• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by bonehead View Post

Jags and Bucs should seriously look at him...Winston and Bortles both have mid season meltdown potential
    And Manziel is going to be the SOLUTION to a meltdown??? LOL.

Comment

• Stinky Wizzleteats+
      Stinky Wizzleteats+ commented
      Editing a comment
      More like the meltdown to a solution.
  • Panamamike
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

Originally posted by Screeme View Post

I also like Rashaan Evans. The 3 you mentioned and Evans are the guys im pulling for at this point, assuming Smth is gone (as he will be. James I'm sure is a pipe dream now)

I could talk myself into Wynn, McGlinchey or Williams if it comes to that. But, I'd really like to see us get better at Run D. It is the most glaring weakness.
    Last edited by Panamamike; 03-23-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

• Bolt-O
      Administrator
      • Jun 2013
      • Send PM

Manziel needs at least one season in the CFL before he even thinks he could be signed by an NFL team. We already know that as a player, he is not ready to out think NFL defenses, and sitting as a backup won't help. I wouldn't even take him as a camp arm, it would just be a waste of his time. I don't think CFL replaces his need for genuine starting time, but at least he will play against opposing live defenses.

As far him as a person, I would give him the benefit of doubt as he does sound more mature, and sober, and maybe learned a little since his time with the Browns. I just can't forget how bad he was as a player at this level.

Comment

• Bolt-O
        Administrator
        • Jun 2013
        • Send PM

Jets are set to pay Suh very well, even though he hasn't yet visited them but already has the parameters of the deal. Will he go for the ring or $$$? My guess he's more about the $$$.

Comment

• bonehead
          Undrafted
          • Jul 2013
          • TBD
          • Retired
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Panamamike View Post

And Manziel is going to be the SOLUTION to a meltdown??? LOL.
          No, but I figured if those teams at USD thought he was a competitive NFL QB then Bucs and Jax would need him the most
          Forget it Donny you're out of your element

Shut the fuck up Donny

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

Published: March 23, 2018 at 05:02 p.m.
            Updated: March 23, 2018 at 07:01 p.m. Johnny Manziel's potential NFL landing spots: Eight team fits

Like my colleague Jeremy Bergman wrote Thursday, #ComebackSZN is in full swing.

If you haven't bought your Money Manziel apparel, there's still time. There's also time for the Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback to make a return to pro football.

Johnny Manziel took his latest step toward achieving exactly that on Thursday when he threw at the University of San Diego's pro day. At least 13 teams were in attendance, including a representative from Manziel's former employer, the Cleveland Browns. And as our own Bucky Brooks said of Manziel, most first-round quarterbacks get two or three shots to make it work, even if evidence mounts to prove otherwise.

Manziel has also said he's willing to take any opportunity presented, even if it's a practice-squad shot, opening some additional doors to situations that might not seem as such on the surface.

That made us wonder: Should Manziel, who struggled with a multitude of off-field issues and flamed out of the league in two short years, follow through on his promises of a comeback, where might he land? Let's explore below.

(NOTE: We should also add we're evaluating Manziel on where he was as a pro on his best day in Cleveland, since that's the last evidence off of which we have to work. That includes the off-field situation, since it significantly affected his production in Cleveland.)

1) Buffalo Bills: We entered the offseason with a handful of teams demonstrating a clear need at the quarterback position, and all but one -- Buffalo -- found at least a short-term answer. With the Bills' current best option being AJ McCarron and second-best Nathan Peterman, this franchise is squarely in the market for another signal-caller. Much has been made about the Bills' ability to trade into the top five to grab a quarterback, but taking a flier on Manziel wouldn't be a crazy idea. After all, it is where he struck his famous coffin pose.

2) Seattle Seahawks: Pete Carroll has long excelled at allowing his players to be who they want to be without allowing them to get in trouble. With stable leadership and ownership -- and a similar kind of quarterback (Russell Wilson) already firmly in place as the starter -- this is a comfortable, low-pressure situation for everyone involved. Should Wilson go down, Manziel is available to plug right into the scheme. If that doesn't happen, Manziel gets a chance to rediscover his love for the game while Seattle gets a talent for peanuts.

3) Cincinnati Bengals: With Cleveland's acquisition of Tyrod Taylor, its divisional foes could use a backup who can give them a good Taylor-like look in practice. Manziel fits that billing, and with Cincinnati losing dependable backup AJ McCarron to Buffalo, the Bengals could use a replacement at the position. It's a two-fer for Cincinnati, and also could produce a surprise successor to Andy Dalton, should the Bengals grow tired with him. Bengals owner Mike Brown also has a penchant for giving guys a second chance (see: Adam Jones, Vontaze Burfict), greasing the skids for this pairing.

4) New England Patriots: Bill Belichick loves taking on former first-rounders who haven't panned out (Barkevious Mingo and Jonathan Cooper, among many others). His Patriotsjust lost their go-to backup when they dealt Jimmy Garoppolo to San Francisco, Tom Bradyisn't getting any younger and if anyone can get a troubled individual to conform for the best interest of player and franchise, it's Belichick. Manziel would also bring a mobile element not seen except for Garoppolo's few appearances. He'll also, again, be had for very little money, making it a wise business move for the Patriots

5) Los Angeles Chargers: Philip Rivers is nearing the end of his career (despite showing little signs of slowing) and the Chargers are set up to win now and for the next few years. Manziel would be well-suited to join Los Angeles and spend some time learning from a seasoned veteran before taking the keys, competing with Cardale Jones in the meantime for the backup position. With Rivers entrenched as the starter, Manziel's arrival wouldn't spark much drama in the building and could produce the best situation for him to learn how to be a pro now that he's a changed man, as he claims to be. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt also has experience taking retreads (Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, for example) and getting the most out of them, though Manziel would be a much different type of retread.

