I think we can be major players in the division (conference?) as early as next year

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Boltx
    Dominate the day
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

I think we can be major players in the division (conference?) as early as next year

Yeah I know, there's still a lot of football left to be played THIS year but we still have to play KC twice, Denver twice, Cincy, etc. Don't get me wrong...I expect us to be fully competitive in each game and stranger things have happened...but it wouldn't surprise me to see us fall a bit short of the playoffs this year. No worries. The injuries, lack of horses, whatever, may catch up to us plus the AFC wildcard spots are really bunched up right now.

That being said, with the way these guys have played this year despite injuries and lack of talent at some key positions, why can't we make the jump to division winner next year? Especially if TT nets us another impressive draft class not to mention all the valuable experience the current young guys are getting.

Who is elite in the AFC anymore? Denver - not so invincible it seems and will be a year older next year. Indy - we already beat them but they will continue to be a force for years. KC - hampered by a weak offense and Alex Smith, but defense seems legit. New England? Cincy? I'll gladly throw our names in with them next year and beyond. Point is, it is far from "woe is us we can't play with the big boys."

Yes we still have some sizeable holes to fill, blah blah blah, but if you're holding your breath for a flawless roster it'll never happen. And nobody has one of those anymore, anyways. Give me a great QB, competent coaching, some blocking up front and a timely defense and anything can happen. Of course luck and injuries (or lack thereof) help too.

Granted a lot of this will depend on the Chargers players, coaches and GM continuing to BUILD on this year's successes while learning to avoid/remedy mistakes. But I don't buy the "oh noes we need to wait 3 years to be competitive" slogan anymore.

Thoughts?
    ESPN Screename: GoBolts02
  • Formula 21
    The Future is Now
    • Jun 2013
    • Republic of San Diego
    • Send PM

Another good draft, get the injured guys back, yeah, I think we'll be competitive next year.
    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
    The Wasted Decade is done.
    Build Back Better.

Comment

• SFW
      PB Official Game Thread Starter
      • Jul 2013
      • NY
      • USMC
      • Send PM

I think the Chargers are about 2 seasons away from being considered a contender. They still have big salary cap hurdles to overcome this coming off-season. They have a quality base of players and coaches in place but I still think they are about 2 quality off-seasons away from being the team they (we) envision.
      1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
      2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
      3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
      4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
      5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
      6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
      7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• Coachmarkos
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • SoDak
        • Technology Director
        • Send PM

just get in the damn playoffs (which the chargers would, if they started now), and win some games.

I'm not buying into any "contender" window thinking. The Ravens sucked balls for about half of last season, and won the Super Bowl.
        "...of course that's just my opinion, I could be wrong."

Comment

• OhioBolt
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Count me in as a believer I don't think we need that philosphical saying of 2-3 years to rebuild. We are playing competive week in and week out with exception of that dam Raider game. Now with all the injuries on both sides of the ball, especially the O-line we are still in games and very easily could be 6-1. The Colts turned it around in one year after losing Manning. The wild-card is possible this year. A good draft and a couple key Free Agents, and returning players from injury this is very possible to major player in 2014. Let's not right of 2013 so fast if there was ever a Franchise deserving of a cinderalla season it would be us.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I think 5-4 to finish the season is doable. That says playoffs to me.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• QSmokey
              Guardedly Optimistic
              • Jun 2013
              • Kuna, Idaho
              • Retired
              • Send PM

Ugh. No offense to my buddy BoltX, but this kind of thread is synonymous with a win. If we lose to the Redskins, someone (probably me) will be talking about Clowney...again. Or trading Rivers for someone's 1st-round pick this year and next. Or talking about being "more than 3 years away" from competing.

It's like clockwork. And I'm MORE guilty than anyone else around here. The silly emotional roller coaster than many of us put ourselves through, year after year of following this team, is what keeps me coming back to this board. Great fun!

Comment

• SFW
                PB Official Game Thread Starter
                • Jul 2013
                • NY
                • USMC
                • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
                Count me in as a believer I don't think we need that philosphical saying of 2-3 years to rebuild. We are playing competive week in and week out with exception of that dam Raider game. Now with all the injuries on both sides of the ball, especially the O-line we are still in games and very easily could be 6-1. The Colts turned it around in one year after losing Manning. The wild-card is possible this year. A good draft and a couple key Free Agents, and returning players from injury this is very possible to major player in 2014. Let's not right of 2013 so fast if there was ever a Franchise deserving of a cinderalla season it would be us.
                Outside of about 3 or 4 posters on this board most people have not written them off. I think most people hope they can squeak into the playoffs and then catch lightning in a bottle and see what happens. Just because they might not be considered or labeled a "contender" does not mean they have been written off.

I have seen them as a .500 team (+- 1 game) since training camp (to include the polls) and so far they are meeting my expectations. I will have higher expectations next year and then AFCG/SB in two years if the front office and coaching staff stay on the same path.
                1) Jason Verrett (CB) TCU
                2) Demarcus Lawrence (OLB) Boise St
                3) Will Sutton (DT) Arizona St
                4) Jarvis Landry (WR) LSU
                5) John Urschel (OC) Penn St
                6) Shamar Stephen (DT) UConn
                7) Brock Coyle (ILB) Montana

Comment

• BlazingBolt
                  SLAM DUNK!
                  • Jun 2013
                  • East County San Diego
                  • Bolt fanatic
                  • Send PM

I am still thinking Division title this year.

We control our own destiny vs Denver as of now (2 games back and we play them twice)

With KC we are 3 back and only have one game to make up if we can beat them.
                  migrated from chargerfans.net then the thenflforum.com then here

Comment

• Beerman
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Eastlake
                    • Send PM

With how the standings are shaping up, we may be able to sneak in with a 9-7 record. The key will be beating Miami and Cincy who should be in the hunt for the WC. That we have 4 of 5 games at home to finish the season is huge for us. Gotta protect home field.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
                      Grammar Police
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Go Rivers!

Comment

• ArtistFormerlyKnownAsBKR
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

We might catch a break and make the playoffs this year, but I'm not expecting it despite the way the team has played. I would love to be proven wrong. That said, with another offseason and the return of Ingram in particular I would go into next season expecting a legit shot at the playoffs. Of course anything can happen. But I agree with SFW. I think were two really good offseason from being considered a championship contender. There remain a lot of question marks about this club and many of those only intensify as Rivers, Gates and Hardwick age. Lots of question marks around Mathews, Floyd, DX, Te'o, Butler, the secondary, etc. And that all assumes we don't see additional injuries that derail some of the promising young guys.

But I'm on board with the program we have in place and the guys running it. Right now, I'm just excited to see signs of life and motivated players and prepared players after several years of lethargy. Who knows what the future will bring? For the moment, I'm just pleased that we appear to have made the right leadership moves, that they seem to have a handle on personnel acquisition and usage and that on game days our guys look pretty prepared, motivated and professional. I'm not going to get too hung up on when we can be a championship team. I'm just really happy that this franchise woke up from an unnecessarily long slumber. Signs of life!

Comment

Working...
                        X