• Show
Clear All
  • gzubeck
    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
    • Jan 2019
    • Tucson, AZ
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

Yeah. It’s interesting to watch another base just go ballistic a week before the draft.
    Rumor brought to you by Mike Florio a couple of days ago. It seems the Kirk Cousins thing is gaining some kind of momentum. Possible compensation might be a swap of first rounders.

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• dmac_bolt
      Day Tripper
      • May 2019
      • North of the Lagoon
      • Send PM

Originally posted by RockyMtnBoltFan View Post

Yes, but still with elite talent at QB, TE a very good oline and rb and one of the best o-coordinators ever. I just think if you look at the Chargers after moving on from so much key offensive talent, they really need an infusion of young play-making offensive skill players.

I agree with the inside out philosophy and that is foundational for sustained success. So YES need to build the trenches. I won’t be pissed if they trade back almost regardless of the picks because there are a lot of holes and a need to bring in the right players to execute the Harbaugh philosophy. I just think there is a major deficiency of offensive playmakers and I think the WR’s have a pro-bowl floor with All-Pro ceiling. Safe, elite, position of need, makes sense from a roster construct value perspective. Even Bowers, while great and a player that I’d be happy to have has a lower floor and doesn’t make sense from a financial roster build standpoint.
      I do not oppose picking any of the 4 elite weapons oft discussed in the top of draft. WR has the obvious positive cap value bonus that I’ve posted several times. If I were picking at 5, I probably take MH2 or Nabers due to this and my same estimate as you that they are probably pro bowl to all pro projections. Alt has the value but at a redundant LT position - RT isn’t that same value but it is value. If they take him, I get what they are doing and I’m fine with it. I doubt it though, not sure why other than Slater. Bowers doesn’t have that same cap value bonus but he is unique in a way that could cause let them ignore this. I’m delighted if they take him too.

I also am fine trading down to an 11/23 type exchange where maybe there is still a Bowers/Odunze but quite possibly not - and if not there is a Murphy/Newton/Fuaga/Verse that is a different inside-out build strategy that can be very effective in a different way.

I was only commenting on the question of is it mandatory to have a top WR to win. KC says no. I’d still like one though ,and i want want that creates quick separation from DBs for Herbert. To me that narrows it to MH2 and Nabers. Odunze is a beast and all, don’t ,mind picking him at all, just my criteria favors the other two.

“Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• Boltnut
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Feb 2019
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Glaring as opposed to what? not glaring as much? the roster is absolute dogshit thanks to previous management, no depth pretty much anywhere, you have clear long term starter type guys at two positions on the entire team, QB and LT, and you could argue that Tuli is in the process of putting himself in that mix, but outside of that what do you have?

Why isn't anyone talking about the fact that both Bosa and Mack are gone after 2024, that and they won't have the top ten pick next draft, now is the time to address getting a top notch Edge player to fill that gap in the future, that opportunity won't be there next year...as for receiver, there are probably still 2-3 lower priced veteran guys available that can help fill the gaps along with another WR draftee which could come as late as round 5 and still have an impact...

I would draft Edge, CB, LB, and DT with my first 4 picks and not in that order but in the order that makes more sense based on what is available...then you can address, RB, WR, OL, and TE on day three...defense needs to be the top priority in this draft...
        Both of the bolded are why I prefer to trade back.
        Many people believe that the Big-3 WR's are too good to pass up (and I understand... they are very good)
        But there aren't too many times you get the opportunity to get 2 first round draft picks either. The #11 and #23 picks are just too good.
        If there were an EDGE, CB, LB, or DT that were worth that #11 pick... I would certainly consider them there.
        Dallas Turner is a consideration... but I think he's drafted in the Top-10. Latu would be tempting @#11... if not for the neck injury.
        In the end, I think Hortiz & Company will start their re-build @RT. Daniel Popper is high if he thinks Plumpkins is anywhere approaching "functional". Not in a Roman offense. He asks his RT's to do a lot more than Plumpkins is physically able to do.

Then I spend #23 on LB/DT/CB.
        Then I spend #37 on LB/DT/CB.
        Then I spend #69 on LB/DT/CB.

