• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sonorajim
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2019
    • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

Why can't they count on that again? Because we've improved so much? Because we've been a SERIOUS threat to their divisional dominance over the past 6 years? Where is all this optimism coming from...other than just being a Pollyanna? Does signing Eric Kendricks put us over the top? Maybe re-signing Pipkins and Fox is gonna make all the difference. "We're as good or better than KC". Talk about LOL! Yeah, and our record proves it. There is NOTHING in the past 6 years to suggest that the Chargers - or Raiders or Broncos, for that matter - post a serious threat to KC in the division for the foreseeable future. Management and the coaching staff are in full desperation mode, backloading contracts beyond this, their final, season so we're headed for cap hell starting next year.

All the Span-Asses managed to do after the monumental collapse in the playoffs last year is prolong the agony. We're in need of a full rebuild - hell, we're in need of new OWNERS - and maintaining most of the status quo for '23 just put us back ANOTHER year before we can even begin to hope for a turnaround.
    Exactly. Staley's Chargers have played them 4 times. They're 3-1 against Staley, all 1 score games.. KC' held a slim edge and Moore changes that. Guaranteed.
    6 Yrs? LOL! Why not 10 or 20? Just because those players and coaches are gone? HC & QBs are the same 2 yrs. Both OLs and several skill players will be different. I like our D over KC's when we can get a majority on the field healthy.
    What do we need to turn around? The steady improvement in W's? Making the playoffs? I strongly disagree..

Comment

• QSmokey
      Guardedly Optimistic
      • Jun 2013
      • Kuna, Idaho
      • Retired
      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

Exactly. Staley's Chargers have played them 4 times. They're 3-1 against Staley, all 1 score games.. KC' held a slim edge and Moore changes that. Guaranteed.
      6 Yrs? LOL! Why not 10 or 20? Just because those players and coaches are gone? HC & QBs are the same 2 yrs. Both OLs and several skill players will be different. I like our D over KC's when we can get a majority on the field healthy.
      What do we need to turn around? The steady improvement in W's? Making the playoffs? I strongly disagree..
      We've improved? That's news to me. Moore is gonna make that big a difference? Dream on. And hell, it COULD be 10 more years that we're looking up at KC in the standings. Mahomes is, what, 28 years old? If he's like Brady, he's got fifteen more years to dominate the AFC West. How many times did NE win the AFC East during Brady's career? Easier question: How many time did Buff, Miami, or NYJ win the AFC East during Brady's career? Answer: Same number of many time DEN, LV, or the Chargers have won the AFC West during Mahomes' career (minus the year Brady tore his ACL).

But that's gonna suddenly change...because we hired a guy who was unceremoniously fired from his previous job? You guarantee it? Or is it Kendricks that's getting you all giddy? Or is this going to be the FIRST YEAR in forever that injuries don't play a part in our depth-starved team? You know it's gonna happen. If not Slater, it will be Linsley lost for the season; or Zion. If not KA, then Ekeler (if he's even on the team). If not Bosa, then Mack. And we'll be bemoaning our tough luck, telling each other (because the guys who post here are the only ones who will entertain such lunacy) that we're as good or better than KC (LOL!) and 'guaranteeing' great things.

Had to add this little stat:

Tom Brady's career record against the AFC East: 90-22 = 80.3% winning percentage
      Patrick Mahomes' career record against AFC West: 27-3 = 90% winning percentage

But, hey, we're as good - or better! - than the Chiefs!!!
      Last edited by QSmokey; 03-16-2023, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

Kendricks is a really good LB. He will be a big help against the run. I hope they can re-sign Dru and team him with Kendricks. Last year they made a mistake with Chenna, I hope they learned a lesson from that.
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
          Moderate Skeptic
          • May 2022
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Rambler View Post
          The collective bargaining agreement puts some limits on what players can be asked to do in organized team activities. And there are playbooks to learn, teammates to meet and bond with, etc. Duke's camp is a way for highly motivated offensive linemen to learn their craft, and to be around other highly motivated colleagues during a time during the offseason when they can focus exclusively on that stuff.

