I think we can be major players in the division (conference?) as early as next year

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panama
    パナマ
    • Aug 2013
    • London
    • Opera singer and web developer.
    • Send PM

Originally posted by OhioBolt View Post
    Update thanks Panama my scores where a typo mistake, but how come you can't look at how teams faired against common opponents? It will be a factor in playoff calculations. I am simple pointing the teams we lost to in the last minutes Texans & Titan, KC squeezes out 1 point victories with the opponents 2nd/3rd string QB.
    It's the idea that x>y and y>z therefore x>z -- while logically sound, it's an invalid way of analyzing teams in the NFL.

But looking at the comparisons, I see KC consistently holding opponents below 17 points, whether a prolific offense like Dallas' or a team starting a backup QB.

And digging deeper than the scores, I see two completely different styles of football. KC wins by shutting down the opponent's offense and playing conservative, turnover-free offense. We win by playing keep away with long, methodical drives. If we played a similar style of ball the comparisons you're trying to make would have more validity.

As I've started before, we're not likely to be able to sustain a lot of long drives against KC. It will be a low scoring affair, and the matchup favours the Chiefs. Doesn't mean we can't win, and I certainly hope we sweep them, but it certainly won't be the cakewalk some are implying.
    Adipose

Comment

• Den60
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

KC will have played against 3 backup QBs after this Sunday

What they say about the Chargers is how are they winning with all the injuries our impressive victories where over the Cowboys and Colts teams that are good.

KC has some blow out victories of the less competive teams, who would you say is a good team that they defeated? Dallas who they edged out 17-16 and we beat them 30-21.

Look at common opponents and then tell me what you think and what would you qualify as quality win for KC the blowout over the NY Giants 31-7 can't be considered a quality victory the Giants aren't good this year they are 1-6

KC 17 - Dall 16
      SD 30 - Dall 21

KC 17 - Hou 16 3rd string QB
      SD 28 - Hou 31 We should of one

KC 26 - Phil 16 Phil D is horrible
      SD 33 - Phil 30

KC 26 - Ten 17 with 2nd string QB
      SD 17 - Ten 20 another game we should of one

KC 24 - Oak 7
      SD 17 - Oak 27 we didn't showed up and deserved to lose the Raiders aren't that good

KC 28 - Jack 2 Galbert worse than Henne Jacksonville stinks period
      SD 19 - Jack 9 Henne slightly better than Galbert Jacksonville still sucks
      Yea, and they are unbeaten. We have pretty much split playing an incredibly easy schedule. Like I said, what about us? We lose to the Duhs (who came in and punched us in the mouth like teams need to do) and everybody is in the dumps. We win the next couple of games and it is "playoffs here we come." I just find it funny but I still don't view this team as being very good.

Comment

• ICE
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Den60 View Post
        Yea, and they are unbeaten. We have pretty much split playing an incredibly easy schedule. Like I said, what about us? We lose to the Duhs (who came in and punched us in the mouth like teams need to do) and everybody is in the dumps. We win the next couple of games and it is "playoffs here we come." I just find it funny but I still don't view this team as being very good.
        This team is very avg right now but at least I can see a hint of a GLEAM
        Some people say the Bolts shouldn't even be in the playoffs....

Comment

• Den60
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
          I may be in the minority, but I think we pose more of a problem for Denver than KC. Denver is all about scoring points and can't stop an opponent offense for shit. If we play keep away from them as had been our MO this year, we can take them. (Of course, they could do the same to us.) Against KC's D, I doubt we'll have too many 10-minute drives, which means we would be playing into their strength rather than ours. In a close low-scoring defensive game, anything can happen, but they'll have more possessions for Charles or Smith to best us.
          The last couple of years Denver has made pressuring Rivers the key to their games against us. I don't think they are going to do anything different. They just got Miller back after a 6 game suspension and he has yet to knock the rust off. I think the key for us against Denver will be to run the ball and keep things from becoming a shootout.

Comment

• Beerman
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Eastlake
            • Send PM

You predicted 4 wins for the entire season, we ALL know you don't think much of the team.

Comment

• Panama
              パナマ
              • Aug 2013
              • London
              • Opera singer and web developer.
              • Send PM

The last couple of years Denver has made pressuring Rivers the key to their games against us. I don't think they are going to do anything different. They just got Miller back after a 6 game suspension and he has yet to knock the rust off. I think the key for us against Denver will be to run the ball and keep things from becoming a shootout.
              Exactly. Play keep away with the run and short quick passes establishing long methodical drives. Take their strength from them by keeping the offense of the field and avoiding the shootout. Yes, they will try to harry us with their pass rush - that's their defensive identity - but the quick passing game mitigates that somewhat.

