• Show
Clear All
  • chargeroo
    Fan since 1961
    • Jan 2019
    • Oregon
    • Retired Manager/Pastor
    • Send PM

Just for truth - people keep saying Spanos is too cheap to hire an experienced coach but they hired Marty after he had taken both the Browns and the Chiefs to the AFC championship game. He must have cost a bit more than a rookie HC would have cost.

This is a small-scale thing but I want to also mention that back when I agreed to help them start the CMB they were always both kind and generous to me.

I still believe Marty would have led this team to the Super Bowl if they had kept him around and canned AJ.
    THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
      Just for truth - people keep saying Spanos is too cheap to hire an experienced coach but they hired Marty after he had taken both the Browns and the Chiefs to the AFC championship game. He must have cost a bit more than a rookie HC would have cost.

This is a small-scale thing but I want to also mention that back when I agreed to help them start the CMB they were always both kind and generous to me.

I still believe Marty would have led this team to the Super Bowl if they had kept him around and canned AJ.
      I liked Marty, the players liked Marty,LT loved Marty, he was 14-2 and AJ canned him for Norv
      I agree.He was a top vet coach. the playoff curse couldn't last forever - without AJ's help.

Comment

• charger1_sj
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Nov 2022
        • Send PM

Unfortunately the salary for proven HC has exploded since then. The Spanos were also in much better cash position then they currently are.
        They should have never hired Norv. Great OC, lousy HC. The Raider fans up here in the Bay Area were laughing when we fired Marty and got Norv.
        We've been going around in circles ever since.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Not really

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2002/0...fourth%20year.

Schottenheimer reportedly will be paid about $4.5 million over the first three years of the deal by the Chargers, with the Redskins paying about $3 million to make up the difference of the $7.5 million he was owed when he was fired. The Chargers will pay him $2.5 million in the fourth year.Jan 27, 2002

Comment

• charger1_sj
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not really

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/2002/0...fourth%20year.

Schottenheimer reportedly will be paid about $4.5 million over the first three years of the deal by the Chargers, with the Redskins paying about $3 million to make up the difference of the $7.5 million he was owed when he was fired. The Chargers will pay him $2.5 million in the fourth year.Jan 27, 2002
            Yeah but that was pretty good money for back then.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
              French Speaking Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Québec city
              • Send PM

If the Chargers kept Marty two more years,
              Chargers could have 1 or 2 SuperBowl appearance in 2007, 2008, at least !

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

The Spano are paying for the new training facility.

As for Reid vs McCoy, it was unknown at the time who would be better. Reid had just crashed and burned the last two seasons with the Eagles. McCoy was viewed as the new hot upcoming OC. It didn’t work out for us unfortunately. A lot of people on this board wanted Urban Meyer since he was a winning HC, abeit in college, but he proved to be a horrible and expensive hire for the Jags.

As for stadiums, Kroenke is probably the only owner is the NFL who could do what he did. Every other owner, regardless of wealth, has gotten public financing for their stadium. It just is for good or bad.

Since you also brought up Kroenke, was he cheap since he only paid McVay $2 million a year when he first hired him in 2017?
                I did want Reid, I knew the Eagles blew it, I didn’t even know McCoy, and I was a HARD NO on Urban - i saw that train wreck coming from 3000 miles away. he was the next Chip Kelly, I just didn’t konw he’d be that much faster to crash.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
                  If the Chargers kept Marty two more years,
                  Chargers could have 1 or 2 SuperBowl appearance in 2007, 2008, at least !
                  I think so too. Never know. I don’t really buy the can’t win big one shit, too much random chance. Byner fumble a foot from the goal line isn’t bad coaching. McCree too dumb to not just knock it down, and if caught just go to ground - thats not something a coach can prevent and no excuse. Meh - he made winner out of terminal losers - he did it in Phil, KC and SD. Bad coaches don’t do that.

I think I’m in the minority
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltjolt
                    Dont let the PBs fool ya
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Henderson, NV
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by charger1_sj View Post

Yeah but that was pretty good money for back then.
                    Not really. Washington signed him for 7.5 mil per season.

Alex Spanos got him on the cheap with Washington kicking in 3 mil for 3 seasons. Then we only paid him 2.5 mil his last season.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                      Dont let the PBs fool ya
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Henderson, NV
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I did want Reid, I knew the Eagles blew it, I didn’t even know McCoy, and I was a HARD NO on Urban - i saw that train wreck coming from 3000 miles away. he was the next Chip Kelly, I just didn’t konw he’d be that much faster to crash.
                      Wow again, agree 100%.

I gave Urban 1 season before he quits. He didn't even last that long lol.

Comment

• charger1_sj
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Nov 2022
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Not really. Washington signed him for 7.5 mil per season.

Alex Spanos got him on the cheap with Washington kicking in 3 mil for 3 seasons. Then we only paid him 2.5 mil his last season.
                        That's not what the quote says. I don't know what he was paid but $7.5M sounds like an awful lot back in the 2000/2001 time frame.

OK, I tried looking it up. When Marty left Washington he had $10M and 3 YEARS left on his four year deal. That's no where close to $7.5M/yr.

Comment

• Fleet 1
                          TPB Founder
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Kauai
                          • Send PM

Comment

Working...
                          X