Welcome DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (Round 2 #54)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • powderblueboy
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jul 2017
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Riverwalk View Post

‘Jack of all trades, master of none’ is what I see. No way this guy replaces Joey or Kahil or starter DT. I think he’s career backup grade in the NFL.
    i'm not exactly elated about the pick, but how do you know this? They certainly needed an edge player.

It's not like you've watched every Trojan game and are quite familiar with this player.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by JOJAX85 View Post

I knew the Seau comparisons were coming just because of his heritage, his school and his age. That's impossible to live up to, but shoot for the stars young fella. I'm sure Junior would be proud.

Love the fact that his first conversation was about being a sponge and learning from Bosa and Mack. Seems grounded and ready to put in the work.
      That's why I thought a defensive end was most likely in the 2nd.

I guess we all should have seen a wide receiver in the first, for the same reason.

They want those old vets to impart their knowledge to future starters.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

‘Jack of all trades, master of none’ is what I see. No way this guy replaces Joey or Kahil or starter DT. I think he’s career backup grade in the NFL.
        I see a guy who gets into the backfield...with a quickness

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

That's why I thought a defensive end was most likely in the 2nd.

I guess we all should have seen a wide receiver in the first, for the same reason.

They want those old vets to impart their knowledge to future starters.
          I dunno. Myles Murphy could've been the 1st Round pick, followed by Jalen Hyatt in the 2nd.

The draft was deep in speed receivers, and the Chargers absolutely did NOT have to use their #1 pick to get one.

By going for a wideout as early as they did, what the Bolts accomplished was getting a speed guy with good size. They weren't going to get *THAT* anywhere other than at #21. (Bryce Ford-Wheaton, notwithstanding. Didn't he end up going undrafted?!? Clearly, there's an untold story THERE...)

Telesco conducted this draft differently than *EYE* would have, certainly. But that doesn't mean this won't turn out to be an outstanding draft class for the Bolts.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Translation: "Bah! Humbug!"

Tuli is just 20 years old, and still developing. He'll get bigger than his current size, and no doubt stronger. No one was claiming that he'd replace Bosa or Mack, especially THIS season.
            The guy had the most sacks and was second in pressures in all of FSB while playing on a bad defense. And as you point out is only 20 and has room to grow and improve his technique. Writing a guy like this off as a career backup seems really, really premature at this point.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
              Charger Fan since 1978
              • Sep 2021
              • Send PM

He was the sack master for all college football last year and he admits that his pass rushing is still a work in progress, sounds like a kid that wants to be great and not satisfied with where he is now…his spin move is coming along, his little hop step double swipe side scissors move is already better than most rookies coming into this draft including guys like nolan smith and myles murphy whom I liked more over due to athleticism…thing is, we are all assuming that tuli’s athleticism is low because he didn’t test, the guy had a hamstring issue that prevented him from participating in all the testing, so he might be way more athletic and most people think…but regardless, the production was really high on a subpar defensive line where he was often the primary focus and he also has a knack for stripping the football and forcing turnovers…the thing I like about what both tuli and scott bring to this d-line is their motor, they don’t quit, they are constantly working and that can make up for a lot of things…
              "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                • Jan 2019
                • Tucson, AZ
                • Send PM

I dunno. Myles Murphy could've been the 1st Round pick, followed by Jalen Hyatt in the 2nd.

The draft was deep in speed receivers, and the Chargers absolutely did NOT have to use their #1 pick to get one.

By going for a wideout as early as they did, what the Bolts accomplished was getting a speed guy with good size. They weren't going to get *THAT* anywhere other than at #21. (Bryce Ford-Wheaton, notwithstanding. Didn't he end up going undrafted?!? Clearly, there's an untold story THERE...)

Telesco conducted this draft differently than *EYE* would have, certainly. But that doesn't mean this won't turn out to be an outstanding draft class for the Bolts.
                In honesty I was surprised by this as well...But I can see the logic here as well given we have two very expensive receivers with injury history. We can't keep paying all these dude big paychecks forever and Murphy could have been a nice replacement for one of them next season.
                Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

9 times out of ten I would’ve preferred murphy/hyatt over johnston/tuilopulotu…that’s what I wanted myself…but after I got over them not drafting murphy I realized that I had always expected johnston to be long gone by pick #21…so isn’t that a good thing? I came to the conclusion that they got their guy, 5at fits their profile, and they got him at #21 not in the top 10-15 where most folks had him going…

there is something genius about the johnston pick, he has that YAC ability that you can’t teach and that we haven’t had here and plus with such a high floor already and so much room to growth still? This guy has the most upside of all the WRs that were drafted in round one his upside alone makes this pick more than worth the gamble, he has that deonte adams type potential if he can clean up his hands and sharpen his routes, is a humble hard working kid from a stable military family upbringing, I have zero worries that this guy is going to put in maximum effort to make himself one of the best WRs in the NFL…sooner than later folks are going to talk about how the chargers stole the best WR in this draft with pick #21…
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Tuipulotu is a cousin to the 49ers' Talanoa Hufanga, who was an All Pro safety in his second season last year. He also went to USC. Hufanga was a 5th round draft pick in 2021. He was still on the board when the Chargers picked Brenden Jaimes in that draft.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

murphy is a rich man's version of clelin ferrell
                      solid floor but no upside, nothing special.
                      G-Ro knows.

Comment

• gzubeck
                        Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Tucson, AZ
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by 21&500 View Post
                        murphy is a rich man's version of clelin ferrell
                        solid floor but no upside, nothing special.
                        I think this is debatable about upside. If he gets 10% stronger and learns a few tricks as well wants to excel his limit is unlimited. Mind over matter here. Baby Bruce. I guess we get to see how he helps on a new perennial playoff team like the Bengals.
                        Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• WindsorUK
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2013
                          • Windsor, U.K.
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post
                          Tuipulotu is a cousin to the 49ers' Talanoa Hufanga, who was an All Pro safety in his second season last year. He also went to USC. Hufanga was a 5th round draft pick in 2021. He was still on the board when the Chargers picked Brenden Jaimes in that draft.
                          Yeah....I wanted Hufanga with that pick.
                          Didn't realise he'd be this impactful, this fast.

Comment

Working...
                          X