If you look @Minter's edge players last year... they weren't elite. I think Bosa is with us in 2025. I think Hortiz will let Mack walk for a comp pick after 2024. Minter's defense produced pressure from up the middle during last year's march to the National Title. I would love to land Kris Jenkins with the #37 pick and Junior Colson with the #69 pick. Unfortunately, I don't think Colson lasts until the #69 pick. But those 2 players caused a lot of havoc in opposing team's backfields last year.

Comment

• Jack Burton
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2023
          • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Rumor brought to you by Mike Florio a couple of days ago. It seems the Kirk Cousins thing is gaining some kind of momentum. Possible compensation might be a swap of first rounders.

It will be interesting if this thing goes full throttle just before the draft.

Comment

• Boltnut
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Jack Burton View Post

It will be interesting if this thing goes full throttle just before the draft.
            I think the timing (this draft) is unlikely. Maybe next draft (after much investigation).

Comment

• Heatmiser
              HarbaughHarrisonHeatMiser
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Stetson516 View Post
              IMO...i don't think we waste a blue chip pick on Bowers. Plenty of other needs and more important. But..... have you looked at Tip Rieman? Dude flows across the middle and sits down just like Kelce does.. his highlights resemble him sooo much and he plucks the ball out of the air so easy and snappy.... his hands are HUGE, like Gronks. His measurables are like both combined, if not better. Bigger faster stronger... bench more than both, 28 reps. LOVES to run block. Huge...6'5" 270lbs... he's probably like our late 4th (110) or early 5th round option at that position... watch some film and let me know if I'm off my rocker. BOLT UP!
              Thanks! Was not familiar with Rieman. He does sound promising. But I think Zach Heins is more likely the pick if they go TE in the late rounds. He is a Dissly clone in every way, even down to the red hair and he is a terror as a blocker and although not a great route runner or evasive/fast guy he is very hard to bring down when he has the ball in his hands.

TG
              Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                Oline-Tip of the Spear...
                • Feb 2019
                • McLean Illinois
                • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

Thanks! Was not familiar with Rieman. He does sound promising. But I think Zach Heins is more likely the pick if they go TE in the late rounds. He is a Dissly clone in every way, even down to the red hair and he is a terror as a blocker and although not a great route runner or evasive/fast guy he is very hard to bring down when he has the ball in his hands.

TG
                Zach Heins. Never heard of him...awesome. Watched the usual suspects to death....bring us more UNusual suspects, TPB...new guys to investigate!
                The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB,Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

• RockyMtnBoltFan
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Apr 2022
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by dmac_bolt View Post

I do not oppose picking any of the 4 elite weapons oft discussed in the top of draft. WR has the obvious positive cap value bonus that I’ve posted several times. If I were picking at 5, I probably take MH2 or Nabers due to this and my same estimate as you that they are probably pro bowl to all pro projections. Alt has the value but at a redundant LT position - RT isn’t that same value but it is value. If they take him, I get what they are doing and I’m fine with it. I doubt it though, not sure why other than Slater. Bowers doesn’t have that same cap value bonus but he is unique in a way that could cause let them ignore this. I’m delighted if they take him too.

I also am fine trading down to an 11/23 type exchange where maybe there is still a Bowers/Odunze but quite possibly not - and if not there is a Murphy/Newton/Fuaga/Verse that is a different inside-out build strategy that can be very effective in a different way.

I was only commenting on the question of is it mandatory to have a top WR to win. KC says no. I’d still like one though ,and i want want that creates quick separation from DBs for Herbert. To me that narrows it to MH2 and Nabers. Odunze is a beast and all, don’t ,mind picking him at all, just my criteria favors the other two.
                  overall agree. It’s a good position to be in and both picking BPA at 5 or trade back to get 11,23 and premium pick in 2025 will help tremendously.

I personally think the two most important needs, as in day 1 starter, are WR and CB. As much as we know there is work to be done in the trenches I won’t be surprised if they address both in the first two rounds. This is where the trade down makes sense…IF they think 11 and 23 present day 1 starters with high floors and upsides.

lwalking away with Odunze or Thomas or Bowers at 11 and then a top CB at 23…follow that up in the 2nd with Oline. That could be really nice…

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Dec 2019
                    • Send PM

overall agree. It’s a good position to be in and both picking BPA at 5 or trade back to get 11,23 and premium pick in 2025 will help tremendously.

