• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

I could be wrong and won't know for sure until we actually see the team at full strength, but I think the offense will be mostly in 2 TE sets. If they are running one TE then they might use a swing tackle or FB/HB. I think we will see predominately 2 WRs with one TE likely being the Y receiver. That's my intial thought and could be wrong. Won't know until we see the offense in action.
    If we’re in two TE sets most of the time, we definitely need an over the top X WR to pull defenders out of the box. Won’t work otherwise.

Again, welcome to the Naberhood! 😎

Comment

• richpjr
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Nashville
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

If we’re in two TE sets most of the time, we definitely need an over the top X WR to pull defenders out of the box. Won’t work otherwise.

If we are going to run a 2 TE set a lot, we need to upgrade the TE corp. We have a decent blocker, a couple of injury prone guys and a guy who should not even be on the roster in Smart.

Comment

• NoMoreChillies
        Outback Goon
        • Sep 2018
        • Australia
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

OK, i have no idea what happened there and no idea how they score rugby and dont know why that was considered a good play, ...im clueless there. But no rugby players has ever made it in the NFL as far as i know.

And agree....thy probably laugh at the pads and uniform. But again, none of them make it in our game either.
        There was a guy from Rubgy League names Jared Hayne who made 49ers roster when he flashed in pre-season kick returns. But he failed to "make" it big in NFL.

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
          Beef Before Gazelles
          • May 2021
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

If we are going to run a 2 TE set a lot, we need to upgrade the TE corp. We have a decent blocker, a couple of injury prone guys and a guy who should not even be on the roster in Smart.
          If he *shouldn't* be on the roster, I'm pretty confident that he WON'T be. And he WON'T be!

If, in Round 3 or 4, a TE they like is a value pick (Ben Sinnott?) that's a legit option for upgrading.

Comment

• Boltdiehard
            The Precious
            • May 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

I see what you did there. I’ve pretty much self banned on draft picks, favs or projections after I wanted the LB Simmons over Herbert. Free agency is different and we almost never get who I want anyways and it’s probably been since guys like McCardell and Roman Oben since I’ve hit on anything there.

Comment

• 21&500
              Bolt Spit-Baller
              • Sep 2018
              • A Whale's Vajayjay
              • CMB refugee
              • Send PM

For all the reasons Nabers at 5 make sense, Roman Wilson at 37 makes more sense to me.
              There will be some serious value at WR at 37 depending on "flavor" of WR gets picked towards the end of the 1st.

RW is my flavor at 37. Great vertical threat, hands and route runner.
              G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Parcells
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I don't know which to take, i'm not lobbying for any guy, both are great and I'm not against trading down either.

But just looking at our WR room - isn't it filled with X-type but no Y-type quick slot guys? Why is a true X the best fit for LAC? I've seen that posted several times, wondering what people mean by that.

Active Roster
                JP - X
                Q - X
                Davis - not sure what he's supposed to be?

oh shoot - thats it on the current roster lol

Reserve/future list
                Fehoko - X

thats it - per Chargers website roster right now.
                QJ got a shot to play the X, and was awful. I’m on the record firmly in the camp that he was a waste of a pick and I’ve thought that since they took him. But he was abysmal playing the X. The shot to salvage him is with quick slants, screens, jet sweeps, and other stuff. He does not have the hands, the route running, or intelligence to win as an X.

We don’t currently have an X on this team.

Comment

• WindsorUK
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Windsor, U.K.
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltdiehard View Post

I see what you did there. I’ve pretty much self banned on draft picks, favs or projections after I wanted the LB Simmons over Herbert. Free agency is different and we almost never get who I want anyways and it’s probably been since guys like McCardell and Roman Oben since I’ve hit on anything there.
                  McCardell and Oben both came via trade, not FA.

