Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

The WR room today is

QJ
    Will
    KA
    Palmer
    DAvis for his PR/KR ability

WR6 is wide open. Guyton is not secured anything
    Nobody is guaranteed a roster spot, but nobody is going to beat out Guyton for a place on the WR depth chart.

Moore likes to carry six WR on his depth chart - I checked the Cowboys depth charts for when he was OC.

When the new league year started, they had three WR under contract : KA, MW, JP. They formulated their draft plans and decided they were going to draft two WR - one in the first round and they had DD targeted later in the draft. That would give them five WR. They re-signed Guyton about a week before the draft to be the sixth guy.

They decided to bring back Guyton because he has the speed that Moore covets (along with DD) and he has history with Herbert, and he was cheap. The depth chart of

1. KA
    2. MW
    3. QJ
    4. JP
    5-6 Guyton-DD

is pretty much a lock. No UDFA is going to beat out Guyton. Pokey is a nice developmental project, and if there are injuries he might get his chance on the roster this season. But on opening day, unless there are injuries in TC or Guyton's knee is not completely healed, the depth chart I specified above is pretty much a lock.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Nobody is guaranteed a roster spot, but nobody is going to beat out Guyton for a place on the WR depth chart.

Moore likes to carry six WR on his depth chart - I checked the Cowboys depth charts for when he was OC.

When the new league year started, they had three WR under contract : KA, MW, JP. They formulated their draft plans and decided they were going to draft two WR - one in the first round and they had DD targeted later in the draft. That would give them five WR. They re-signed Guyton about a week before the draft to be the sixth guy.

They decided to bring back Guyton because he has the speed that Moore covets (along with DD) and he has history with Herbert, and he was cheap. The depth chart of

1. KA
      2. MW
      3. QJ
      4. JP
      5-6 Guyton-DD

is pretty much a lock. No UDFA is going to beat out Guyton. Pokey is a nice developmental project, and if there are injuries he might get his chance on the roster this season. But on opening day, unless there are injuries in TC or Guyton's knee is not completely healed, the depth chart I specified above is pretty much a lock.
      I don't disagree that Guyton probably makes the roster. Just saying that he is not guaranteed. Players they bring back on minimum level deals, even Parham and the DT they signed last week, not guaranteed of anything

Comment

• Maniaque 6
        French Speaking Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Québec city
        • Send PM

2023 Los Angeles Chargers Depth Chart | Ourlads.com

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

I’m not sure there is some big chemistry thing between Herbert and Guyton. Rather, he is a fast receiver who does a decent job splitting the seam and occasionally getting open deep where Herbert excels at delivering the ball. He does a good job catching them but doesn’t really do anything that any other decent receiver can do. I think QJ takes that role over. But Guyton is a huge upgrade over guys like Bandy and Moore so our depth will be much better.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Dec 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
            I’m not sure there is some big chemistry thing between Herbert and Guyton. Rather, he is a fast receiver who does a decent job splitting the seam and occasionally getting open deep where Herbert excels at delivering the ball. He does a good job catching them but doesn’t really do anything that any other decent receiver can do. I think QJ takes that role over. But Guyton is a huge upgrade over guys like Bandy and Moore so our depth will be much better.
            Hell - its a small sample size but QJ is WR3 at worst - if not higher. He has passed Palmer for sure based on the one practice

Yes, that is a bit of hyerbole on my part - but the speed with the ability to create yards after catch is something the offense really needed.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

I don't disagree that Guyton probably makes the roster. Just saying that he is not guaranteed. Players they bring back on minimum level deals, even Parham and the DT they signed last week, not guaranteed of anything
              Not sure Guyton even qualifies for PS...if Pokey really shines in pre-season, put him on the PROTECTED practice squad...call him up if needed...

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Dec 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Not sure Guyton even qualifies for PS...if Pokey really shines in pre-season, put him on the PROTECTED practice squad...call him up if needed...
                The new PS rules does allow for more flexibility with veterans than years passed. I do think Guyton makes the roster but open for better competition. Just not Bandy and Moore level

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Bottom line is that the depth is fantastic for 2023…guys like wilson and guyton add valuable depth in 2024 when changes will have to happen due to cap issues, assuming that neither gets poached off the PS during the season…even in 2024 the chargers will retain a solid core of QJ, JP, DD, and one of either KA or MW…they can draft another WR in mid rounds again next year they can sign more promising UDFAs next year to fill out roster as well…the WR room is set for a few years now with the johnston pick, to me what matters most is the continuity at the top 4 positions…

I’m wondering if the chargers had know about the new kickoff fair catch rule, would they still have drafted DD?
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Velo
                    Ride!
                    • Aug 2019
                    • Everywhere
                    • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                    • Send PM

Hell - its a small sample size but QJ is WR3 at worst - if not higher. He has passed Palmer for sure based on the one practice

Yes, that is a bit of hyerbole on my part - but the speed with the ability to create yards after catch is something the offense really needed.
                    If the top of our WR depth chart doesn't start dropping like flies again, this could be the most dangerous bunch in the league. If Josh Palmer is indeed the No. 4 guy and you have two 4.3 guys rounding out the bottom of the depth chart, it doesn't get any better than that.

Guyton lost last season to injury, but in 2020-21 Guyton had nearly 1,000 yds receiving and scored 6 TDs. He led the league in receiving average in 2020. He has 10 big plays of 40 yds or more. And he's just turning 26 in a few weeks. And he and Herbert have a connection. This is the guy who's at the bottom of the depth chart. Normally the 5-6 guys on a WR depth chart are practice squad recruits or way past their prime veterans.

Look at the Bengals for example. Their top 3 WRs are pretty good and their WR corps is often in the conversation as the league's best. But their bottom three guys, last season anyway, were practice squad level guys. The bottom two guys are both older than Guyton and combined for 62 yds receiving and 0 TDs. One had zero catches last season and has never scored an NFL TD. The other had 6 catches for 62 yds in 2022 but hasn't scored a TD since 2018. Their No. 4 WR, also older than Guyton, had 15 receptions in 2022 for 231 yds and 4 TDs - the only TDs he's scored in his four years in the NFL.

It just goes to show how stacked the Chargers' WR room is right now, and how good Guyton is compared to other bottom-of-the-depth-chart WRs in the league.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                      Day Tripper
                      • May 2019
                      • North of the Lagoon
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                      The magical unique chemistry theory is one of the least likely factors that will decide the roster. Sometimes talking to Velo is like going in circles
                      “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Yup - WR3 on day 1, never a doubt. He was WR3 on draft night. Palmer is solid at WR4. DD makes the active roster for punt returns. Guyton will not even be active unless others are injured. if he makes the 53, that is …
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Velo
                          Ride!
                          • Aug 2019
                          • Everywhere
                          • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post
                          Sometimes talking to Velo is like going in circles
                          Because I usually know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Working...
                          X