I personally think the two most important needs, as in day 1 starter, are WR and CB. As much as we know there is work to be done in the trenches I won’t be surprised if they address both in the first two rounds. This is where the trade down makes sense…IF they think 11 and 23 present day 1 starters with high floors and upsides.

lwalking away with Odunze or Thomas or Bowers at 11 and then a top CB at 23…follow that up in the 2nd with Oline. That could be really nice…

If QBs go the first 3, if not 4 picks - the Chargers cannot go wrong

1) they stay at 5 and get a top 2 or 3 player on their draft board and if four QBs go, possibly the best pure football player on their draft board

2) trade back - get more picks - maybe they get a Bowers, or Odunze or OT or even Latu if the neck checks out and still get WR or CB later in round 1

I know this - Hortiz is the right guy making the selection

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Heatmiser View Post

TG
                      Heat, nice find there on Heins--big dude at 6-6 and 264#...Sammie Small Schooler but looks like a nice sleeper pick day 3. I like the dude's hands and catch radius:

Comment

• Bolt4Knob
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Dec 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Both of the bolded are why I prefer to trade back.
                        Many people believe that the Big-3 WR's are too good to pass up (and I understand... they are very good)
                        But there aren't too many times you get the opportunity to get 2 first round draft picks either. The #11 and #23 picks are just too good.
                        If there were an EDGE, CB, LB, or DT that were worth that #11 pick... I would certainly consider them there.
                        Dallas Turner is a consideration... but I think he's drafted in the Top-10. Latu would be tempting @#11... if not for the neck injury.
                        In the end, I think Hortiz & Company will start their re-build @RT. Daniel Popper is high if he thinks Plumpkins is anywhere approaching "functional". Not in a Roman offense. He asks his RT's to do a lot more than Plumpkins is physically able to do.

Then I spend #23 on LB/DT/CB.
                        Then I spend #37 on LB/DT/CB.
                        Then I spend #69 on LB/DT/CB.

If you look @Minter's edge players last year... they weren't elite. I think Bosa is with us in 2025. I think Hortiz will let Mack walk for a comp pick after 2024. Minter's defense produced pressure from up the middle during last year's march to the National Title. I would love to land Kris Jenkins with the #37 pick and Junior Colson with the #69 pick. Unfortunately, I don't think Colson lasts until the #69 pick. But those 2 players caused a lot of havoc in opposing team's backfields last year.
                        I prefer to trade back too for the reasons you mention -- there are so many needs and wants

that said, to trade back from 5, especially with QB premium, it does need to be something like 11 and 23. The Jeremiah idea to go from 5 to 10 was horrible. Chargers need to get GREAT value to move off of a top 5 pick

And in fact, I like the idea of MN trading with AZ and AZ trading back up with AZ and hte chargers getting 11 and AZ's picks in Rounds 2 and 3;; that would be 7 picks in the top 110 or so. Granted, if they get 11 and 23, no reason they cannot trade back from 23 - but we know those two AZ picks are at the top of each round

Comment

• Icebolt
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Mar 2023
                          • Send PM

I know there’s a lot of talk around trading out of #5 and while I think that’s possible I think they will only do it if they can get a kings ransom. I don’t think 11&23 will be enough to get them to trade back.

my reasoning is that they are in a position to get an “elite” talent at a need position that represents great value for roster construction. Either MHJ or Nabers is what they need. These are arguably the two best football players in the draft. Talk all you want about having a dominant run game, but most NFL games come down to the 4th quarter and you NEED elite talent that can get open and make plays in crunch time to win games.

They aren’t expecting to be in position to draft this type of elite playmaker ever again. So unless Minnesota throws in next years #1 and significantly over-pay I am now hoping they stick and pick one of the WR’s.
                          You have not been paying attention. They are not drafting a WR. Just in the other thread there was an article posted about how teams just really never learn. Basically you should trade down most times ( unless a QB ). The differences between "elite-cannot pass this guy up" and the next guy is never much of a gap. It's a guessing game and you need the most guesses. Baltimore has done this many time.
                          We are trading back

Comment

Working...
                          X