Welcome DL Tuli Tuipulotu, USC (Round 2 #54)

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmac_bolt
    Day Tripper
    • May 2019
    • North of the Lagoon
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

All Tuli did was lead the nation in sacks...
    Conference DPOY ain’t a participation trophy
    “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• electricgold
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2020
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

We now have our Fearsome Foursome! Just like the old LA Rams...
      Now we are sweeping Denver, the Raiders, and KC. Patrick Mahomes is going to have no chance against us. We'll destroy all teams we play this year and make a deep playoff run.
      Or else.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
        Smooth Operation
        • May 2017
        • Send PM

Gonna make big, big pa'angas now.
        We do not play modern football.

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2022
          • White Rock, BC Canada
          • Send PM

Mel Kiper

More reaches based on my Big Board and position rankings

• The Chargers kept former USC defensive lineman Tuli Tuipulotu in Los Angeles, but I gave him a third-round grade. He went No. 54 overall. He's a tweener -- 6-foot-3, 266 pounds -- and I'm not sure he can play full time at end or tackle. He has some pass-rush ability, but this was high.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

From Popper

NFL Draft 2023 tracker: Live blog and pick-by-pick analysis

The Chargers selected USC edge rusher Tuli Tuipulotu in the second round with the 54th pick, bolstering their depth behind their top tandem of Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack.

Draft grades: Scott Dochterman on Round 1 | Round 2-3

Big board best available: Who’s left from Dane Brugler’s Top 300? Big board ranking

Tuipulotu was the 75th-ranked player on Dane Brugler’s big board. Brugler mocked Tuipulotu to the Chargers in the third round — at pick No. 85 — of his seven-round mock. The Chargers needed to address edge rusher at some point on Day 2, considering where their depth stood entering the draft. The board did not fall in an ideal way. Four edge rushers went in the first 15 picks of the second round. I had three primary needs for the Chargers entering this draft: tight end, edge rusher and receiver. They addressed receiver in the first round with Quentin Johnston. Now they addressed edge. There were tight end options available at 54, namely Georgia’s Darnell Washington and South Dakota State’s Tucker Kraft. They opted instead for an important defensive rotational piece after going offense in the first round. Introduction

Tuipulotu was a highly productive player in 2022, leading FBS in sacks with 13.5 and ranking second in tackles for loss with 22. The Chargers have valued college production at edge rusher with previous selections. Chris Rumph II, the Chargers’ 2021 fourth-round pick, had 34 sacks over three college seasons. Tuipulotu, at 6 foot 3 and 266 pounds, offers considerably more size and power than Rumph. He lined up inside and outside for the Trojans, rushing from both a standing stance and with his hand in the dirt. Tuipulotu has shorter arms (32.25 inches) and did not test at the combine or pro day because of a right hamstring injury. He is not an elite athlete for the position and has only “average get-off,” according to Brugler. But he is a high-motor player with heavy hands, and his effort was likely an attractive trait for coach Brandon Staley and general manager Tom Telesco. How he fits

The Chargers wanted to take an edge rusher in the 2022 draft, but they did not get the right opportunity with the way the board fell. Instead, they signed Kyle Van Noy after the draft as their rotational edge rusher behind Bosa and Mack. Bosa tore his groin in Week 3 and missed most of the regular season, forcing Van Noy into a full-time edge rushing role. Van Noy played well down the stretch, but it took him until the second half of the season to find his rhythm. The Chargers’ edge rushing depth was a major roster hole in 2022. Rumph suffered a knee injury in Week 7 and did not take the leap the Chargers were hoping for. Tuipulotu fills that hole. He won’t turn 21 until September and should have a ton of potential as he matures. He started 30 straight games for the Trojans from 2020 to 2022. Rookie impact

Tuipulotu will push for significant playing time as a rookie. In a perfect world, Bosa and Mack will both play 80-plus percent of the defensive snaps each game. But as we saw last year with Bosa’s injury, that perfect world is not necessarily realistic. Mack turned 32 in February. Bosa has played a full season just three times in his career. Tuipulotu adds insurance for the Chargers’ two star pass rushers and, at his age, has a ton of room to grow into a starter down the road. Depth-chart impact

Rumph is a solid special teams player, but he has not developed into the pass rusher or run defender the Chargers were expecting when they drafted him in 2021. He is best served in a fourth edge rusher role, making his biggest impact as a special teams coverage player. The addition of Tuipulotu allows that. Fast evaluation

Tuipulotu might not have top-tier athleticism, but he is a very young player coming off one of the most productive pass-rushing seasons in college football last year. He brings a ton of upside at a position of need for the Chargers. Brugler had a third-round grade on Tuipulotu, noting some weaknesses in his get-off, a lack of explosiveness and some inconsistencies in the run game and as a tackler. But he was 62nd on The Athletic’s final consensus big board, so I would not characterize this as a reach. The Chargers could not go another draft without using a top-100 pick on an edge rusher. This pick makes sense on several levels.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• JOJAX85
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Irmo, SC
              • Send PM

Originally posted by ghost View Post
              Fleeter, I view Tuli as Uchenna but with much heavier hands and an aggressiveness that reminds me of Junior Seau. Hey, SD + USC connection....
              Whoa let's not put that kind of pressure on him just yet. That being said they do share a lot of similarities. Junior was 20 when he came in, too. Billy Ray Smith said about him, "Junior came in Pro ready". Excited to see what Tuli brings.

Comment

• Velo
                Ride!
                • Aug 2019
                • Everywhere
                • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Critty View Post
                And his motor works toward harassing the passer all day.
                It seems like that the three picks so far are high motor guys.

Comment

• electricgold
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2020
                  • Send PM

As long as Tuli comes in and gets sacks OK I'm good with the pick. Staley made a point to say he is the nations sack leader so that's why we drafted him. We need more pressure on the QB.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by electricgold View Post
                    As long as Tuli comes in and gets sacks OK I'm good with the pick. Staley made a point to say he is the nations sack leader so that's why we drafted him. We need more pressure on the QB.
                    On tape I see a 290lb dude that's probably got 5:10 40 speed. Thing is he literally runs a 5:10 while pushing 300lb OTs aside.

44 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks for a slow pass rusher coming from the outside? That tells me he's got crazy power.

Now he's down to 266lbs in the combine at least. Could probably run 4.90 now lol.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2022
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post
                      Mel Kiper

More reaches based on my Big Board and position rankings

• The Chargers kept former USC defensive lineman Tuli Tuipulotu in Los Angeles, but I gave him a third-round grade. He went No. 54 overall. He's a tweener -- 6-foot-3, 266 pounds -- and I'm not sure he can play full time at end or tackle. He has some pass-rush ability, but this was high.
                      I respect Mel Kiper for the career he has made for himself, and his contribution to what the NFL Draft has become. His player evaluations cannot be taken seriously.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

I respect Mel Kiper for the career he has made for himself, and his contribution to what the NFL Draft has become. His player evaluations cannot be taken seriously.
                        He’s more often an inverse indicator imo. The Costanza Effect …george costanza ladies GIF
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Lefty2SLO
                          Moderate Skeptic
                          • May 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

The fact that Mel dissed the pick make me very happy . . . . . I'd have been concerned if he agreed with the selection

Comment

Working...
                          X