• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

2) An offensive line regression The Panthers thought going into the 2023 season that the offensive line would be a strength. Instead, it’s turned into a major weakness. A turnstile at both offensive guard positions and a new blocking scheme that has foundered badly — along with the sudden regression of left tackle Ickey Ekwonu — are to blame. For a short quarterback like Young, who’s 5-foot-10, pressure in your face up the middle is the most difficult thing to deal with. But center Bradley Bozeman and the rotating cast of guards on either side of him have routinely allowed it. Last week, Jacksonville attacked the Panthers over and over again at the guard positions, an enormous factor in Carolina’s 26-0 loss — the first time the Panthers had been shut out since 2002. Carolina has started five different left guards and seven different right guards this year due to injury and ineffectiveness. Panthers guard Austin Corbett (63) has been hurt for most of 2023, and the team has struggled greatly at both guard positions in his absence.

Meanwhile, Ekwonu — the No. 6 overall pick of the 2022 draft — has also taken a step backward in what he calls “a humbling year.” Ekwonu’s footwork hasn’t been great and his confidence has taken a hit. He looks stressed. He’s given up too many sacks and had a difficult time working with the left guards beside him when other teams run pass-rushing games designed to confuse. Ekwonu is still on a cap-friendly contract, so he’s not going anywhere, but he absolutely must be better in 2024.

As for the blocking scheme: With Reich, the Panthers went from a north-to-south, ground-and-pound rushing attack that worked well in their final 12 games of 2022 under interim coach Steve Wilks (they had a 6-6 record under Wilks, and, as I’ve written, the team should have hired him to the permanent job) to a zone-heavy scheme. That blocking style required linemen to move more in space and has really hurt Bozeman’s production.

Carolina also has done Young no favors by not sticking with the running game enough (last week was a good example), not keeping him under center enough and too often putting him in an empty, five-wide set in the shotgun, advertising to pass rushers, “Come and get me!” In other words, although the Panthers didn’t mean to, the coaching staff and front office have set Young up to fail as a rookie. And he certainly did, while the line collapsed around him.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...#storylink=cpy
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Maniaque 6
      French Speaking Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Québec city
      • Send PM

One thing is for sure : he's not Linsley.

Comment

• Formula 21
        The Future is Now
        • Jun 2013
        • Republic of San Diego
        • Send PM

This is huge. The pressure is off in the draft. We can go WR and ORT with the first two picks without worrying about that gaping hole in the middle. We really don’t need to pick a C at all unless he’s BPA. Backup C is not a hard job to fill either.

Plus an experienced player is generally going to help the team win sooner than a rookie learning on the job.

I love it, we’re setting up to win now.
        Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
        The Wasted Decade is done.
        Build Back Better.

Comment

• richpjr
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Nashville
          • Send PM

He was also cut, so signing him does not count against possibly compensatory picks.

Comment

• Topcat
            AKA "Pollcat"
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
            As for the blocking scheme: With Reich, the Panthers went from a north-to-south, ground-and-pound rushing attack that worked well in their final 12 games of 2022 under interim coach Steve Wilks (they had a 6-6 record under Wilks, and, as I’ve written, the team should have hired him to the permanent job) to a zone-heavy scheme. That blocking style required linemen to move more in space and has really hurt Bozeman’s production.
            Yep...so maybe those 8 sacks allowed by Bozeman last year not an accurate assessment of what he can do back in his old familiar Roman scheme...when he only allowed 3 sacks...

Comment

• el_jefe999
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jan 2023
              • Send PM

Trade down and value picks of cb/ol/edge/wr is my jam.. three best players in those categories goes a long way to winning football

Comment

• dmac_bolt
                Day Tripper
                • May 2019
                • North of the Lagoon
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Charge! View Post

I agree..... we still will draft a rookie, but it gives rookie time to learn if needed....
                It also reduces the imperative to draft an OC by Rd2 imo.
                “Less is more? NO NO NO - MORE is MORE!”

Comment

• blueman
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Perfect front man for this OL: The Misfits.

Comment

• AK47
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • May 2019
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by BlazingBolt View Post
                    I heard he gave up more sacks than any center in the League last year.

This makes the sting of losing Keenan a distant memory (sarcasm)
                    Herbert time to throw = 2.45 seconds. https://twitter.com/danielrpopper/st...09990232113438

Bryce Young time to throw = 2.89 seconds. https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...-season-saints

That's nearly .5 second extra time for Herbert!!

Comment

• Boltx
                      Dominate the day
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Lots of one year deals, interesting.

I bet we still draft a player at every position that we've signed in FA so far.

ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltx View Post
                        Lots of one year deals, interesting.

I bet we still draft a player at every position that we've signed in FA so far.
                        LOL!
                        RB, TE, DT, LB, C. Could Be!

Comment

• LarryAW
                          Chargers fan since 1970
                          • Sep 2018
                          • Chula Vista, CA
                          • retired paralegal/court reporter
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Blastttoff View Post

8 sacks to playing in the worst division in football.
                          You really don’t want to risk health of your golden arm qb. If you want to protect your investment go and get pass pro or else learn the hard way.

I get moving on from Allen was needed to create room. But they didn’t seem to have a plan to fill the space with good players…
                          IIRC, the Panthers had the worse Wide-Receiver-Separation in the league last year, second to the Chargers.

Young's QBR was 33.4, just 2.9 points above dead-last Zach Wilson. Young was 29th. Justin Herbert's QBR was 66.1, 5th in the league.

How about give the guy a chance with his new team.

That said, he is definitely better at run-blocking than pass-blocking.

Comment

Working...
                          X