• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ghost of Quacksaw
    Beef Before Gazelles
    • May 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Or, what if Trader Joe pulls an AJ Smith special and shocks everyone by picking MAC, then holds him for the highest bidder, preferably in the NFC so he's well out of our division...
    What would you envision Hortiz getting in return that would help the team now?!? It would make no sense to do this for future draft capital and/or (soon to be) expensive vets. They have to do something about *now*.

He would only do this, if he already had a deal in place with a particular team.

Comment

• Jack Burton
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2023
      • Send PM

Matt Money Smith pointed out today on the Chargers Podcast Network that after coaching Stanford for 4 years, then taking the SF job, Harbaugh never drafted a single player from Stanford…

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

I really hope the Chargers get Green or Tampa. They are both really talented and the physicality would be perfect with Minter. I like Melton and Hart too..
        Both Green and Tampa are projected to go on Day 2...so we could see one of them go @#69...

Comment

• Topcat
          AKA "Pollcat"
          • Jan 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post
          Matt Money Smith pointed out today on the Chargers Podcast Network that after coaching Stanford for 4 years, then taking the SF job, Harbaugh never drafted a single player from Stanford…
          Well, that's interesting...at least it's an indication he's not biased...looks like Dmac's theory could be correct...

Comment

• Chargers8491
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Apr 2022
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

is that the Green who shut down nabors?...if so, must be a good one!
            Yes.
            1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
            2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
            2b- #37 Jenkins DT
            3a- #66 Puni OT
            3b- #69 Sainristill CB
            4a- #105 Rice WR
            4b- #110 Lloyd RB
            5- #140 Green CB
            6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
              Grammar Police
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

I dislike the pigeon holing of Nabers as a slot receiver, he is 6' and 200#s he can play all the WR positions if we sign him. In Harbaugh's system we use two TEs more than a slot WR and knowing this place if we draft him y'all will melt down that he can't play outside. Rubbish! Plus in prior years we have had all our receivers play inside and outside. Do y'all think Keenan is a slot WR? We played him in the slot over 30% of his snaps...
              Go Rivers!

Comment

• MusicMakerInMe
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2020
                • Send PM

I'd be thrilled with Fautanu with a late first/early 2nd.

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Dec 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Well, that's interesting...at least it's an indication he's not biased...looks like Dmac's theory could be correct...
                  I am sure he would be open to taking a UM player if the talent fits the draft slot when the Chargers draft. Just probably not tied to UM players - dude wants to win.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                    Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                    • Feb 2019
                    • McLean Illinois
                    • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by MusicMakerInMe View Post

I'd be thrilled with Fautanu with a late first/early 2nd.
                    It would have to be in the first...prob after a trade back. He could go top 20 easy.
                    The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by sonorajim View Post

The majority of SB winners have an "elite playmaker" beyond QB in the offensive "skill" positions. WR, TE, RB or a combination thereof.
                      Ideally we want to be "very good" or better at all 11. Plus depth. IMO we're close.
                      Obviously, I like our OL better than most but would take a RT prospect to develop in the 100's. Make sure Pip is giving his best effort in training and practice.
                      Currently Herbert is the only potentially "elite" "skill" player on O. I'd like to see him with a buddy. Keenan and Mike (arguably "elite") helped Herbert in the past. Not this year.
                      I got into a discussion with my brother the other day about this same topic. So I started doing a little research.
                      I found that 5 out of the last 11 SB winners had 210 yards passing or less in their wins. And in another SB game (Seahawks vs Patriots) the Seahawks would have been victorious had they simply handed the ball to Marshawn Lynch... rather than throw an interception @the goal line.

In fact, most of those SB's were decided by winning the turnover battle. Most of the SB winners had Top-10 defenses (often Top-5).

In the end, we have to defeat KC. I think having a balanced offense (with effective running game) and a Top-10 defense gives us a much better chance than trying to duplicate KC's offense... and try to outscore them. You have to win the turnover game against KC (both Raiders and Broncos did this last year v the Chiefs). Without a better defense, we will never beat the Chiefs. To beat the Chiefs... limit their offense and have the ball in your possession at the end of the game. That means running the ball @the end of games... keeping KC's offense on the bench @the end.

Besides, you have to account for Harbaugh/Roman/Minter philosophies. These guys don't believe that "elite playmakers" make the world go around. They believe in balanced, smash-mouth offenses... paired with strong defenses. When people were pining for Harbaugh as HC... they should have known how Harbaugh wins @each level.

"Run the ball and protect the QB". That's the philosophy now. In a recent interview, Harbaugh said that coaching is important... but not as important as having the right players. Having good players, and depth, will be important.

So the real question is... do we have the right players @positions that help us implement Harbaugh/Roman/Minter's philosophies...?
                      I don't think we do. The positions that are woefully weak are @RT, LB, DT, and CB (in that order).

Comment

• Chargers8491
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Apr 2022
                        • Send PM

There's chatter the Raiders are being really aggressive in trying to move up to #2 or #3 to take Daniels. I hope the Raiders make that trade and waste their draft picks moving up to take Daniels. Daniel's frame scares me. I'm not sure how he is going to hold up at the pro level.
                        1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                        2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                        2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                        3a- #66 Puni OT
                        3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                        4a- #105 Rice WR
                        4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                        5- #140 Green CB
                        6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Javia
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Dec 2023
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Stinky Wizzleteats+ View Post
                          I dislike the pigeon holing of Nabers as a slot receiver, he is 6' and 200#s he can play all the WR positions if we sign him. In Harbaugh's system we use two TEs more than a slot WR and knowing this place if we draft him y'all will melt down that he can't play outside. Rubbish! Plus in prior years we have had all our receivers play inside and outside. Do y'all think Keenan is a slot WR? We played him in the slot over 30% of his snaps...
                          Nabers has almost exactly the same height, weight, speed and skill-set as Ja'marr Chase. Chase plays every WR position, including X, regularly. X receivers only have to be able to consistently beat a jam at the LOS. Most X receivers do this with size, but others can do it with quickness, speed and/or strength, like Nabers.

Comment

Working...
                          X