It's a great thing that Slater got involved, and is getting a few others on the team involved. Not necessarily a ding against our coaches.
          This

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Pretty sad when some of your players that need to get coached up, have to attend a summer camp to get the coaching they need to up their game...LB and O-line coaching staff both seem to have whiffed here...
            Hasnt the NFLPA bargained extraordinary restrictions into the CBA that effectively prohbit team’s coaches from coaching players during winter/spring and outside of officially allowed narrow OTA and PS windows? Coaches can’t just hold camps for players all spring based on the disclaimer they are “voluntary”, can they?
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Rugger05
              Administrator
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Decent signing. I will take kendricks, Pipkins and Fox over Tranquill and either Pipkins or Fox any day. Sadly ILB are more replaceable than OT's or pass rushing DT's

Comment

• Kellyb72601
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Sep 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

They all are. Sometimes it works sometimes not.
                We already know that Murray is not the sharpest LB. Strong & fast, yes. Smart, not so much.
                The question in my mind is how good of teachers, leaders and mechanics are Jeff Howard and Eric Kendricks.
                It's something I'll be watching.
                Jeff Howard knows how to coach linebackers. I believe a big part of why he was brought here was to bring out the potential in Murray. Howard was an all American D2 linebacker himself. He was a lot like Zach Thomas - undersized, but a total fundamental tackling machine.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Kellyb72601 View Post

Jeff Howard knows how to coach linebackers. I believe a big part of why he was brought here was to bring out the potential in Murray. Howard was an all American D2 linebacker himself. He was a lot like Zach Thomas - undersized, but a total fundamental tackling machine.
                  Murray will take a miracle. He just doesn't diagnose plays like a good LB should and gets caught up in the mess too often and taken out of plays.

He should be on the trade block as well.

Comment

• Wrbanwal
                    FUdean
                    • Dec 2022
                    • Send PM

This guy suddenly becomes the leading tackler for the FUdean's. Is 31 the new 26?

Comment

• sonorajim
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

We've improved? That's news to me. Moore is gonna make that big a difference? Dream on. And hell, it COULD be 10 more years that we're looking up at KC in the standings. Mahomes is, what, 28 years old? If he's like Brady, he's got fifteen more years to dominate the AFC West. How many times did NE win the AFC East during Brady's career? Easier question: How many time did Buff, Miami, or NYJ win the AFC East during Brady's career? Answer: Same number of many time DEN, LV, or the Chargers have won the AFC West during Mahomes' career (minus the year Brady tore his ACL).

But that's gonna suddenly change...because we hired a guy who was unceremoniously fired from his previous job? You guarantee it? Or is it Kendricks that's getting you all giddy? Or is this going to be the FIRST YEAR in forever that injuries don't play a part in our depth-starved team? You know it's gonna happen. If not Slater, it will be Linsley lost for the season; or Zion. If not KA, then Ekeler (if he's even on the team). If not Bosa, then Mack. And we'll be bemoaning our tough luck, telling each other (because the guys who post here are the only ones who will entertain such lunacy) that we're as good or better than KC (LOL!) and 'guaranteeing' great things.

Had to add this little stat:

Tom Brady's career record against the AFC East: 90-22 = 80.3% winning percentage
                      Patrick Mahomes' career record against AFC West: 27-3 = 90% winning percentage

But, hey, we're as good - or better! - than the Chiefs!!!
                      We don't appear to be in the same discussion. My point was, and is the 2021,'22, '23 Chargers vs Chiefs in those same years..
                      9-26-21 LAC 30, KC 24
                      12-16-21 KC 34 LAC 28 OT
                      9-15-22 KC 27 LAC 24
                      11-20-22 KC 30 LAC 27
                      In 4 Staley vs Reid games KC was one play better than us 3 times.
                      I believe we split 1-1 or win both.games in 2023.
                      The odds are good that we will be improved on the injury, personnel and coaching fronts.
                      Only one way to settle it, play 2023!

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Murray will take a miracle. He just doesn't diagnose plays like a good LB should and gets caught up in the mess too often and taken out of plays.

He should be on the trade block as well.
                        I wouldn't go that far. Ansley & Howard can handle diagnosing, Kendricks can make the chess moves. Our big dummy can kick somebody's ass. We talk about teamwork, let's make it so.

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

Hasnt the NFLPA bargained extraordinary restrictions into the CBA that effectively prohbit team’s coaches from coaching players during winter/spring and outside of officially allowed narrow OTA and PS windows? Coaches can’t just hold camps for players all spring based on the disclaimer they are “voluntary”, can they?
                          Serious question (since I know nothing really about the CBA details); what these guys are doing with DM is more 'training' (individual skills) than coaching. Is that not allowed under the CBA (thru the team)? Doesn't the CBA primarily restrict mandatory participation events? Not voluntary?

And doesn't the team have almost as many coaches as players :lol:? These guys can't get this level of instruction during OTA's? Mini camps? Training camps? During the season??? I'm sure that DM's program is not cheap - why are our players spending their own money to receive training that (IMO) the team should be providing? Are we deficient in this area (kinda feels that way).

Comment

Working...
                          X
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