• Show
Clear All
  • Fleet
    TPB Founder
    • Jun 2013
    • Cardiff - Poipu
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
    I didn't blame Dunlap as so much as I was pointing out that I didn't think Mathews expected contact from that guy. It just looked to me like the OLB was out of the picture quickly for Mathews and I think he just didn't figure on and contact from that side. People have complained long and hard that Mathews holds the ball away from his body but on that play he had it in against his body. To me about the only thing he could have done to cover the ball more is to have put it in his gut and covered it with two hands like he was running straight into the defense. To me it is normal to see a RB carry the ball in the arm opposite where pressure is coming from.

Thats my point. Hes a RB. He should expect contact at all times. You think he ran off the field and told his coach "sorry...i didnt expect that guy to hit me"? If i were his coach i would think he was making excuses.

Comment

• LV Bolt Fan
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
      I didn't blame Dunlap as so much as I was pointing out that I didn't think Mathews expected contact from that guy. It just looked to me like the OLB was out of the picture quickly for Mathews and I think he just didn't figure on and contact from that side. People have complained long and hard that Mathews holds the ball away from his body but on that play he had it in against his body. To me about the only thing he could have done to cover the ball more is to have put it in his gut and covered it with two hands like he was running straight into the defense. To me it is normal to see a RB carry the ball in the arm opposite where pressure is coming from.
      Just blame Matthews. :deadhorse:
      It will save 20 pages of crap in this thread. :chuckle:

Comment

• Den60
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by LV Bolt Fan View Post
        Just blame Matthews. :deadhorse:
        It will save 20 pages of crap in this thread. :chuckle:
        Yeah, you're right.

I amend my position. I'm done. Ryan Mathews can go straight to hell.

Comment

• rikardo
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

There still some packages that fit Mathews better than any other player.
          They can start looking at Fozzy and see if he looks as good as he did in the pre-season versus the number ones.

Is Mathews on his final year of his contract???

Comment

• floydefisher
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2013
            • siberiacuse, ny
            • Send PM

Originally posted by 6025 View Post
            12th career fumble for Mathews. That's only an average of 3 per year.
            This year isn't even done yet...over the course of his first 3 years, he averaged about 1.91 fumbles per 100 carries.

The league average (as of 2007, which is the latest I can find) is 1.11, which means Matthews is almost double the league average...not very good.

Truth is (according to stats on ESPN) he performs better as a sub than a starter...he needs to get pushed onto the bench as a supersub, and split the starting job between Brown and Woodhead for this rest of this year...then use a first round pick on a good running back for next year.
            sigpic

Comment

• Den60
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

Originally posted by rikardo View Post
              There still some packages that fit Mathews better than any other player.
              They can start looking at Fozzy and see if he looks as good as he did in the pre-season versus the number ones.

Is Mathews on his final year of his contract???
              No, he has two more years left.

Comment

• Den60
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

Originally posted by floydefisher View Post
                This year isn't even done yet...over the course of his first 3 years, he averaged about 1.91 fumbles per 100 carries.

The league average (as of 2007, which is the latest I can find) is 1.11, which means Matthews is almost double the league average...not very good.

Truth is (according to stats on ESPN) he performs better as a sub than a starter...he needs to get pushed onto the bench as a supersub, and split the starting job between Brown and Woodhead for this rest of this year...then use a first round pick on a good running back for next year.
                Yes, we should bench him and play Woodhead and Brown. I also think we should use the 5 WR sets more often.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                  Grammar Police
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Well sitting him hasnt done any good, better to let hom lnow now he will be counted on after a fumble.
                  Go Rivers!

Comment

• Fleet
                    TPB Founder
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Cardiff - Poipu
                    • Send PM

Im not saying Mathews should go to hell.Or the bench. Theres too much talent there to work with. Im just not going to make light of his weakness's which everybody knows are fumbling and fragility. Its nobody's fault when he fumbles but his own. I see RBs hold onto the ball in that situation all the time. Id hate for him to be a failure for us because i dont want to waste another high draft pick on a RB at this point. He just needs to get that shit under control as we look like a team that can move the ball. Im actually pretty confident in our offense at this point. The kid fumbles a lot. Its not that hard to admit. Even if you think it goes against your position on a player its ok to admit his weaknesses. Most players have them.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Las Vegas, NV
                      • Send PM

I'm still a supporter. He needs reps and the more he gets the more confident he will be. The kid hasn't had a coach support him, keep giving him the ball and he will get out of the funk. I disagree with using him as a backup, why is he any different than a young QB that is throwing picks? Let him work his way through it, if McCoy shows confidence in him the whole team will be rewarded. With Ronnie Brown in the Chargers are GUARANTEED not to go anywhere, with RM you have the talent and the chance to do something special. Everyone agrees our roster is lacking in talent, we have to play the players that have it. That means Gates, Rivers and Matthews have to be on the field for this team to compete.

Comment

• thelightningwill
                        Go Aztecs and Pads
                        • Jul 2013
                        • Send PM

I was for cutting Mathews before the season started. I've seen nothing, so far, to change my mind.
                        Before, I was thinking, 2 yards per rush and no fumbles was better than 3 yards per rush and fumbles.
                        But, now, Mathews isn't even getting the most yards per carry. It's Brown, who can also pass block. And it was that way last year.

Comment

• Chargerville
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Sep 2013
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR View Post
                          Of course it's a fuckup. Didn't say it wasn't. But Mathews' career is defined by two broken clavicles in one season and a penchant for redzone fumbles. I don't see how you can even make the comparison.
                          Agreed!

Comment

Working...
                          X