Clear All
  • QSmokey
    Guardedly Optimistic
    • Jun 2013
    • Kuna, Idaho
    • Retired
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

C'mon man. These "experts" juggle these guys like hot potatoes. Up and down, up and down.
    In the end, it doesn't matter what those guys think. It only matters what Hortiz and Harbaugh thinks.
    They want to run the ball and protect the QB.

My personal want is for us to trade back with Minnesota. Having the #11 and #23 will net us two very good players.
    In no way can you convince me that Nabers > Fuaga and Edgerrin Cooper. It's impossible.
    I suppose you can say we're in a sweet spot, i.e., there doesn't seem to be a way it can *not* work for us in the draft. It appears as if we're in line for Alt, MHJ, Odunze, Bowers, or Nabors. We can also trade down, and perhaps realize the draft that you proposed, above.

I still think we're going to add at least 1 more WR via FA; possibly 2. I also believe, in a trade down, we'd wait until Day 2 to draft a WR. So we might be adding as many as 3 more WRs before the start of the season.

Comment

• Chargers8491
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2022
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Jordan Schultz said on MacAfee that he thinks MIN, AZ and the Chargers all have the deal you are referencing.
      It’s why MIN specifically went and got 23. That pick was what either team wanted in a respective trade.

AZ trades 4 to MIN for 11-23-108-2025 1st
      MIN gets 4 (McCarthy - QB)
      AZ trades 11-27-90 for LAC 5
      AZ gets 5 (MH2)
      LAC trade 5 for 11-27-90 swap 2nds (to 35 from 37)
      (AZ has 3 3rds) AZ then have 5-23-37-66-71-105-108

So the Chargers in 4 rounds would then have 7 picks…

Hortiz could then move all over the place if he wanted to. A simple move up to 8 or 9 for Bowers or Odunze would be fairly easy as he would be flush with picks.
      2 1’s, a high 2nd, 2 3rds and 2 4ths.
      Both ATL at 8 and CHI at 9 are probably taking defensive players that will be there at 11 anyways…
      I mentioned the double trade with these 3 teams several weeks ago. Some were asking why Arizona doesn't just make the pick at 4 instead of 5 and my answer is because they move up to #23 and potentially pick up another draft pick and they end up with the guy they wanted at 4.

In regard to the Chargers trading back up they might not need to because I think either both or one of Raiders/Broncos will trade into somewhere between 5-10 to pick up a QB. There are a couple of other teams that might want to move up but those are the 2 teams that I would be betting on.
      1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
      2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
      2b- #37 Jenkins DT
      3a- #66 Puni OT
      3b- #69 Sainristill CB
      4a- #105 Rice WR
      4b- #110 Lloyd RB
      5- #140 Green CB
      6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Jordan Schultz said on MacAfee that he thinks MIN, AZ and the Chargers all have the deal you are referencing.
        It’s why MIN specifically went and got 23. That pick was what either team wanted in a respective trade.

AZ gets 5 (MH2)

Hortiz could then move all over the place if he wanted to. A simple move up to 8 or 9 for Bowers or Odunze would be fairly easy as he would be flush with picks.
        Both ATL at 8 and CHI at 9 are probably taking defensive players that will be there at 11 anyways…
        Wow, so to add these to rounds 5-7, we end up with a TOTAL of 11 picks! Sweet!:

image.png

Comment

• jamrock
          lawyers, guns and money
          • Sep 2017
          • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I suppose you can say we're in a sweet spot, i.e., there doesn't seem to be a way it can *not* work for us in the draft. It appears as if we're in line for Alt, MHJ, Odunze, Bowers, or Nabors. We can also trade down, and perhaps realize the draft that you proposed, above.

I still think we're going to add at least 1 more WR via FA; possibly 2. I also believe, in a trade down, we'd wait until Day 2 to draft a WR. So we might be adding as many as 3 more WRs before the start of the season.
          We need at least 3 WRs. Right now the room is Palmer and QJ. DD has not been a true WR option and Fehoko is a practice squad guy. Whether draft, FA whatever they need to build that room

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
            Beef Before Gazelles
            • May 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by QSmokey View Post

I *hope* he doesn't consider a trade with the Broncos or Raiders (or Chiefs, for that matter). Why accommodate a division rival by giving them what they want? Now, having said that, if one of them throws a "Ricky Williams"-type trade offer, I suppose that might be a different story. But I strongly doubt that will happen.
            We kinda know that teams have maybe a 50% chance of having their Top 5 QB turn out to be the franchise guy they dream of. Do the names, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Kerry Collins, Robert Griffin III, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Jamarcus Russell and **** **** rings any bells?!?

