• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DerwinBosa
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Feb 2022
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Ghost of Quacksaw View Post

Does this not debunk Bowers' reputation as a "good blocker"? He's being described here as "not a liability as a blocker", which isn't the same as being a "good blocker". Not even close.
    People who want us to draft Brock Bowers were calling him a great blocker once we started talking about the draft. Then it got downgraded to good. Let's just say he's OK, but it's definitely an area he needs to improve.

Personally I wouldn't pick him at #5 or #11, but that's just me. Maybe Harbaugh and Hortiz see it differently.

Comment

• powderblueboy
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jul 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post

The idea that Bowers can't or is a liability is silly at best. Dude either sets the edge, pancakes his guy, or completely runs the guy out of the play. Here are some of his blocks and there are many more.

Brock Bowers BLOCKING Highlights | Brock Bowers 2024 NFL Draft Highlights & Film (youtube.com)
      Funny, I saw Dallas Turner shuck him like he was a sack of potatoes - with very little effort.

At 233 pounds, that's not a lot of sand in the pants;
      at 243 pounds, he has a fighting chance,
      but then, how much speed does he lose moving up?

When will he finally do a weigh in and a 40 time?

Comment

• Boltjolt
        Dont let the PBs fool ya
        • Jun 2013
        • Henderson, NV
        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

People who want us to draft Brock Bowers were calling him a great blocker once we started talking about the draft. Then it got downgraded to good. Let's just say he's OK, but it's definitely an area he needs to improve.

Personally I wouldn't pick him at #5 or #11, but that's just me. Maybe Harbaugh and Hortiz see it differently.
        I don't think I ever called him a great blocker. Pretty sure I've always said he was a good blocker.

He is a better blocker than Kincaid who I said was adequate, and had we drafted him he would be TE1 this year. Imo Bowers is better than Kincaid overall.
        Bowers will help in the blocking game along with his other excellent skills.

We'll see how JH and JH see things. . We gonna get someone good. TT isn't drafting.

Comment

• Boltjolt
          Dont let the PBs fool ya
          • Jun 2013
          • Henderson, NV
          • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

Funny, I saw Dallas Turner shuck him like he was a sack of potatoes - with very little effort.

At 233 pounds, that's not a lot of sand in the pants;
          at 243 pounds, he has a fighting chance,
          but then, how much speed does he lose moving up?

When will he finally do a weigh in and a 40 time?
          He did a weigh in. How else did you get 243? Lol. Combine he weighed in and measured. Has a workout out coming in April, not sure the date.

MHJ didn't run, you concerned about his time? And if not, why? We may draft him. Dalton Kincaid didn't run last year either.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
            Day Tripper
            • May 2019
            • North of the Lagoon
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post
            People keep bringing up KC having won two super bowls without a top WR. First, their defense is now elite. Second, their offense struggled plenty without a legit WR.
            Exactly what I’ve said. Their defense covered up the fact their offense degraded significantly with less good receivers. D #2, O #16 and folks think their offense was the key to their winning. SMH.
            “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
              Day Tripper
              • May 2019
              • North of the Lagoon
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

He is #7 on NFL Draft Scout
              #5 on the Huddle Report
              Draftbuzz #5
              PFF #3

And Wu-Dai.......#5
              You didnt say that they are prestigious

Comment

• Ghost of Quacksaw
                Beef Before Gazelles
                • May 2021
                • Send PM

I don't think I ever called him a great blocker. Pretty sure I've always said he was a good blocker.

He is a better blocker than Kincaid who I said was adequate, and had we drafted him he would be TE1 this year. Imo Bowers is better than Kincaid overall.
                Bowers will help in the blocking game along with his other excellent skills.

We'll see how JH and JH see things. . We gonna get someone good. TT isn't drafting.
                I recall the general consensus about Kinkaid a year ago was that he was a 'meh' blocker, so not a TE who'd be much of an asset in the run game. 'Liability' as a blocker might have been too strong a term, but not far from accurate.

The early word in Bowers discussions this year was that he was good blocker. (Fair enough). That eventually got elevated into talk about how he was a 'great' or 'dominant' blocker, which, frankly, I don't see.

