How Do We Fix the Deficiency at Receiver?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fouts2herbert
    Charger Fan since 1978
    • Sep 2021
    • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post

Worst plan ever. I like those two, but c’mon, you really think we can win games - say playoff games - with them as starters? Down by three to the Chiefs, minute :28 left to play, 74 yards to go…really?
    We don’t need any more high falutin prima donnas that only care about their stats…they will find someone in day three that’s going to surprise everyone…

so to answer that question you d emphasize wr and sink the draft capital into building a terrifying defense
    "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• blueman
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Re slot, that’s QJ’s spot, he’s kinda like a mini-me version of Nabers. Beat the crap outta Harbaugh’s Michigan team that way, they couldn’t cover him with that vaunted D of theirs and when he got the ball in his hands he just out ran everybody. Weird Moore never set him up much for that, Roman will play to his strengths.

Comment

• Velo
        Ride!
        • Aug 2019
        • Everywhere
        • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
        • Send PM

Re slot, that’s QJ’s spot, he’s kinda like a mini-me version of Nabers. Beat the crap outta Harbaugh’s Michigan team that way, they couldn’t cover him with that vaunted D of theirs and when he got the ball in his hands he just out ran everybody. Weird Moore never set him up much for that, Roman will play to his strengths.
        When QJ was drafted everybody was saying, "here's your X receiver..." Nabers is strictly slot. He has trouble beating press lined up on the LOS.

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

When QJ was drafted everybody was saying, "here's your X receiver..." Nabers is strictly slot. He has trouble beating press lined up on the LOS.
          Huh, don’t remember that and don’t see it watching his tape. Excellent weapon if used correctly, hopefully Roman does so.

Also didn’t Nabers play like upwards of 40% at the X? Yeah he slays in the slot, but of the two WRs I’d have more confidence in his physicality at the X in the pros, if we have to go there. Of course rather just draft a true X..

Comment

• sonorajim
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jan 2019
            • Send PM

Huh, don’t remember that and don’t see it watching his tape. Excellent weapon if used correctly, hopefully Roman does so.

Also didn’t Nabers play like upwards of 40% at the X? Yeah he slays in the slot, but of the two WRs I’d have more confidence in his physicality at the X in the pros, if we have to go there. Of course rather just draft a true X..
            I saw Nabers beating coverage everywhere he played. Most elusive receiver in the draft. Before and after the catch.

Comment

• Velo
              Ride!
              • Aug 2019
              • Everywhere
              • Leave the gun, take the cannolis
              • Send PM

Nabers struggled on the outside on the LOS at LSU, he couldn't beat press coverage. That is why I grade MHJ a bit above Nabers. MHJ beats press like a pro. MHJ can play anywhere and excel at it. There may be no better slot WR in this draft than Nabers, at which he is exceptional, better than MHJ even, but he's not as versatile as MHJ. That is why I have MHJ rated above him. But really, if we get either of this guys, I will be ecstatic. The passing game will be epic with Herbert throwing to either of them.

Virtually every scouting report I read/watched on Quentin Johnston last year had him as an X.

NFL Draft analyst John Vogel breaks down TCU wide receiver prospect Quentin Johnston as part of Draft Blitz's 2023 NFL Draft coverage.

2023 NFL Draft Prospect Quentin Johnston's profile, scouting report, trait grades, and NCAA season and career statistics.

Comment

• SuperChargedRodney37
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2024
                • Send PM

Originally posted by ChargersPowderBlue View Post

Bozeman wasn't a Charger last year. Zion Johnson was probably in a sophomore slump, we'll see if lives up to justify where he was drafted. Salyer isn't that good, he's overrated. Moore is better than Lombardi. The offense was just a mess. You can blame the coaching staff, but Telesco was the bigger problem. Thankfully he's not the Chargers' GM anymore.

