• Show
Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

The big thing we need is an new OL coach. I am getting really tired of the same weak ass stunts and blitzes at the A gaps on 3rd downs. We can't convert hardly any 3rd downs because the defenders come in untouched and Rivers has to rush the throw or take the sack. Other teams aren't even trying pressing the A gaps on other downs, just dialing them up on critical situations because even after all of preseason, and 9 regular season games, we still can't stop it.

Comment

• Fleet
      TPB Founder
      • Jun 2013
      • Cardiff - Poipu
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      The big thing we need is an new OL coach. I am getting really tired of the same weak ass stunts and blitzes at the A gaps on 3rd downs. We can't convert hardly any 3rd downs because the defenders come in untouched and Rivers has to rush the throw or take the sack. Other teams aren't even trying pressing the A gaps on other downs, just dialing them up on critical situations because even after all of preseason, and 9 regular season games, we still can't stop it.
      Yes. Absolutely. Drafting players probably wont work if we are staying in the sickness. And i think its either scheme or coaching. Im probably going to be pushing for a new OC as well. Its just not getting diagnosed and fixed under Whiz. I could throw blame all over the place but this offense shouldn't be this bad. I thought we were better last year with a shredded offense. Im quietly thinking that Lynn and Whiz are not on the same page. Let Lynn just bring in his own guy since he isnt going anywhere. And maybe a new OC can get a better OL coach. The current coach is a Lynn guy i think. Just not working.

Im ready for a rebuild. I dont trust Rivers anymore. I dont see Gordon confident in his running. He most likely is so rattled its almost ruined him. He hesitates or runs into his players. Hes just warped mentally after getting killed in the backfield for so long. Id make my priority in the draft securing a QB for the future. Grab a monster DT. A RT. And for God sakes a mauling Center. But until these trenches can be complete and dominant it will always be a struggle. Thats why i mention a mobile QB. Russell Wilson has had a worse OL and no run game but they win games with him and a strong D. So its just one of a few ideas i have in my head as far as a QB who can move goes. I tend to wonder of this offense as it is would have more success with a QB that can simply bootleg or roll out of the pocket from the drop. Open things up. With Rivers nothing sets up. There isnt enough time. And watching him move just hurts me now. I think hes playing on amputated legs or something. Like if you were to pull down his socks we would see wooden legs glued to his knees.

We should have been looking at legit backup RBs and QB in recent drafts. But we were always content with mediocrity. Theres been so many RBs and QBs that have gone later in the draft that i have wanted and it sucks to see them playing well for other teams. Ive named names plenty of times. Im just sick of this offense. Fuck even Allen drops passes now. I wish we had Royal and Woody. Or Sproles. That little slot and WR who is always open and shifty RB that gets open underneath were Rivers bread and butter.

Yes i 100% expect that the drama and the move to LA this offseason was taxing. But we have a bunch of diseases going on with this team and guys who are pretending to be doctors thinking they know how to fix it. I wouldnt mind bringing in a guy who can trully diagnose our problems. I thought John Butler was a good guy to turn us around years ago. It would seem we need that same type of football mind to fix this. I know we are close in games...but there are so many fundamental flaws its scary.

Honestly i often tell myself that Marty with this roster would probably have a winning record. There is no way he would allow the center of this OL to play like this and continue. Lynn doesnt seem to even know its a problem.

Comment

• richpjr
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jun 2013
        • Nashville
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Fleet View Post
        I could throw blame all over the place but this offense shouldn't be this bad. I thought we were better last year with a shredded offense. Im quietly thinking that Lynn and Whiz are not on the same page. Let Lynn just bring in his own guy since he isnt going anywhere. And maybe a new OC can get a better OL coach. The current coach is a Lynn guy i think. Just not working.
        Last year after 9 games, our offense averaged 27.1 points per game. This year after 9 games, we are averaging 18.55. That is a massive drop off especially given the substantially fewer number of injuries this year vs last year.

Comment

• Fleet
          TPB Founder
          • Jun 2013
          • Cardiff - Poipu
          • Send PM

Originally posted by richpjr View Post

Last year after 9 games, our offense averaged 27.1 points per game. This year after 9 games, we are averaging 18.55. That is a massive drop off especially given the substantially fewer number of injuries this year vs last year.
          And the big change? Move? Lynn? New OL coach? I dont know what we did to regress so much.