In terms of his utility to the Chargers, there are only two reasons I'd have misgivings about taking him at #5:

(1) The future contract complications that come with drafting a TE that high.

(2) Bowers could most likely be had by the Bolts AFTER a trade down of a few spots. This team could absolutely use the extra draft capital they'd get from this kind of move, and if this maneuver gets you the exact same player anyway... DO IT!!! Duh!

If you could buy your car for $40,000, instead of $65,000, wouldn't you do that?!? It's prudent cap management.

I'll say one thing-- Hortiz isn't tipping his hand. Bowers may or may not be at or toward the top of his "get" list. But if he is? It makes complete sense to think that Hortiz has a plan to get him at a spot OTHER than #5.

Comment

• Charge!
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Aug 2019
                  • Send PM

Interesting video.... smart guy!...on value of a great TE's.....

FOX Sports’ lead college football analyst Joel Klatt ranks his Top 5 Pass Catchers (Wide Receivers & Tight Ends) in the 2024 NFL Draft. Klatt reveals how he ...

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                    Day Tripper
                    • May 2019
                    • North of the Lagoon
                    • Send PM

My view on this Stay at 5 BPA debater. Trench is priority. But Elite is priority. Need also is a priority if it fits either Trench or Elite also. So now we turn to our good friend, mathematics.

I look at the best 2 WRs - MH2 and Nabers imo. They are better than any receivers taken last year, or year before, or for several prior years. They are elite. BPA 1 & 2 not playing QB imo. elite = check!

Then I look at Alt. I’m not a great OT scout and I havent watched every snap but I have watched more than a couple videos of him. He’s good, as in ok he’s good. But he’s not really elite. he gets shoved into the QB in pass pro. he’s ok at rush blocking but he’s not an elite rush blocker, witness how many here claim Fuaga is a better rush blocker. He’s not better than top OTs taken just last year, nor in a lot of years. He is not an elite OT, he’s simply the best of the 2024 class in a year where there is no true elite OT but there are several good OTs. If I had no LT, he’d be my choice, as Need+Trench > Elite.

But I don’t need LT. I need RT and RT is not a #5 value. I do desperately need an elite WR, I just lost my best 2 WRs.

So the math is simple: Elite+Need > Trench. Sorry, Alt, you’re out this time.

Comment

• 21&500
                      Bolt Spit-Baller
                      • Sep 2018
                      • A Whale's Vajayjay
                      • CMB refugee
                      • Send PM

I think we all need to use our signatures to declare our "guy @ 5" assuming we had to stay @5 and 4 QBs went 1-4.

Team Bowers, what you at?!?
                      P1. Block Destruction - Ogbonnia
                      P2. Shocking Effort - Eboigbe
                      P3. Ball Disruption - Ford
                      P4. Obnoxious Communication - Henley

Comment

• Maniaque 6
                        French Speaking Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Québec city
                        • Send PM

Picking at 5th is a plan B
                        Plan A is to trade back and get something like 11th and 23th.
                        Could be Bowers and JPJ.

Comment

• powderblueboy
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jul 2017
                          • Send PM

He did a weigh in. How else did you get 243? Lol. Combine he weighed in and measured. Has a workout out coming in April, not sure the date.

MHJ didn't run, you concerned about his time? And if not, why? We may draft him. Dalton Kincaid didn't run last year either.
                          Not concerned at all with Harrison Jr.'s speed .... unless he plans on gaining 10 more pounds, his game tape speed is sufficient.

Brock Bowers looks plenty fast on tape, but that seems to be in the low 230s.
                          He'll put up zero resistance to defensive ends at that weight and he'll struggle against many NFL linebackers;
                          so forget about him being an inline blocker ... which reduces his swiss army knife appeal.

Okay, he'll then be a split end .... and you can still pull him as a lead blocker on running plays, or to seal someone off by getting in their way.
                          But in my mind, that would put an end to the idea that he's going to be a good/solid NFL blocking tight end.

If he runs a 4.50 at 243 pounds, that would be something ... you can expand his role in the offense.
                          It's not asking too much .... the Chargers want to run the football effectively under Harbaugh.

Comment

Working...
                          X