Clear All
  • LarryAW
    Chargers fan since 1970
    • Sep 2018
    • Chula Vista, CA
    • retired paralegal/court reporter
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Maniaque 6 View Post
    One thing is for sure : he's not Linsley.
    Very few Centers were, and you aren't getting a former All-Pro for peanuts. It's called roster-building and it's March.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
      Perfect front man for this OL: The Misfits.
      Like Blaise Winter and the Replacements...

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Yep...like yer thinking Rambler...maybe a solid C drops to us in round 3 or 4...
        Either that, or they'll get someone later on day 3 to try to develop.

I hated the idea of drafting Frazier from West Virginia with the high 2nd round pick.
        Maybe Van Pratt is there in the 3rd.

Bozeman is a big physical guy. Is that their preferred criteria for centers?

Comment

• Fleet 1
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Kauai
          • Send PM

Panthers Walter Payton Man Of The Year nominee. Good character guy at least. I have always said Harbaugh will get more from less. I think he can work some magic on him. Its 1 year. I still think this is just a learning curve year. 2025 will be the offseason that adds the bigger names imo. Not a ton of Centers in the draft either. Lots of guys need work. We need depth. When it comes to some of the free agent signings...im more excited to see how Harbaugh unlocks them...more than i am the players themselves. I really am a fan of good coaching. A fan of player development. Im excited to see the evolution of good coaching for once. Players getting better each week. Just show me signs of good coaching. The pillars will come. 2 drafts...2025 free agency. This team will be set long term.

Comment

• JOJAX85
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Sep 2018
            • Irmo, SC
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet 1 View Post
            Panthers Walter Payton Man Of The Year nominee. Good character guy at least. I have always said Harbaugh will get more from less. I think he can work some magic on him. Its 1 year. I still think this is just a learning curve year. 2025 will be the offseason that adds the bigger names imo. Not a ton of Centers in the draft either. Lots of guys need work. We need depth. When it comes to some of the free agent signings...im more excited to see how Harbaugh unlocks them...more than i am the players themselves. I really am a fan of good coaching. A fan of player development. Im excited to see the evolution of good coaching for once. Players getting better each week. Just show me signs of good coaching. The pillars will come. 2 drafts...2025 free agency. This team will be set long term.
            Agreed. The fire and pitchfork group need to calm the hell down. This team was a mess and it wasn't going to be fixed overnight. They've signed a lot of vets on 1 year deals to see what they could squeeze out of them. They didn't really have a choice. This isn't Major League Baseball and we aren't the Yankees with unlimited spending power. We'll go to the draft and pick up some key pieces and then we'll grab some guys from the cut down date and we will roll with what we have. We will set a goal of Winning the Superbowl, but in all fairness, that's unrealistic THIS year. Just enjoy the process. It's been a minute since we've had the opportunity to be more than mediocre &/or irrelevant.

Comment

• ChargerTrader
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Sep 2018
              • Send PM

Very nice signing.

Comment

• La Costa Boy
                Pretty much retired......
                • Sep 2018
                • JoJa
                • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
                • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
                2) An offensive line regression The Panthers thought going into the 2023 season that the offensive line would be a strength. Instead, it’s turned into a major weakness. A turnstile at both offensive guard positions and a new blocking scheme that has foundered badly — along with the sudden regression of left tackle Ickey Ekwonu — are to blame. For a short quarterback like Young, who’s 5-foot-10, pressure in your face up the middle is the most difficult thing to deal with. But center Bradley Bozeman and the rotating cast of guards on either side of him have routinely allowed it. Last week, Jacksonville attacked the Panthers over and over again at the guard positions, an enormous factor in Carolina’s 26-0 loss — the first time the Panthers had been shut out since 2002. Carolina has started five different left guards and seven different right guards this year due to injury and ineffectiveness. Panthers guard Austin Corbett (63) has been hurt for most of 2023, and the team has struggled greatly at both guard positions in his absence.

Meanwhile, Ekwonu — the No. 6 overall pick of the 2022 draft — has also taken a step backward in what he calls “a humbling year.” Ekwonu’s footwork hasn’t been great and his confidence has taken a hit. He looks stressed. He’s given up too many sacks and had a difficult time working with the left guards beside him when other teams run pass-rushing games designed to confuse. Ekwonu is still on a cap-friendly contract, so he’s not going anywhere, but he absolutely must be better in 2024.

As for the blocking scheme: With Reich, the Panthers went from a north-to-south, ground-and-pound rushing attack that worked well in their final 12 games of 2022 under interim coach Steve Wilks (they had a 6-6 record under Wilks, and, as I’ve written, the team should have hired him to the permanent job) to a zone-heavy scheme. That blocking style required linemen to move more in space and has really hurt Bozeman’s production.

Carolina also has done Young no favors by not sticking with the running game enough (last week was a good example), not keeping him under center enough and too often putting him in an empty, five-wide set in the shotgun, advertising to pass rushers, “Come and get me!” In other words, although the Panthers didn’t mean to, the coaching staff and front office have set Young up to fail as a rookie. And he certainly did, while the line collapsed around him.

Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sp...#storylink=cpy
                This post right here puts it all into perspective for me. It's a nice find F21. Fleet's post as well is a calm take on this signing. I too look forward to what OUR coach and his staff can do with Bozeman. Lots of glass half empty on here and I will admit that after a 5 - 12 shit show, it is earned. But this is 2024.......no TT and no Staley to muddy up the water. For once I really feel that from the GM on down, we are focused on building up needs into strengths a little bit at a time. Bravo JH & JH

Comment

• ChargerTrader
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Sep 2018
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by La Costa Boy View Post

This post right here puts it all into perspective for me. It's a nice find F21. Fleet's post as well is a calm take on this signing. I too look forward to what OUR coach and his staff can do with Bozeman. Lots of glass half empty on here and I will admit that after a 5 - 12 shit show, it is earned. But this is 2024.......no TT and no Staley to muddy up the water. For once I really feel that from the GM on down, we are focused on building up needs into strengths a little bit at a time. Bravo JH & JH
                  Hortiz and Roman know what they are getting with Bozeman... The strengths and the weaknesses.

Comment

• Icebolt
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Mar 2023
                    • Send PM

The team was a real mess but now we are a smaller mess with cap space. We are headed in the right direction.

Comment

• LarryAW
                      Chargers fan since 1970
                      • Sep 2018
                      • Chula Vista, CA
                      • retired paralegal/court reporter
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

Like Blaise Winter and the Replacements...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaise_Winter
                      IIRC, our scrubs were pretty good.

I just do not remember Blaise Winter at all. At least I usually remember somebody when I see the name, but not his.

Comment

• Blastttoff
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Sep 2020
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by LarryAW View Post

IIRC, the Panthers had the worse Wide-Receiver-Separation in the league last year, second to the Chargers.

Young's QBR was 33.4, just 2.9 points above dead-last Zach Wilson. Young was 29th. Justin Herbert's QBR was 66.1, 5th in the league.

How about give the guy a chance with his new team.

That said, he is definitely better at run-blocking than pass-blocking.
                        Ya you can give someone a chance, but its a short season and if you are in situations when its 3rd and 8 down by 7 at your 30 yard line... it wont be pretty. Another stat: Will clapp pressures allowed: 28, bozeman: 32...

Not part of the man hunt here for this guy, but let's all tamper our expectations here and not sure why charger fans think this is a great signing just because we signed a center and plugged a need...

we really need to get good with our interior this draft...

Comment

• Riverwalk
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Nov 2021
                          • Send PM

He gave up more sacks than Clapp.

Comment

Working...
                          X