• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargers8491
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don't think any one person is right or wrong, as we don't know and I refer back to last week's mantra "there are many ways, not just "one" "

There is a naive assumption in TPB that his LAC offense will be his UM offense and I just like to break that paradigm as it has some locked into thinking that may not lead them the right way. NCAA and NFL are not the same, they are not close to the same, and successful offense in NCAA is more often NOT the formula for success in the NFL.

More NCAA coaches flame out and then implode than are actually successful because they try to do what they did in NCAA in the NFL. Fortunately, we don't have an "NCAA" coach - we have a coach that has done small ball USD, Pac12 ball, NFL ball, and Big10 ball - he's not a one-trick pony locked into one rigid way. I'm excited to see it unleashed!
    The reason the assumption is made about the offense is because he was running a pro-style offense while at UM. Will it be the same? I think the base will be the same but with a few wrinkles added.

1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
    3a- #66 Puni OT
    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
    4a- #105 Rice WR
    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
    5- #140 Green CB
    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Dec 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Duck of Death View Post

Definitely. Their WR room currently consists of an injury prone Michael Wilson. They have a chance to add the top rated offensive weapon in the draft. And they traded down with the Texans last year in hopes of a high pick this year - obviously didn’t work out. They’re in no position to overthink this.
      Cardinals have the most draft capital
      They have a QB who they are spending a boat load on so they need to see if this QB is the right one
      That QB needs a big play WR - -the WR room is empty

Comment

• sonorajim
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by CanadianBoltFan View Post

Easy, I haven't seen Alt ahead of Nabers on any major top 50 player rankings, and Nabers just scorched a 4.35 at his pro day. Alt is not the best non QB player in this draft after MHJ.
        CBS ranks Nabers #3 overall, Alt #8

GBN Nabers 2, Alt 7

Samples.
        If we want OT over talent, Alt and Fashanu seem to be tossups.

MHJ has been a fairly unanimous #1.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Dec 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

CBS ranks Nabers #3 overall, Alt #8

GBN Nabers 2, Alt 7

Samples.
          If we want OT over talent, Alt and Fashanu seem to be tossups.

MHJ has been a fairly unanimous #1.
          Dane Bugler from The Athletic had his top three as Caleb, Marvin and Nabers.

Some have Nabers higher than Marvin

If the Chargers stay at 5 - I think the pick is WR even though Harbaugh has talked about Oline

Comment

• UtahBolt
            Did we win?
            • Jun 2013
            • I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Dane Bugler from The Athletic had his top three as Caleb, Marvin and Nabers.

Some have Nabers higher than Marvin

If the Chargers stay at 5 - I think the pick is WR even though Harbaugh has talked about Oline
            I just can't see drafting what is potentially a RT at # 5. Makes sense on the rookie contract but that will be a lot of money with the second contract wrapped up in the two tackles (after Slater is extended next year).

And...who's to say that Alt or Slater will even agree to play RT? That is quite the pay cut in the long run.
            I'll ride the wave...where it takes me.

Comment

• Pat_Swindle
              WustinSlurbert
              • Apr 2022
              • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
              Horitz planning for anything lol.
              Haha, you make Hortiz's name sound like a spicy cracker.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

Yeah impressive.

I posted it over in the @ #5 thread a minute ago.

Come to think of it, Malik might be gone @ #5 lol.

Joe Hortiz was there in Baton Rouge, eaterfan.
                Sheesh...in the middle of retooling as a trencher, and Nabors mic drops his proday...

Doesnt matter, Ill like whoever we pick...but you know they gotta love the RTs...and yet cant ignore that WR talent at the top, and oh yea, our wr room is thin...wouldnt want to be making that choice...
                Adopted Bolt: Kimani Vidal RB

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                  Day Tripper
                  • May 2019
                  • North of the Lagoon
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

The reason the assumption is made about the offense is because he was running a pro-style offense while at UM. Will it be the same? I think the base will be the same but with a few wrinkles added.
                  That is the group think I challenge. I don't think NFL and College offenses are the same. Pro-style simply means he wasn't running a spread, or run-n-gun, or one of the other styles. Thats good as far as those others do not work in the NFL. If it means power rush blocking scheme, play action mixed with shotgun for QB, two TE sets, some designed rollouts at times - sure.

The example I selected was the assertion that since he didn't have a superstar WR at UM, he doesn't want or value a superstar WR. Thats false logic. We don't know that. As I noted, he also didn't have a superstar OL player or TE, did he not value those positions too?

Harbo has never said he doesn't want elite WRs, to pick just one position. He very well may not take a WR at #5, he has an entire roster to fill. Or he may. I don't see data to tell me this today.

Hortiz was at LSU yesterday, and it wasnt to watch Jayden. They have 2 stellar Rd1 WR prospects, a mid-round DT prospect, and go down from there.
                  “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Lone Bolt View Post

Sheesh...in the middle of retooling as a trencher, and Nabors mic drops his proday...

Doesnt matter, Ill like whoever we pick...but you know they gotta love the RTs...and yet cant ignore that WR talent at the top, and oh yea, our wr room is thin...wouldnt want to be making that choice...
                    We all know Jimbo's track record and publicly stated proclivities.

However Joe Hortiz is his own man, and he saw Nabers in person today.

On April 25 at 540 pm, over the loudspeakers at SoFi: "...Security to the Chargers Draft Room."

Battle Royal.
                    On top of the official Charger Draft Table.
                    We do not play modern football.

Comment

• gzubeck
                      Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Tucson, AZ
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

That is the group think I challenge. I don't think NFL and College offenses are the same. Pro-style simply means he wasn't running a spread, or run-n-gun, or one of the other styles. Thats good as far as those others do not work in the NFL. If it means power rush blocking scheme, play action mixed with shotgun for QB, two TE sets, some designed rollouts at times - sure.

The example I selected was the assertion that since he didn't have a superstar WR at UM, he doesn't want or value a superstar WR. Thats false logic. We don't know that. As I noted, he also didn't have a superstar OL player or TE, did he not value those positions too?

Harbo has never said he doesn't want elite WRs, to pick just one position. He very well may not take a WR at #5, he has an entire roster to fill. Or he may. I don't see data to tell me this today.

Hortiz was at LSU yesterday, and it wasnt to watch Jayden. They have 2 stellar Rd1 WR prospects, a mid-round DT prospect, and go down from there.
                      This...
                      Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Topcat
                        AKA "Pollcat"
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Bolt4Knob View Post

Cardinals have the most draft capital
                        They have a QB who they are spending a boat load on so they need to see if this QB is the right one
                        That QB needs a big play WR - -the WR room is empty
                        So, makes sense the Cards stay put at #4 and pick MHJ...for some reason, Jeremiah has them trading down to #11 and picking Verse...u r right though...Cards have a TON of draft picks:

image.png

Comment

• Topcat
                          AKA "Pollcat"
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by UtahBolt View Post

I just can't see drafting what is potentially a RT at # 5. Makes sense on the rookie contract but that will be a lot of money with the second contract wrapped up in the two tackles (after Slater is extended next year).

And...who's to say that Alt or Slater will even agree to play RT? That is quite the pay cut in the long run.
                          Do u think they might pull a Moaning Mel?

Comment

Working...
                          X