• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by GoChargersGo!! View Post

The final four teams that were left in the playoffs this year show the importance of having an elite TE.
    Detroit-LaPorta
    KC-Kelce
    SF-Kittle
    BAL-Andrews
    THIS^^^
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
      Charger Fan since 1978
      • Sep 2021
      • Send PM

Their defense did not fall apart though 0 points given up in the 2nd half. You definitely cannot blame the defense for the loss. You give up 17 points to a Mahomes led offense you expect to win that game.
      no, especially madabuike, he was an absolute beast in that game...
      "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• Topcat
        AKA "Pollcat"
        • Jan 2019
        • Send PM

The final four teams that were left in the playoffs this year show the importance of having an elite TE.
        Detroit-LaPorta
        KC-Kelce
        SF-Kittle
        BAL-Andrews
        Good point...I have no problem staying @#5 and taking Bowzer...but would prefer to trade down and build the O-line...among other needs...

Comment

• GoChargersGo!!
          Bolt Up!
          • Jan 2024
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Good point...I have no problem staying @#5 and taking Bowzer...but would prefer to trade down and build the O-line...among other needs...
          Well QB isn't a need so there's that lol

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Elite TEs don't just grow on trees ya know
            They do grow on trees after the first round though.

Comment

• BigBad
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2019
              • Send PM

Good video here. One ex-Charger and one O-lineman who played for Harbaugh and Roman in SF.

Phil Mackey is VERY high on the 2024 Los Angeles Chargers! He thinks Jim Harbaugh will do exactly what he did with the San Francisco 49ers in 2011 -- double ...

Comment

• CanadianBoltFan
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jul 2022
                • White Rock, BC Canada
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Xenos View Post

They do grow on trees after the first round though.
                The best TE prospect probably ever doesn't though. Pitts was an athletic freak but Bowers is a real TE, a complete TE, plus a dynamic weapon

The Athletic

We spent a lot of time a year ago discussing an elite tight end class, which was proven accurate by the performances of Sam LaPorta, Dalton Kincaid, Luke Musgrave, Tucker Kraft and more. The 2024 TE class is nowhere near as deep, but the guy at the top is the best we’ve seen in years.

Put simply, Bowers was physically ready to play NFL football — as a receiver and a blocker — when he was a true freshman. He had to spend two more years in college because those are the rules, but the 6-4, 240-pounder is a true two-way dynamo. Bowers’ ability to create yards after the catch on even the most basic routes was unmatched in college. Georgia used him on jet sweeps, goal-line fades and everything else.

More than that, though, he’s a terrific blocker, both inline and flexed. He’s the best receiving tight end and blocking tight end in the class — and it’s not close.

Bowers shares a bunch of traits with San Francisco 49ers star George Kittle. When Kittle fell to the fifth round in 2017, however, the standard idea of what a great TE should look like was still very much changing. Kittle dropped because he was on the small side (6-4, 247), and he became one of the best draft steals in a generation. If he declared today, he’d be a top-10 pick.

And Bowers is a top-10 player in this draft. Some might even have him in the top five, as he’s the rare TE prospect who’ll fit any offense.

Will a team be bold enough to snag Bowers that early? Or will someone in the teens get a complete gift?

Comment

• DerwinBosa
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Feb 2022
                  • Send PM

2006 wasn't one of the most complete teams ever? How many pro bowlers on offense and defense that year? I can count quite a few.
                  It was. They blew it, unfortunately. So have many other great teams...the 1990 49ers, the 2007 Patriots, the 2014 Seahawks...for example. It happens. Unfortunately we were the ones who hired Norv Turner after it happened.

Comment

• northerner
                    Charger fan since '79
                    • Mar 2019
                    • Send PM

Well QB isn't a need so there's that lol
                    cool avatar GCG.

Comment

• Formula 21
                      The Future is Now
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Republic of San Diego
                      • Send PM

Their defense did not fall apart though 0 points given up in the 2nd half. You definitely cannot blame the defense for the loss. You give up 17 points to a Mahomes led offense you expect to win that game.
                      Two quick penalties at the end when they had KC pinned way back. Including a personal foul? That's a loss of composure.
                      Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                      The Wasted Decade is done.
                      Build Back Better.

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                        Day Tripper
                        • May 2019
                        • North of the Lagoon
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by DerwinBosa View Post

That was exactly my point. Herbert doesn't NEED Bowers to win a Super Bowl. Herbert NEEDS a complete team around him.
                        We don't have a #1 TE on the roster right now. TE is part of a complete team, so I think you just proved Herbert DOES NEED Bowers.

Its gonna be hard to debate that TE is not part of a complete team ... I'll watch what happens next as the debate champs reassemble ...
                        “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                          Day Tripper
                          • May 2019
                          • North of the Lagoon
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I'd rather build the DL than the OL. We just need an OC. We have 2 Rd1 picks and a Rd3 pick on the OL. I would never spend a Top 5 pick on a Center.

Meanwhile, our DL is a scrap bin. I don't see a Top 5 DL player in this draft and

As to the trade down mantra, we read it every year. I'm not opposed if we get significantly over-paid for our pick.
                          “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

Working...
                          X