Playing keep away? What's the point of that if you don't score touchdowns? Or let alone a field goal. Good offenses are going to score anyways. Especially given how rules and the way league ridiculously favors offenses now. All the teams who lost to KC turned the ball over in instances that could've helped them or didn't capitalize on a drive when they needed to. If you're thinking of beating them the same way Denver did, or how the Bengals play them tough, we don't have the pieces. At least not yet.

For those thinking we can't beat the Chiefs at their own game. We did in 2021. You also have to beat them in taking care of the ball better.
                You know what’s interesting when people continually bring up the Chiefs and how they are built and how we should mimic them or use 1990’s ground and pound with our RB that has never averaged just 12 carries a game across an entire season. Why don’t these folks actually bring up the construction of the last team to destroy them in the playoffs that was Quarterbacked by a 43 year old. Kelce even had 10 catches for 133 yards in that game and their offense still only scored 9 points.
                I just find it ironic.

Comment

• Fouts2herbert
                  Charger Fan since 1978
                  • Sep 2021
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Velo View Post

Both of these guys can play a role, but neither Palmer nor Johnston are #1 WRs. The WR group needs one standout star like MHJ, with JP/QJ as WRs 2-3, the fill out the bottom.
                  Bullshit on that bolded part, the team doesn't need a top 10 receiver or even a top 15 receiver, what Justin needs is 4 josh palmers and 1-2 speed guys, and all can run decent routes and hold onto the ball without expecting or demanding stats, blue collar type players over prima donna trash please...there are ton of big name prima donna has beens out there on the street right now, why is that? because they can't play anymore? I think teams are realizing from watching the chiefs and the patriots before them that you don't need a top WR types to win a Super Bowl...you need a balanced team with a couple of solid receivers, a decent run game, and most important a top 10-15 overall defense that is at least in the top five in scoring defense...
                  "The author assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or omissions in the content of this post. The information contained in this post is provided on an "as is" basis with no guarantees of completeness, accuracy, usefulness or timeliness..."​​

Comment

• gzubeck
                    Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                    • Jan 2019
                    • Tucson, AZ
                    • Send PM

Originally posted by Fouts2herbert View Post

Bullshit on that bolded part, the team doesn't need a top 10 receiver or even a top 15 receiver, what Justin needs is 4 josh palmers and 1-2 speed guys, and all can run decent routes and hold onto the ball without expecting or demanding stats, blue collar type players over prima donna trash please...there are ton of big name prima donna has beens out there on the street right now, why is that? because they can't play anymore? I think teams are realizing from watching the chiefs and the patriots before them that you don't need a top WR types to win a Super Bowl...you need a balanced team with a couple of solid receivers, a decent run game, and most important a top 10-15 overall defense that is at least in the top five in scoring defense...
                    Yeah, ah no...I don't think Justin feels that way at all...I think he would like 3 Keenans or 3 Mike Williams...

Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

• Boltnut
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Feb 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by gzubeck View Post

Yeah, ah no...I don't think Justin feels that way at all...I think he would like 3 Keenans or 3 Mike Williams...

Obviously Harbaugh/Roman/Hortiz don't feel that way.
                      Balanced offense and a strong defense are the way to go with this new regime.

Comment

• foreigner
                        Tom Telesco is gone
                        • Sep 2013
                        • Send PM

With our #1 round pick I think we should be drafting one of the two superstar WRs or Brock Bowers, lets give JH HQ weapons, forget about the OL, high draft picks rarely pan out, its the hard working lower rounds that produce results... my very humble opinion...

My biggest hope is that now we some real coaches to make the rest of the roster play good ball.

Comment

• gzubeck
                          Ines Sainz = Jet Bait!
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Tucson, AZ
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Boltnut View Post

Obviously Harbaugh/Roman/Hortiz don't feel that way.
                          Balanced offense and a strong defense are the way to go with this new regime.
                          I guess we'll know more after the draft.
                          Chiefs won the Superbowl with 10 Rookies....

"Locked, Cocked, and ready to Rock!" Jim Harbaugh

Comment

Working...
                          X