• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lefty2SLO
    Moderate Skeptic
    • May 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

This smacks of Jerry 100%. Mc is a company man.
    McCarthy and Lombardi would have got on well . . . . . . . . . . . I hope their defense is as good as McCarthy thinks it is - they're going to need it to be. They'll be putting Dak in known passing situations a lot.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Thank you. So many interesting stats in the NFL. It's why analytics keeps growing. I am not terribly surprised by our ranking, having watched all the games and seen Herbert's forced third down heroics time after time. The one team that does really surprise me is the Tom Brady led Buccaneers. Would not have thought that of him.

TG
      TB threw a lot to the slot and underneath. The ball came out quick on most downs.

Comment

• YAC
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2023
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Mike McCarthy also wanted to go run heavy from what I've read. Here is one quote:

"Kellen wants to light the scoreboard up," McCarthy said (via the Dallas Morning News), "but I want him to run the damn ball so I can rest my defense .​.... I don't desire to be the No. 1 offense in the league. I want to be the No. 1 team in the league with the number of wins and a championship. And if we've got to give up some production and take care of the ball a little better to get that, then that's what we'll do because we have a really good defense."
        McCarthy is a disengenous butt-licker. That comment was intended for his boss, and the dinosaur segment of the Cowboys fan base. I would bet my car that McCarthy will end up passing more, if anything.

Comment

• colorado
          Fan since '62
          • Jun 2023
          • Desert Rat
          • Nothing but time on my hands
          • Send PM

You've got to be able to run the ball if you want to open up play action and the passing game. Right?

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by colorado View Post
            You've got to be able to run the ball if you want to open up play action and the passing game. Right?
            Yes. Moore's O is built on @ 50/50 run/ pass. That's approximately. Probably pass heavy in LA but not a lot.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Yes. Moore's O is built on @ 50/50 run/ pass. That's approximately. Probably pass heavy in LA but not a lot.
              I doubt it - it will skew towards more pass as that is our strength. only 7 teams had 50% or more rush plays last season - they are notable for either having a running QB (Eagles, Ravens) or a shit pass offense.
              “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Fleet 1
                TPB Founder
                • Jun 2013
                • Kauai
                • Send PM

Moore and QJ additions will be what this offense needed. I think if we cant run on 1st down...Moore will do something else. Just basic shit like that will help immensely.

Deep take.

Comment

• Topcat
                  AKA "Pollcat"
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
                  Moore and QJ additions will be what this offense needed. I think if we cant run on 1st down...Moore will do something else. Just basic shit like that will help immensely.

Deep take.
                  Hopefully we won't see too much of the 1st down Lombo special: Ekkie up the gut for nada...OR...incomplete pass on a 5-yd. stick route...ugh...

Comment

• sonorajim
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I doubt it - it will skew towards more pass as that is our strength. only 7 teams had 50% or more rush plays last season - they are notable for either having a running QB (Eagles, Ravens) or a shit pass offense.
                    My guess is roughly 42-48 % run. Everybody talks 50/50, few mean it literally. Our most obvious strength is pass. We will pass and if that's all we have, we're screwed. With our OL and RBs there is absolutely no excuse not to be average at least. No way in hell that Moore, the OL and RBs want to wear that #30 rushing stat again. That, and it means a lot to offensive efficiency to be a more complete team than we were..

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

My guess is roughly 42-48 % run. Everybody talks 50/50, few mean it literally. Our most obvious strength is pass. We will pass and if that's all we have, we're screwed. With our OL and RBs there is absolutely no excuse not to be average at least. No way in hell that Moore, the OL and RBs want to wear that #30 rushing stat again. That, and it means a lot to offensive efficiency to be a more complete team than we were..
                      I'm going to guess it's on the lower side of 42-48%.

Last year: Chargers run/pass was 36.2/63.8%.

Where I'd like to see them run better/more is in the redzone. Their redzone scoring (TD) rate was @ 54.55%
                      For comparison, Dallas led the league with a 71.43%. Followed by KC (71.08) and Philly (68.00).

Comment

• jubei
                        Vagabond Ninja
                        • Feb 2019
                        • Send PM

I'd like them to get more than a yard if running on 1st down. that 1st down rush for nothing really puts them behind the sticks.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

League median in 2022 was 56.2% pass. KC and CIN were >60%. BUF was 57% due to Allen's running. only major playoff contender with a low ratio was Philly - and we all understand why - they have a running QB.

We don't have a running QB - we'll be closer to KC and CIN, ~60%
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X