Look, I'm not saying I think we'll beat Denver. We are the third best team in this division, regardless of record. I'm only saying we match up better against Denver than against KC.
              Adipose

Comment

• Beerman
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Eastlake
                • Send PM

They also had Dumervil which is light years better than whoever they line up opposite Miller in pass rush situations. We also have new bookends which have proven to be better than last seasons pair. That defense just doesn't scare me at all. It's keeping up with that offense that does.

I still have the team losing both games to them, but we'll have a chance for sure. To make the playoffs, gonna have to split the games with KC and Denver. No easy task this year. Health will play a big role for both teams. KC has been remarkably healthy all season with just minor injuries.

Comment

• TTK
                  EX-Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • America's Finest City
                  • Send PM

The Chiefs have gotten all the breaks this year, playing a number of teams at the right time and have seemingly had the ball bounce their way a vast majority of the time and have been very healthy relative to the other teams in the division like Beerman said. Things tend to even out over the course of a season so we'll see how the teams stand at the end of the year. If the Chargers continue to play like they have in the past couple of games, I think they can catch them.

Comment

• homeless simpson
                    Registered Charger Fan
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Chiefs are just doing a slightly better job of winning the close games (2-0) than we have so far (1-2). you don't always need to be dominating to get a win, sometimes being able to win the close ones (which we failed at the last couple of years) is the just as important.

Comment

• Den60
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Beerman View Post
                      You predicted 4 wins for the entire season, we ALL know you don't think much of the team.
                      No, I predicted 3. Since they won 4 does that mean this is a good team them?

Comment

• Den60
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Panama View Post
                        Exactly. Play keep away with the run and short quick passes establishing long methodical drives. Take their strength from them by keeping the offense of the field and avoiding the shootout. Yes, they will try to harry us with their pass rush - that's their defensive identity - but the quick passing game mitigates that somewhat.

Look, I'm not saying I think we'll beat Denver. We are the third best team in this division, regardless of record. I'm only saying we match up better against Denver than against KC.
                        The short passing game is mitigated if your corners can play up and take away the WRs first move. Since Fox has been in Denver he has made it a point of getting pressure on Rivers and getting him to make mistakes. I don't see him changing that philosophy this year because we have MM instead of Norv. Hell the Duhs played us aggressively successfully and no one is confusing that defense for the 85 Bears. Many posters on here like to point at the Denver D and say how bad it is. Have they looked at our secondary of late. Last week pretty much sealed the deal for me with Cox, he sucks in coverage but makes up for it with poor tackling.

But I can see your point where you think we match up better with Denver because Denver wants to do the same thing we do, throw the ball a lot and score points. I do think, though, that they are a bit better in getting pressure on the QB without sending 7 guys to do so. We don't have a Von Miller in our front 7 and in fast paced air the ball out 50+ times type game that puts us at a big disadvantage.

Comment

• BoltBacker
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Las Vegas, NV
                          • Send PM

KC will have played against 3 backup QBs after this Sunday

What they say about the Chargers is how are they winning with all the injuries our impressive victories where over the Cowboys and Colts teams that are good.

KC has some blow out victories of the less competive teams, who would you say is a good team that they defeated? Dallas who they edged out 17-16 and we beat them 30-21.

Look at common opponents and then tell me what you think and what would you qualify as quality win for KC the blowout over the NY Giants 31-7 can't be considered a quality victory the Giants aren't good this year they are 1-6

KC 17 - Dall 16
                          SD 30 - Dall 21

KC 17 - Hou 16 3rd string QB
                          SD 28 - Hou 31 We should of one

KC 26 - Phil 16 Phil D is horrible
                          SD 33 - Phil 30

KC 26 - Ten 17 with 2nd string QB
                          SD 17 - Ten 20 another game we should of one

KC 24 - Oak 7
                          SD 17 - Oak 27 we didn't showed up and deserved to lose the Raiders aren't that good

KC 28 - Jack 2 Galbert worse than Henne Jacksonville stinks period
                          SD 19 - Jack 9 Henne slightly better than Galbert Jacksonville still sucks
                          Your argument helps DENs point, KC has played better than us against same opponents. Fact is we have played well and KC has played better. Doesn't mean things will stay that way. We have improved across the board and should be competitive but anyone downing KC with a perfect record is looking through Charger shades.

Comment

Working...
                          X