• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chargers8491
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Apr 2022
    • Send PM

The teams place the value of the position based on scheme not the fans. Chiefs place more value on TEs vs WRs and knowing what Harbaugh has done in the past the TE will have more value than a #1 WR. In Harbaugh's system you don't need a $30m #1 WR. The just need a WR that plays within the scheme.
    1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
    2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
    2b- #37 Jenkins DT
    3a- #66 Puni OT
    3b- #69 Sainristill CB
    4a- #105 Rice WR
    4b- #110 Lloyd RB
    5- #140 Green CB
    6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

• Boltjolt
      Dont let the PBs fool ya
      • Jun 2013
      • Henderson, NV
      • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

Andy Reid does WR by committee. Belichick basically did that too but always had a guy as Reid does with Kelce. The guy you could count on for money plays. Tyreek is a stud but Andy doesn't require that. It's a smart approach especially as WR salaries escalate. And for all Andy's success in Philly he did t get past the nfccg until they added TO.

Right now we have 2 WRs. 1 is a fairly solid guy and the other can't be counted on. We need to add 2-3 WRs thru a combo of draft and FA. We also need a reliable TE.
      Update:

Its March 25th now.

A month away from the Draft and 5 months away for the end of Preseason with cuts or trades afterwards.
      I am not worried and not sure why anybody else is.

Comment

• chargeroo
        Fan since 1961
        • Jan 2019
        • Oregon
        • Retired Manager/Pastor
        • Send PM

If they pick a WR, I like Odunze a lot. I've seen quite a bit of him and I think he will be a consistent WR in the NFL. But, I prefer Bowers over the WR's. I just think he's a better fit. Look how Mahomes leans on Kelce, wouldn't you love it if Herbert had a TE to play catch with?
        THE YEAR OF THE FLIP!

Comment

• Parcells
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by eaterfan View Post

It's a lot harder to win from the outside than it is in the middle. You don't have the sideline to restrict your movements. The number of guys who can consistently win on the outside is much smaller than the guys who can win on the inside.

Can Bowers stretch the field like the receivers can? Can Bowers take defenders out of the box like the receivers can? Can he widen the field to open up running lanes like the WRs can? Can he take the top off a defense like the WRs?

Additionally, the cost of replacement... You can sign a premium TE in FA for $15 million. And by that I mean Kelce, Andrews, Kittle type guys. That's all they make.

To get one of the top 3 WRs you have to pay $25 million +.

You can sign a TE, draft a WR, and have $20 million to sign better OL, RB, DT or whatever compared to drafting a TE and signing a WR of equal quality.
          This is a major key. And a top 3 WR would make north of $30 million AAV in free agency. We’ve yet to see a tight end come close to $20 million AAV. So while I love Bowers as a player, I like him way more after a trade down both because of the extra picks and because of the cheaper contract.

As I said before, the second most valuable commodity in the NFL is a stud WR on a rookie contract.

Looking at it another way, Jerry Jeudy just signed a three year, $58 million deal. That contract would make someone the highest paid TE in the NFL.

Comment

• Riverwalk
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Nov 2021
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

This is a major key. And a top 3 WR would make north of $30 million AAV in free agency. We’ve yet to see a tight end come close to $20 million AAV. So while I love Bowers as a player, I like him way more after a trade down both because of the extra picks and because of the cheaper contract.

As I said before, the second most valuable commodity in the NFL is a stud WR on a rookie contract.

Looking at it another way, Jerry Jeudy just signed a three year, $58 million deal. That contract would make someone the highest paid TE in the NFL.
            I like your analysis. Salaries clearly show franchise WR’s are more valuable than franchise TE’s.

While I like Bowers, the smarter pick is a franchise WR with the 5th pick. Harrison or Nabor’s should be the pick over Bowers.

Comment

• Parcells
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Chargers8491 View Post
              The teams place the value of the position based on scheme not the fans. Chiefs place more value on TEs vs WRs and knowing what Harbaugh has done in the past the TE will have more value than a #1 WR. In Harbaugh's system you don't need a $30m #1 WR. The just need a WR that plays within the scheme.
              If it’s all a matter of scheme, couldn’t we say that Harbaugh has won repeatedly and the only time he ever had an elite QB was Andrew Luck. Even JJ McCarthy is moving up draft boards in part because people are saying he could do more than he was asked to do. So by that rationale, we also don’t need a franchise QB with a cannon for an arm. Thusly, we should trade away Herbert and get a massive draft pick haul.

Giving a stud QB a stud WR can’t be underestimated. The Bengals got Chase and went to the Super Bowl in year one and AFC Championship in year 2. We want to pound the ball and beat teams up? Facing lighter boxes translates to more yards per carry, more first downs, longer drives, and more beat up defenses. Go back to the Cowboys in the 90s. Yeah they had a great line and Emmitt, but they also had Irvin to keep defenses honest.