Comment

• richpjr
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jun 2013
            • Nashville
            • Send PM

And the big change? Move? Lynn? New OL coach? I dont know what we did to regress so much.
            IMO it has to be Lynn and his conservative philosophy, though I'm sure everything is factoring in. Maybe he feels the middle of the line is so inexperienced that he has to dial it down.

Comment

• blueman
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

New HC plus aging fast QB plus team moving plus just everything. Transition year if there ever was one.

I may be in the minority but if Rivers can't get it up I'd like to see Jones finish out the season. I don't need to see anymore of Clemens, please god no, there's no upside there to hope for. Plus with our mushy OL Jones would seem a better fit. As for missing Woody, well he only got all those catches cuz our WRs sucked balls, if we have WRs who can get open the need for that outlet decreases, why I loved the M. Williams pick (and Lamp, and Feeney), strengthen the basics on O, please. Just really sucks both our QB and starting RB are done.

Comment

• richpjr
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Nashville
                • Send PM

Lynn doesn't seem to have any idea why our offense is broke or how to fix it.

Chargers offense broken, and no fix in sight

Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers (left) and offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt (middle) watch from sideline during an exhibition game this summer. (Brian van der Brug / Los Angeles Times)
                Mike DiGiovanna

Anthony Lynn leaned on a well-worn but useful adage when the first-year Chargerscoach decided to retain offensive coordinator Ken WhisenhuntPhilip RiversMelvin Gordoncame within three yards of a 1,000-yard season.

They had a future Hall of Famer in Antonio Gates and a rising star in Hunter Henry at tight end. To a fleet of productive receivers they added Keenan AllenNFLTravis Benjamin

Comment

• OhioBolt
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
                  New HC plus aging fast QB plus team moving plus just everything. Transition year if there ever was one.

I may be in the minority but if Rivers can't get it up I'd like to see Jones finish out the season. I don't need to see anymore of Clemens, please god no, there's no upside there to hope for. Plus with our mushy OL Jones would seem a better fit. As for missing Woody, well he only got all those catches cuz our WRs sucked balls, if we have WRs who can get open the need for that outlet decreases, why I loved the M. Williams pick (and Lamp, and Feeney), strengthen the basics on O, please. Just really sucks both our QB and starting RB are done.
                  I don't see that happening I think the coach would want to end the season on a winning not, but if we aren't in contention I see no reason why Jones shouldn't be in for at least the last 2 or 3 games of the season, we need to see if has developed to at minimum a capable backup, best case scenario he some how has a light come on and he can be a starter otherwise to the draft.

Worse case scenario is like when we had Brees and he got injured the last game of the season if that happens to Rivers he very well may retire.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

Moved Slauson to OG and started Pulley.

Comment

• Fleet
                      TPB Founder
                      • Jun 2013
                      • Cardiff - Poipu
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Moved Slauson to OG and started Pulley.
                      But keeping it that way is the bigger issue. Not recognizing and reverting back to Slausson at Center....and move Pulley to OG. Why dont we make those moves? Its maddening. Im starting to think the 40 different OL groupings last year were better than a relatively healthy group of starters this season. Or was the one constant lat year Slausson at OC? Because even with all the injuries last year we ran the ball better. We passed the ball better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jun 2013
                        • Send PM

I'm very disappointed with Lynn so far. I think the bigger issue has been Whiz. I'd be OK with both coming back next season but with a short leash. Give these guys a full season and offseason working together to learn what worked and what didnt and implement the changes.

Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• richpjr
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Nashville
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by oneinchpunch View Post
                          I'm very disappointed with Lynn so far. I think the bigger issue has been Whiz. I'd be OK with both coming back next season but with a short leash. Give these guys a full season and offseason working together to learn what worked and what didnt and implement the changes.
                          Not a fan of that approach. Either go all in with Wiz and build the team around that approach or replace him and go in a different direction. We have suffered through way too many years of trying to maintain continuity.

Comment

Working...
                          X