• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Highboltage
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Boltjolt's definition of good is higher than Vinabolt's.

Comment

• Mister Hoarse
      No Sir, I Dont Like It
      • Jun 2013
      • Section 457
      • Migrant Film Worker
      • Send PM

Define good.

In before 50 pages...
      Dean Spanos Should Get Ass Cancer Of The Ass!
      sigpic

Comment

• Boltx
        Dominate the day
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by vinabolt View Post
        The expected improvement of Gordon and the unexpected emergence of Inman this season pretty much make our offense indefensible after Allen comes back next season.
        Yes, indefensible.

Until he has another season ending injury. Three seasons in a row now? Clavicle, kidney, knee.
        ESPN Screename: GoBolts02

Comment

• Steve
          Administrator
          • Jun 2013
          • South Carolina
          • Meteorologist
          • Send PM

The real problem yesterday was not the QB or the WR. It was the OL. Rivers was doing a good job of getting the ball out quickly, but when he does that, he isn't going to be able to throw receivers open. TB got good pressure up the middle and it kept Rivers out of rhythm after the 1st quarter. On those short sets, Rivers cannot wait until the DL comes through the OL. He has to get it out quickly. McCoy and Ayers are way too quick on their inside rush to let them get within a couple of steps on those short drops.

Our WR would be a lot better if they had more time to work their way open. Add that to the play action threat with Gordon, the offense is really missing it's best element. But you can't ask our current OL to sit back and protect Rivers all day on play action. They just aren't good enough.

I would love to add more offensive weapons, but the ones we have are as good as other SB winning teams have had. Add in the fact that Williams, Benjamin and Inman are all young players with limited playing experience. They will continue to get better and are solid players even if they don't. But we have to get better on the OL.
          Last edited by Steve; 12-05-2016, 07:55 PM.

Comment

• TTK
            EX-Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • America's Finest City
            • Send PM

Inamn is no Dom Williams.

Comment

• SDFan
              Woober Goober
              • Jun 2013
              • Dolores, CO
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              The real problem yesterday was not the QB or the WR. It was the OL. Rivers was doing a good job of getting the ball out quickly, but when he does that, he isn't going to be able to throw receivers open. TB got good pressure up the middle and it kept Rivers out of rhythm after the 1st quarter. On those short sets, Rivers cannot wait until the DL comes through the OL. He has to get it out quickly. McCoy and Ayers are way too quick on their inside rush to let them get within a couple of steps on those short drops.

Our WR would be a lot better if they had more time to work their way open. Add that to the play action threat with Gordon, the offense is really missing it's best element. But you can't ask our current OL to sit back and protect Rivers all day on play action. They just aren't good enough.

I would love to add more offensive weapons, but the ones we have are as good as other SB winning teams have had. Add in the fact that Williams, Benjamin and Inman are all young players with limited playing experience. They will continue to get better and are solid players even if they don't. But we have to get better on the OL.
              I don't think they gave Gordon enough work. He was a beast and moving the pile consistently and getting extra yards after contact- yet had under 100 rushing. On 2nd and 1 last drive, there was no reason to throw at all in that situation when Gordon was hot.
              Life is too short to drink cheap beer :beer:

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Originally posted by SDfan View Post
                I don't think they gave Gordon enough work. He was a beast and moving the pile consistently and getting extra yards after contact- yet had under 100 rushing. On 2nd and 1 last drive, there was no reason to throw at all in that situation when Gordon was hot.
                Strange they didn't run there, especially when it would have drained more clock so if we scored, they would have had less opportunity after that. I believe I heard that Gordon has more touches than any other player in the NFL right now so it is a fine line between using your stud and burning him out. But in that situation, a few more carries would not have made that much of a difference.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post
                  Strange they didn't run there, especially when it would have drained more clock so if we scored, they would have had less opportunity after that. I believe I heard that Gordon has more touches than any other player in the NFL right now so it is a fine line between using your stud and burning him out. But in that situation, a few more carries would not have made that much of a difference.
                  Farrow has looked pretty good in his very limited time. I wonder why they don't give him more carries.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The problem with our running game is that we still have way too many negative plays. Our late game drives come to a scretching halt when we have a run that goes for -3 or -4 yards. We get off schedule, and teams know we have to throw a short pass because we can't protect Rivers.

Right now the Wr and TE are fine, and the RB are playing really well. But unless the OL steps things up, our offense is still way too inconsistent.

Adding an top notch WR would help, but it is not going to fix the real problem with our offense. The OL play is not very good, and there is no band aid you can stick on it to overcome that weakness. We need to get rid of Franklin and find another OT or get Barksdale to play up to his level of last year. Franklin has played well in the past when he was a Bronco, so he can do it, but for whatever reason he has been a huge disappointment with us. Barksdale had his best year last season because he was reasonably focused and didn't take many plays off. This year, he has taken a lot of plays off, and had a lot of mental mistakes.

Inman is not an elite player or anything, but he is a pretty good 3rd WR, who can play any WR spot.

Benjamin is very inconsistent, but is still develoiping after getting out of Cleveland. He is still a work in progress.

Williams is a top notch physical talent, but this time last year, the guy still didn't know how to run pass patterns. He is learning and developing every aspect of his game. Physically, he is everything you look for in a young WR.

It would be nice to add another WR, but Rivers is being forced to get rid of passes really, really quickly, which means he can't look off defenders, got through his progressions, or take the time to throw his receivers open. You can buy the bullshit about having the quick release as being why a QB is playing great, but the fact is even top QB need some time to do more than just get rid of the ball to avoid the sack. We need to continue to build the OL.
                    Last edited by Steve; 12-08-2016, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• richpjr
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Nashville
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The problem with our running game is that we still have way too many negative plays. Our late game drives come to a scretching halt when we have a run that goes for -3 or -4 yards. We get off schedule, and teams know we have to throw a short pass because we can't protect Rivers.
                      This drives me nuts. Gotta upgrade the line.

Comment

fender57
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

So did we chase Vina away?

I saw Lightning Will over at the other Chargers Board.

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
                          So did we chase Vina away?

I saw Lightning Will over at the other Chargers Board.
                          There is another Charger board?

Comment

Working...
                          X