Look at what Tyreek has done for Tua, who isn’t a great QB.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                Dont let the PBs fool ya
                • Jun 2013
                • Henderson, NV
                • Send PM

TJ Housyurmama is on with Cowherd in studio and he had very high praise for Rome Odunzie.

Said he is an excellent ball tracker and has very good hands and makes the tough catches look easy. Is a good size guy standing next to him and he can move (ran a smooth 4.45). But better than that, he said he was a great individual. Quality person and a very team guy. (Harbaughs type)

Said good things about MHJ and as they were talking about his non-drills, and his Dad has taught him very well...TJ said it won't hurt him passing on the drills but curiously said IF he doesn't make it, they will point to his non participation in workouts and just see, I told you ...which is BS,.... but it was curious he said IF he don't make it. Maybe it was just an example.

Said good things about Nabahs too. He said Nabahs don't usually talk much and doing interviews is an uncomfortable thing. Odd since he is so animated in the field. High praise for his play as well.

Also said McCarthy he really likes. Has a great arm....not good, great. And is a studious guy. Was on the plane flight with him to the combine and said the whole time JJ was going over plays and coverage for whatever reason but got some talk in with him.

Heard Pierce say from the HC meetings, " quite honestly he should be top 3".(JJ)

Oh man...gonna be crazy for us in what we do. Getting a stud or getting a load of picks.

Comment

• Boltjolt
                  Dont let the PBs fool ya
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Henderson, NV
                  • Send PM

Also want to add. ..watching first take? Whatever it is....Nick Wright is hard to listen to. Talks over the other two, has these lame theories....moron type guy....and found out he is a Chiefs fan

He is afraid we will trade down and get all these picks and get good fast.

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Feb 2022
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post
                    Also want to add. ..watching first take? Whatever it is....Nick Wright is hard to listen to. Talks over the other two, has these lame theories....moron type guy....and found out he is a Chiefs fan

He is afraid we will trade down and get all these picks and get food fast.
                    He is the worst.

Comment

• jamrock
                      lawyers, guns and money
                      • Sep 2017
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltjolt View Post

Update:

Its March 25th now.

A month away from the Draft and 5 months away for the end of Preseason with cuts or trades afterwards.
                      I am not worried and not sure why anybody else is.
                      These are just facts as of today. For all to see including Mr. Joe Hortiz and Mr. Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• SK21209
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • May 2020
                        • San Diego
                        • Send PM

"Harbaugh's scheme doesn't need a #1 receiver" is quite an overstatement IMO. Harbaugh went to SF in 2011, two years prior they had taken Crabtree, one of the more decorated college WRs ever, 10th overall in 2009. When they went to the Super Bowl in 2012 Crabtree had 85 catches for 1105 yards. In 2013 Crabtree was hurt and missed a lot of time, but they had traded for Anquan Boldin in the offseason and he finished with 85 catches for 1179 yards. They clearly cared about receiver; after they lost to the Giants in the 2011 NFC Championship they traded for Moss in the 2012 offseason and then traded for Boldin in 2013 when that didn't work out.

All that to say, I don't think its accurate to suggest that Harbaugh doesn't care about having great receivers based on his previous time in the NFL. Now Michigan has been very run heavy during his tenure, but I think that has more to do with building an identity to beat Ohio State specifically and the fact that Michigan hasn't had great QBs. Hortiz and Greg Roman also just got here from Baltimore, where they saw first hand that you can't just plug in receivers and run these medieval, run-heavy offenses and win at the highest level in the NFL.

Comment

• Chargers8491
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Apr 2022
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Parcells View Post

If it’s all a matter of scheme, couldn’t we say that Harbaugh has won repeatedly and the only time he ever had an elite QB was Andrew Luck. Even JJ McCarthy is moving up draft boards in part because people are saying he could do more than he was asked to do. So by that rationale, we also don’t need a franchise QB with a cannon for an arm. Thusly, we should trade away Herbert and get a massive draft pick haul.

Giving a stud QB a stud WR can’t be underestimated. The Bengals got Chase and went to the Super Bowl in year one and AFC Championship in year 2. We want to pound the ball and beat teams up? Facing lighter boxes translates to more yards per carry, more first downs, longer drives, and more beat up defenses. Go back to the Cowboys in the 90s. Yeah they had a great line and Emmitt, but they also had Irvin to keep defenses honest.

Look at what Tyreek has done for Tua, who isn’t a great QB.
                          Yeah, they could trade Herbert but there is no way they are going to do it. First, no team is going to give up what it would take to make the trade, and 2) If a team want to mortgage their whole draft to move up to get Herbert there is no way the Chargers are going to eat the $120+M in dead space that would be left.
                          1- #11 Bowers TE 7a- #225 Boyd DT
                          2a- #35 Cooper LB 7b- #253 Vidal RB
                          2b- #37 Jenkins DT
                          3a- #66 Puni OT
                          3b- #69 Sainristill CB
                          4a- #105 Rice WR
                          4b- #110 Lloyd RB
                          5- #140 Green CB
                          6- #181 Nourzad C/OG

Comment

Working...
                          X