• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Maniaque 6
    French Speaking Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Québec city
    • Send PM

A desperate team who has too many pics for their ability to pay them ?
    Otherwise, wait one year and get him as a FA.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He didn't say he didn't want to be a Charger.

He is finding out the market isn't there. His agent has been trying to find a trade for him so saying it's time to trade him....what do you think they have been doing?

Telesco isnt going to give him away and then someone has to pay him.

Looks like we have him for one more year. It isn't like they won't extend him, but it isn't going to be for what he wants.
      I just think if you have a year where you are pushing a lot of chips into the table - you cannot have Ekeler hanging over the team. Hold out, hold in, whatever.

The odds of getting a comp pick in 2025 are slim and none - there are benefits of moving on from him even if draft compensation might be lower than what some think he would be worth. Like, the chargers can take that 6m of cap space and sign a player like JJ3 or Edge depth like Floyd and make the defense better.

Comment

• Critty
        Dominate the Day.
        • Mar 2019
        • Send PM

I don't think Ekeler holds out. He said if nothing happens he would play and try again next year. But, would Chargers think about non exclusive tag him next year.
        Who has it better than us?

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
          I don't think Ekeler holds out. He said if nothing happens he would play and try again next year. But, would Chargers think about non exclusive tag him next year.
          hell no - chargers would not be tagging Ekeler at 10m or whatever the tag is

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Let him play here one more year and if he leaves and signs a contract elsewhere, we'll get a compensatory pick for him.

Comment

• Budsman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • May 2017
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He didn't say he didn't want to be a Charger.

He is finding out the market isn't there. His agent has been trying to find a trade for him so saying it's time to trade him....what do you think they have been doing?

Telesco isnt going to give him away and then someone has to pay him.

Looks like we have him for one more year. It isn't like they won't extend him, but it isn't going to be for what he wants.
              I think we need to read between the lines here. Sure Ekeler said the right thing at the very end but it’s obvious he’s very unhappy with his situation and used the words “punched in the face”. No player that is this unhappy about their pay and feels insulted is going to play 100% for your team. As a people leader these are the sort of people that poison a team with negativity. They can be top performers but if they’re negative and spread that to other team members they aren’t worth the trouble.

If the Chargers draft a RB in the top 3 rounds expect a trade before the season starts. Ekeler is still going around talking about him being unhappy about his pay and feeling hurt about the lack of contract negotiations. He’s airing dirty laundry and I 100% guarantee GMs and Coaches don’t like it when they do this. Sure he can be unhappy but if he keeps it between him and his agent and the team and then leaves that’s not burning bridges. Going in public and talking about it over and over and over is without a doubt creating angst on the chargers and he’s forcing their hand on a trade. He may play on a bad team next year but I’m willing to bet it’s not the chargers.

On a side note he’s not a good fit for Moores running scheme anyway. Go watch this https://youtu.be/031uSWmCUQo and tell me they don’t draft a top RB this year.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Budsman View Post

I think we need to read between the lines here. Sure Ekeler said the right thing at the very end but it’s obvious he’s very unhappy with his situation and used the words “punched in the face”. No player that is this unhappy about their pay and feels insulted is going to play 100% for your team. As a people leader these are the sort of people that poison a team with negativity. They can be top performers but if they’re negative and spread that to other team members they aren’t worth the trouble.

If the Chargers draft a RB in the top 3 rounds expect a trade before the season starts. Ekeler is still going around talking about him being unhappy about his pay and feeling hurt about the lack of contract negotiations. He’s airing dirty laundry and I 100% guarantee GMs and Coaches don’t like it when they do this. Sure he can be unhappy but if he keeps it between him and his agent and the team and then leaves that’s not burning bridges. Going in public and talking about it over and over and over is without a doubt creating angst on the chargers and he’s forcing their hand on a trade. He may play on a bad team next year but I’m willing to bet it’s not the chargers.

On a side note he’s not a good fit for Moores running scheme anyway. Go watch this https://youtu.be/031uSWmCUQo and tell me they don’t draft a top RB this year.
                IMO, the notion that Ekeler is poisoning the team with negativity seems like a big stretch from everything I have read. He wants a raise and long term commitment and isn't getting it from the Chargers. He has no leverage aside from asking for a trade or holding out.

While we could (and should) draft a RB somewhere, I watched that video and am puzzled why you'd think a guy like Ekeler with good vision and cutback ability would not be a good fit for what was shown on those running plays. What am I missing?

Comment

• chargeroo
                  Fan since 1961
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Oregon
                  • Retired Manager/Pastor
                  • Send PM

This problem Ekeler is having points to the overall problem the RBs in the league have. After four years they become much more expensive than a rookie RB is and RB happens to be a position that players can step right into from college. It looks like the RBs are going to find it very difficult to get the big bucks that other positions get.
                  THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Budsman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

IMO, the notion that Ekeler is poisoning the team with negativity seems like a big stretch from everything I have read. He wants a raise and long term commitment and isn't getting it from the Chargers. He has no leverage aside from asking for a trade or holding out.

While we could (and should) draft a RB somewhere, I watched that video and am puzzled why you'd think a guy like Ekeler with good vision and cutback ability would not be a good fit for what was shown on those running plays. What am I missing?
                    Agree to disagree on the negativity Ekeler is going to have and how that can seep into the team.

That zone scheme is messy, it creates holes that aren’t huge. Ekeler is going to have to break some arm tackles and get through small tight spaces. Ekeler is better in space but while he could potentially have limited success he’s going to get worn down quickly if you bank on him working in that sort of slop.

The Dallas RBs were 210 for pollard, 230 for Zeek
                    Last edited by Budsman; 04-05-2023, 10:17 AM.

Comment

• AK47
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • May 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by chargeroo View Post
                      This problem Ekeler is having points to the overall problem the RBs in the league have. After four years they become much more expensive than a rookie RB is and RB happens to be a position that players can step right into from college. It looks like the RBs are going to find it very difficult to get the big bucks that other positions get.
                      Facts ^

image.png

Comment

• richpjr
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Nashville
                        • Send PM

Agree to disagree on the negativity Ekeler is going to have and how that can seep into the team.

That zone scheme is messy, it creates holes that aren’t huge. Ekeler is going to have to break some arm tackles and get through small tight spaces. Ekeler is better in space but while he could potentially have limited success he’s going to get worn down quickly if you bank on him working in that sort of slop.

I am not saying that if Ekeler decided to mope and gripe to everyone on the team that it couldn't be detrimental - I just don't see him doing that. There are no secrets in the league and any potential suitor would think twice about giving an aging RB with a shitty attitude a big contract.

I think the Pollard comparison is close as he is 10 lbs heavier spread over his extra 3 inches in height. I expect Ekeler to perform similar to how he did.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

You could say this but ekeler is mighty mouse and can break arm tackles. It was the swarms in the backfield that killed his game there. The biggest issue is attitude.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X