LT and he had LoNeal as a lead blocker. We had other running backs with good stats back then.

Id like to see what kind of run blocking improvement the OL can produce with Slater back, Salyer replacing Feiler, and Johnson going into his sophomore season.

What about Spiller? He was certainly able to run in college. He suddenly forget how to?

Bullshit on a first round RB. If that is the only reason Chargers don’t have a good run game then should we just package Ekeler, Kelley, and Spiller for picks because you obviously think it’s their fault.
              Kelley is no Michael Turner. I’m looking forward to a healthy Oline with a couple personnel adjustments too. Not sure what we have in Spiller (and Horvath) as I’ve hardly seen them play. However neither were anywhere close to the college RB Bijan was. Just saying’, teams win with top talent for a reason. Fix everything!

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

And your elite back gets injured in training camp and your back at square one.

Look, the Chargers have tried and failed wasting first round picks on RB’s twice since LT.

Meanwhile their OL’s sucked and still can’t open lanes for our RB’s.

Chargers should continue to focus on building an OL that can dominate the LOS and open running lanes for ALL the RB’s.

Same for DL. Dominate the LOS. I’m so tired of watching virtually every opponent toss our OL and DL’s around for over a decade.

Come on Telesco. Wise up!
                Any elite Rd1 player can get hurt in TC, or week 1, or week 3, or week 11. We lost elite players at many positions in 2022, ironically NOT at RB. Why would you single out RB as the position you worry about injury? We lost starting LT, Edge, CB, DT, DT, WR, WR, … on and on. Yet no notable important loss at RB because other than Eke we have no notable RB that we’d much notice was gone.

Specifically our elite Rd1 LT was lost to injury in middle of Game3, gone for the rest of the season. how does your injury-fear based logic lead you to pick an OL player in R1? Bizarre disconnect from our lived reality right here, did you miss 2022?

I’m not against improving the OL, i think they need to sign Pip so they can strengthen depth at C, G and maybe T. But we have 4 or 5 good OL players we have ZERO good power backs.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

I think that as soon as Kellen Moore walks into the building, he is immediately the best judge of RB talent in the building because Tom Telesco, John Spanos, Brandon Staley and Joe Lombardi are the saddest judges of running back talent in this franchise's storied history. I agree with the above poster that the Chargers are going to go shopping for a power-back to complement Ekeler.

Joshua Kelley showed us all flashes but it isn't enough.

Samaje Perine out-snapped Joe Mixon 43-23 in the AFC Championship Game. Perine would be an interesting prospect as a free agent.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Fn05xbMaIAMKKBo.jpg

Comment

• rensoul
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2023
                      • Send PM

They missed a golden chance to feature Spiller and get him some carries against the LA Rams when a playoff spot was already clinched and an even better chance against Denver in week 18. That was coaching incompetence to not get him and JT Woods some meaningful snaps when the playoffs were clinched.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                        Moderate Skeptic
                        • May 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by rensoul View Post

They missed a golden chance to feature Spiller and get him some carries against the LA Rams when a playoff spot was already clinched and an even better chance against Denver in week 18. That was coaching incompetence to not get him and JT Woods some meaningful snaps when the playoffs were clinched.
                        AND get MW out of the game . . . . sorry - couldn't resist

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
                          I think that as soon as Kellen Moore walks into the building, he is immediately the best judge of RB talent in the building because Tom Telesco, John Spanos, Brandon Staley and Joe Lombardi are the saddest judges of running back talent in this franchise's storied history. I agree with the above poster that the Chargers are going to go shopping for a power-back to complement Ekeler.

Joshua Kelley showed us all flashes but it isn't enough.

Samaje Perine out-snapped Joe Mixon 43-23 in the AFC Championship Game. Perine would be an interesting prospect as a free agent.
                          Everybody on our RB staff was routinely hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. Until the OC evaluates the players we do have on our team before throwing a first rounder at an RB. Last year was the year to throw a second rounder at Breece Hall.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X