• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Aside from injuries they did nothing to address their principal problem on offense which is the lack of any real running game. No juice at RB just Ekeler who is one more year bitter and the hope that Spiller or Kelley becomes something other than they have been. Don’t forget Moore had the 1-2 punch of Pollard and Elliot. We’re punchless
    A running game can power along with only decent rbs ... its been done many times before with teams who need to depend on it more than the Hebert lead Chargers.
    Slater, Johnson, Linsley, ...., Pip: that should be good enough to do the job.

Not having to face 11 defenders in the box because Herbert is told never to throw it beyond the line of scrimmage will help a lot.

Ekeler is better than decent;
    maybe, Spiller will show a pulse.

Yes, i'd have preferred a running back in the 4rth round.

Comment

• madcaplafs
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Oct 2022
      • Send PM

There sure is a lot of hope pinned on Moore being able to transform the Charger offense. We are basically running it back on personnel, hoping for good health and Kellen Moore to turn what was often a painful offense to watch into a juggernaut. It’s a tall order.
      I wonder if we'd all be anointing Lombardi as a genius if Slater/Herbert/Allen/M-dub were healthy last year.

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

A running game can power along with only decent rbs ... its been done many times before with teams who need to depend on it more than the Hebert lead Chargers.
        Slater, Johnson, Linsley, ...., Pip: that should be good enough to do the job.

Not having to face 11 defenders in the box because Herbert is told never to throw it beyond the line of scrimmage will help a lot.

Ekeler is better than decent;
        maybe, Spiller will show a pulse.

Yes, i'd have preferred a running back in the 4rth round.
        Salyer is the RG. This should be a good OL. Run or pass block
        Ekeler, Kelley and Spiller have more than enough juice to be an average rushing offense with decent blocking and a good game plan
        It's on Moore.

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Those two years of Lombo are fused into your brain jamrock.

Confusing defenses is actually permitted in the NFL .... you do realize offensive coordinators are permitted to do that?

The personnel is rock solid with a few stars.

Definitely took a toll. But I was also around during the tail end of Gilman and all of Coryell eras. I know what what an innovative offense looks like. We'll see what Moore's got.

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by madcaplafs View Post

I wonder if we'd all be anointing Lombardi as a genius if Slater/Herbert/Allen/M-dub were healthy last year.
            Doubtful. Our rushing and scoring offense never kept pace with passing yards when they were healthy.
            He was not good at half time adjustments either. Our 3rd quarters were pathetic on O.

Comment

• sonorajim
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Aside from injuries they did nothing to address their principal problem on offense which is the lack of any real running game. No juice at RB just Ekeler who is one more year bitter and the hope that Spiller or Kelley becomes something other than they have been. Don’t forget Moore had the 1-2 punch of Pollard and Elliot. We’re punchless
              Dallas was normally a top 10 rushing O with Moore. Players do count. So do coaching and playcalling. I think we're comparable to Dallas on OL talent and the RBs are not totally gutless.
              We need to get out of the cellar on run. NFL average would be fine and is doable. The '22 SB winner was #20 rushing.
              We added Slater, moved Zion and Salyer, brought in a top OC / run game coach/ play caller. My only question is about Moore being able to find something the OL does well as run blockers? I know that is his intention. I'll be most interested in seeing OL work under Moore.

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Doubtful. Our rushing and scoring offense never kept pace with passing yards when they were healthy.
                He was not good at half time adjustments either. Our 3rd quarters were pathetic on O.
                it was actually amazing how consistently poor they were

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                  French Speaking Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Québec city
                  • Send PM

It's not only the 3rd quarter, it's the 2nd half !

A look at the Chargers’ struggles in the third quarter this season (usatoday.com)​

Comment

• YAC
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                    I doubt it - it will skew towards more pass as that is our strength. only 7 teams had 50% or more rush plays last season - they are notable for either having a running QB (Eagles, Ravens) or a shit pass offense.
                    100%. I strongly suspect Moore ran as often because of Jerry-pressure and his personnel.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by YAC View Post

100%. I strongly suspect Moore ran as often because of Jerry-pressure and his personnel.
                      Moore is going to call 40+ pass plays vs Dallas and the offense will score about that much.
                      He's probably already pre-game planning for that Dallas D.
                      Chargers vs. Everyone

Comment

• powderblueboy
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jul 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

I'm going to guess it's on the lower side of 42-48%.

Last year: Chargers run/pass was 36.2/63.8%.

Where I'd like to see them run better/more is in the redzone. Their redzone scoring (TD) rate was @ 54.55%
                        For comparison, Dallas led the league with a 71.43%. Followed by KC (71.08) and Philly (68.00).

Maybe the 3 best offensive lines in the league, and rbs who would impress nobody playing behind crap olines.

Chargers have invested heavily on the Oline.

Comment

• Boltnut
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Feb 2019
                          • Send PM

Last 5 Super Bowl winning RB's:
                          Isaiah Pacheco
                          Darrell Henderson
                          Ronald Jones
                          Chiefs RBBC
                          Sony Michel

Comment