So when a division rival wants to trade up for your pick to select a QB, part of your calculation is about whether the QB in question will succeed, vs. washing out.

If you can extract a ransom of draft capital from your division rival, PLUS deliver them a QB who won't succeed, you've set your rival back 5-7 years.

So Hortiz might feel differently about making the trade depending on whether the QB target is J.Daniels, J.J.McCarthy, or M. Penix.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

We kinda know that teams have maybe a 50% chance of having their Top 5 QB turn out to be the franchise guy they dream of. Do the names, Tim Couch, Akili Smith, Kerry Collins, Robert Griffin III, Kyler Murray, Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, Jamarcus Russell and **** **** rings any bells?!?

So when a division rival wants to trade up for your pick to select a QB, part of your calculation is about whether the QB in question will succeed, vs. washing out.

If you can extract a ransom of draft capital from your division rival, PLUS deliver them a QB who won't succeed, you've set your rival back 5-7 years.

So Hortiz might feel differently about making the trade depending on whether the QB target is J.Daniels, J.J.McCarthy, or M. Penix.
              Or, what if Trader Joe pulls an AJ Smith special and shocks everyone by picking MAC, then holds him for the highest bidder, preferably in the NFC so he's well out of our division...

Comment

• UtahBolt
                Did we win?
                • Jun 2013
                • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
                • Send PM

AZ gets 5 (MH2)

Fascinating scenario and one that I think would work really well for us. One question, you have both AZ and LAC with the 105th pick? Is that pick changing hands in this scenario, what am I missing?
                I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

AZ gets 5 (MH2)

Interesting from Schultz

AZ seems to make out pretty well moving down one spot: 23, 108 and a future FRP

Chargers are fine: 11, 27, 90 and a pick swap

Comment

• Jack Burton
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Apr 2023
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I mentioned the double trade with these 3 teams several weeks ago. Some were asking why Arizona doesn't just make the pick at 4 instead of 5 and my answer is because they move up to #23 and potentially pick up another draft pick and they end up with the guy they wanted at 4.

In regard to the Chargers trading back up they might not need to because I think either both or one of Raiders/Broncos will trade into somewhere between 5-10 to pick up a QB. There are a couple of other teams that might want to move up but those are the 2 teams that I would be betting on.
                    I just do not see Harbaugh-Hortiz trading 5 to a divisional rival. Neither division team has what AZ-MIN can offer. And to go get that they would need to get even more to out bid AZ-MIN.
                    Nothing short of ownership of the team trading up would be acceptable.
                    Harbaugh would never trade McCarthy to a divisional rival. He would never take that chance of looking like a fool to start his coaching career with the Chargers.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Dec 2019
                      • Send PM

I just do not see Harbaugh-Hortiz trading 5 to a divisional rival. Neither division team has what AZ-MIN can offer. And to go get that they would need to get even more to out bid AZ-MIN.
                      Harbaugh would never trade McCarthy to a divisional rival. He would never take that chance of looking like a fool to start his coaching career with the Chargers.
                      You are probably right about not trading back with the Broncos... it would have to be a serious overpay

I think the three team trade with AZ and MN makes the most sense if MN wants QB
                      AZ gets their WR
                      Chargers get multiple picks to rebuild

In your trade above - the Chargers should get hte future FRP for moving down 6 spots - not AZ moving one spot
                      Granted AZ kind of is key as they can get MN to overpay as AZ can trade with other teams - -stupid Prater!

Comment

• eaterfan
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Oct 2020
                        • Send PM

I think Denver certainly does. If they offer 2024, 2025, and 2026 1st rounders for number 5, I'm jumping at that. Look at Denver's roster and tell me they are finishing outside the top 10 picks in either of the next two drafts. Nothing is for sure, but I really like the odds of Denver being very bad for a few more seasons. The Bolts could be trading back again next year and the year after with other QB needy teams picking up several extra top 100 picks each year.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

I think Denver certainly does. If they offer 2024, 2025, and 2026 1st rounders for number 5, I'm jumping at that. Look at Denver's roster and tell me they are finishing outside the top 10 picks in either of the next two drafts. Nothing is for sure, but I really like the odds of Denver being very bad for a few more seasons.
                          I would listen
                          Harbaugh knows McCarthy better than anybody

Comment

Working...
                          X