• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghost
    The Rise of Kellen Moore
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

All-22 film breakdown of Moore offense by a big Cowboys fan, of Kellen Moore's first game as coordinator.

Comment

• ghost
      The Rise of Kellen Moore
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Cowboys v Chargers full game Week 3 - 2021 season

Cowboys rushed for for 198 yards against the Bolts. Very close game in all other aspects.

Comment

• colorado
        Fan since '62
        • Jun 2023
        • Desert Rat
        • Nothing but time on my hands
        • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
        https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...ates-to-watch/

NFL head coaches on shaky ground entering 2023 season: Eight hot-seat candidates to watch

Every NFL offseason is an exercise in change. Not only for players, but for coaching staffs across the league. This year, for example, five different teams -- roughly 15% of the NFL -- will have new head coaches, just a year after 10 (!) jobs changed hands.

The 2023 season will inevitably prompt more change on the sidelines. While many icons, like the Chiefs' Andy Reid and the Steelers' Mike Tomlin, are all but locked into their jobs for as long as they choose, a slew of others are wading into murkier waters.

Of course, in a team sport, head coaches don't solely deserve blame for whatever struggles might be muddying their future, but in a results-based business -- and in a league that prioritizes parity -- there's a price to be paid for a lack of success.

With that in mind, here's a look at head coaches standing on shakier ground entering 2023:

Brandon Staley, Chargers

Year: 3rd | Record: 19-15 | Playoffs: 0-1
        ​
        Staley, 40, has kept Los Angeles competitive. But even with a lineup flush with all-stars, his teams have folded at the worst times, in dramatic fashion. His first year ended with quizzical time management in a Week 18 play-in defeat, and last year ended with a blown 27-0 playoff lead, the worst in team history. Without steady results from a talented defense, Staley's now betting on Kellen Moore, his third offensive coordinator in as many years, to take star quarterback Justin Herbert over the hump.​

-------
        If Kellen Moore puts the Chargers over the hump on the offense, I think we are all bullish on that idea, and if Mack/Bosa have a year like we all believe they can and stay healthy, then Staley will have a shot an earning himself an extension. Difficulty-level, Staley's going up against the 2nd winningest coaches in the league in 1) Andy Reid 2) Sean Payton in the same division. ​
        Not only the 2nd winningest coaches in the league but HOF material in the same division. I sure hope he wears that hat on Game Day that allows him to pull that rabbit out when needed.

What was it Jerry Glanville said the NFL means if you're a head coach and you don't win, "Not For Long" ?

Comment

• BayAreaBoltz
          Chargers Hall of Fame
          • Sep 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

But Lombo was his OC both years, this sportswriter is on shaky ground.
          Yup. That also caught my eye. What do these guys truly know?

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I agree with the obvious (albeit I have confidence the Chargers are going to do very well and end the chatter)

But Lombo was his OC both years, this sportswriter is on shaky ground.
            Herbert's 3rd OC in 4 years? True statement. The writer may have had a few beers too many.

Comment

• Heatmiser
              BetterToday ThanYesterday
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

All-22 film breakdown of Moore offense by a big Cowboys fan, of Kellen Moore's first game as coordinator.
              Thanks Ghost! It's a good video. The first four highlights show how inaccurate Prescot was in that game. Every pass was off target. Herbert should thrive (especially if he plays that Giants defense!)

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                French Speaking Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Québec city
                • Send PM

Coincidence ?
                Right now, I have a Cowboys Giants game on TV.
                But it is N. Turner who is the DAL OC !

Comment

• ghost
                  The Rise of Kellen Moore
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post

Coincidence ?
                  Right now, I have a Cowboys Giants game on TV.
                  But it is N. Turner who is the DAL OC !
                  I was watching a NFL telecast from the early 80s with the 49ers and the color analyst Wayne Walker. Within the five minutes, I realized that Wayne Walker was the best color guy I ever heard. As example, Wayne would do a replay and point out a lineman, Wayne: See that? That's called a jab step. Then he would go back to explaining the overall play.

636308052060325532-DFPD55059.webp

Wayne played LB from 1957-1972 and held the all-time record for most games played by a Lion until Jason Hanson. All-Pro in the booth too. I learn fucking nothing from Romo or Aikman.

Comment

• ghost
                    The Rise of Kellen Moore
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Thanks Ghost! It's a good video. The first four highlights show how inaccurate Prescot was in that game. Every pass was off target. Herbert should thrive (especially if he plays that Giants defense!)

TG
                    Kinda dumped my brain out of a bunch of stuff. I'm interested in how Moore will construct his Charger playbook. I was looking at play counts, Chargers run an average of 70 plays a game. That's roughly 17 offensive snaps on-average per quarter. Moore plans on running inside zone, outside zone in the run game as staples. The passing game will be RPO/slant, jerk route, jet sweep, flanker screen, screen pass, mesh or shallow crosses, bubble screen in short yardage situation and working the perimeters, and everything left on the route tree is for splash plays: deep out, deep in, post, skinny post, & go. I'm not so interested in the WR position in this post, as the quad sets have already received alot of coverage, but his is about the running game evolving into inside and outside zone.

personnel groups.png

Then practice these same concepts in different personnel groups. Plus good coaches throw in at least one new gadget play a week during the season to keep the troops engaged and it keeps practice fresh. I think I see some vision of the offense and that leads me to think that the back that can effectively pick a gap in 5 steps; Josh Kelley or Isaiah Spiller, will win the job as starter at power back. That is the most interesting battle coming up in camp. I will say this, Ezekiel Elliott may have lost a step but is still one of the premier short yardage backs in the league and he has superior 5-step gap processing abilities, if is comes to a one-year 'prove-it' contract if he wants to chase a ring, I believe it is worth considering.

Comment

• ghost
                      The Rise of Kellen Moore
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Join us live as we react to the latest around #Chargers Mini Camp. Including Kellen Moore's vertical passing game, Austin Ekeler's return, player stock watch...

Kellen Moore and the Vertical Game

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

Cowboys v Chargers full game Week 3 - 2021 season

Cowboys rushed for for 198 yards against the Bolts. Very close game in all other aspects.
                        storm norton is doggone AWFUL! How did homeboy ever become an olineman? Looks like he wears lead shoes!

Comment

• ghost
                          The Rise of Kellen Moore
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Route Tree.png

Comment

Working...
                          X