Comment

• Boltnut
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

QJ got a shot to play the X, and was awful. I’m on the record firmly in the camp that he was a waste of a pick and I’ve thought that since they took him. But he was abysmal playing the X. The shot to salvage him is with quick slants, screens, jet sweeps, and other stuff. He does not have the hands, the route running, or intelligence to win as an X.

We don’t currently have an X on this team.
                    The X receiver is simply a wideout on the LOS. There will be two of them this year... as we mostly go 12-personnel with Greg Roman's offense. The X receivers will be QJ and JP. Either could play in the slot (Y) when the Chargers go 3-wide receiver sets. QJ will be used on quick slants and drags plenty. But his real value will be long shots after play-action fakes. This is the way Roman/Harbaugh like to go. These will be the opportunities for Herbie to use his strong arm. To make any of this possible, the Chargers will have to run the ball first. Harbaugh and Roman have both stated that to help Herbie... you actually have to be a threat to run the ball. Indeed, Herbie's best year came when the Chargers were actually good at running the ball (2021) when they averaged 4.3 ypc.

The slot (Y) receiver will actually be the receiving TE (Hurst). On occasion, I expect to see DD in the slot. He'll be the guy getting bubble screens and jett sweeps.

IMO, Harbaugh/Roman will know how to use QJ to his abilities... where Moore had him doing things he wasn't accustomed to. And for those that forgot that Joshua Palmer had 72 receptions in Keenan's absence...
                    video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                      Charger Fan since 1978
                      • Sep 2021
                      • Send PM

I'm still thinking that if they stick and pick at 5 it's going to be one of the Edge players, my guys is Verse but would be very happy with Turner as well, Latu is my third pick only because of the neck issues...I would still be very happy with Bowers at #5 too...Sadly, it's looking less and less likely that they'll trade down as several teams are supposedly jockeying for picks in the two picks prior to the #5 position, we'll see...lot's of smoke flying around right now...but even if they trade down I still think that the first pick might be an Edge player, whether that's pick #6 or whatever it ends up being...
                      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Boltdiehard
                        The Precious
                        • May 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by WindsorUK View Post

McCardell and Oben both came via trade, not FA.
                        I meant to edit to free agency/trade but I fell asleep. I just remember pining hard for KMac and I know there are others I just don’t remember. This was also around the time when we last had a real GM IMO.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

The X receiver is simply a wideout on the LOS. There will be two of them this year... as we mostly go 12-personnel with Greg Roman's offense. The X receivers will be QJ and JP. Either could play in the slot (Y) when the Chargers go 3-wide receiver sets. QJ will be used on quick slants and drags plenty. But his real value will be long shots after play-action fakes. This is the way Roman/Harbaugh like to go. These will be the opportunities for Herbie to use his strong arm. To make any of this possible, the Chargers will have to run the ball first. Harbaugh and Roman have both stated that to help Herbie... you actually have to be a threat to run the ball. Indeed, Herbie's best year came when the Chargers were actually good at running the ball (2021) when they averaged 4.3 ypc.

The slot (Y) receiver will actually be the receiving TE (Hurst). On occasion, I expect to see DD in the slot. He'll be the guy getting bubble screens and jett sweeps.

IMO, Harbaugh/Roman will know how to use QJ to his abilities... where Moore had him doing things he wasn't accustomed to. And for those that forgot that Joshua Palmer had 72 receptions in Keenan's absence...
                          video, sharing, camera phone, video phone, free, upload
                          QJ and JP could be X and Z WRs depending on where they line them up in 2 WRs sets. In 2 WRs set the TE would be the Y WR. If they go with 3 WRs which I am sure they will have some formations with 3 WRs. They will have an X and Z WR on the outsides with and the 3rd WR will be F (slot) WR and still have the TE as Y receiver. If the RB is in and not in pass pro he would be the H receiver. Not sure what the letter designation will be for the Chargers as teams sometimes change them but that is the basic designation. Regardless, the Chargers still need a WR or 2 via the draft or FAcy.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X