6) New Orleans Saints: Manziel's comparison coming out of Texas A&M, at least in terms of (lack of) height, was Drew Brees. He just re-upped with the Saints for two seasons and is undoubtedly entering the final turn of his career. Much like the Chargers scenario, this is another good situation for the quarterback to learn under one of the game's greats in an offense that could be incredibly dynamic with a young group of skilled players led by Alvin Kamara and Michael Thomas. Manziel engineering that attack in 2020 could be explosive. The question: Could he play in New Orleans and stay out of trouble?

7) Arizona Cardinals: Arizona signed Sam Bradford, but it's a one-year deal. Bradford's knee is "degenerative," according to his former coach, Mike Zimmer. Seems as though this situation is far from solved. It'll be interesting to see what offense coordinator Mike McCoy implements in Arizona in 2018, because he has a history of adjusting his scheme to his personnel. With Bradford, that's more of a pocket-passing, West Coast attack, with which McCoy has the most history. He's also shown he can run zone-read concepts with more mobile quarterbacks (think: Tim Tebow in Denver). In terms of fit, this one might be the best once one looks beyond Bradford.

The downside: Steve Wilks is a first-year and first-time head coach. Most new coaches aren't going to be open to taking on a foundation-shaking addition like Manziel. This looks better a year from now.

8) Washington Redskins: Alex Smith is the guy in Washington, but Dan Snyder isn't afraid of making headlines with his team. Furthermore, Manziel could be an ideal successor to Smith a few years from now. Both have similar styles of play, with Manziel being slightly more mobile. He'd fit into Jay Gruden's offense seamlessly and in the same vein as Smith, with the added benefit of learning behind Smith for at least a couple of years.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• oneinchpunch
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Jun 2013
              • Send PM

All the AFC West teams are cramping the bed this offfseason. Time for the Bolts to step up
              Hashtag thepowderblues

Comment

• Screeme
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jun 2013
                • Send PM

You could be right.. i'm certainly not a pro at this evaluation game like the rest. I've seen him mocked anywhere from mid 1st to mid 2nd, so there definitely seems to be some varied opinions on him. I'll see that from what I've seen of him.. he's fast, instinctive, hits hard and can tackle and a clear an upgrade over Emanuel & Pullard (VanderEsch,would be as well, to be fair).

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jul 2013
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post

Published: March 23, 2018 at 05:02 p.m.
                  Updated: March 23, 2018 at 07:01 p.m. Johnny Manziel's potential NFL landing spots: Eight team fits

5) Los Angeles Chargers: Philip Rivers is nearing the end of his career (despite showing little signs of slowing) and the Chargers are set up to win now and for the next few years. Manziel would be well-suited to join Los Angeles and spend some time learning from a seasoned veteran before taking the keys, competing with Cardale Jones in the meantime for the backup position. With Rivers entrenched as the starter, Manziel's arrival wouldn't spark much drama in the building and could produce the best situation for him to learn how to be a pro now that he's a changed man, as he claims to be. Offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt also has experience taking retreads (Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner, for example) and getting the most out of them, though Manziel would be a much different type of retread.
                  I don't totally agree with this dude's line of thinking, but I would consider taking Manziel on as back-up, on a one-year deal. The team does look ready to win this year, so I would gamble that if Rivers ended up on IR, I'd rather throw Manziel out there than someone like C.Jones or a rookie. Given the history, I would never sign Manziel to a long term contract even if he were to pull a Foles for us, but he might be a worthwhile signing as that kind of a lottery ticket. Hopefully he would just sit, learn, and leave in the next off season, but in case of emergency, yeah.
                  I guess I would look at RGIII & Kaep as well for the same reasons, but I have no idea what kinds of shape they're in.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

No way they sign Kaep. He's been blackballed.
                    Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
                    The Wasted Decade is done.
                    Build Back Better.

Comment

• Gwynning_Spirit
                      Gwynning_Spirit commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah, I mean, if someone was going to, I'd figure it would've happened by now. But what kind of shape would he even be in?
                  • Heatmiser
                    BetterToday ThanYesterday
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Why would any team want Manziel? If he truly is reformed (and that is a big if...he reportedly had a drinking problem, also dabbled with drugs, beat up his girlfriend at least twice because he got caught twice, disappeared from his family for a long period, was a locker room cancer, did not study the playbook, I could go on and on), you still have to get beyond him being about 6 feet tall, having marginal arm strength, unable to read a defense, and not built to play the river boat gambler way he did in college. Other than his name and winning the Heismann, there is nothing there. Nothing.

TG
                    Like, how am I a traitor? Your team are traitors.

Comment

• Budsman
                      Budsman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It’s pretty obvious... Lamar Jackson. Not only will can he win if rivers goes down but can be used as a diversion aaaaand when it’s his time he will be seasoned under rivers tutelage.

• WindsorUK
                      WindsorUK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I'm going to play devil's advocate here.
                      Rivers has never been one to hoist the team on his shoulders and lead them to victory. And now, the way this team is designed, all we need is a game manager at the QB position( a la Alex Smith)
                      Our O line should be improved at opening holes for our run game, and if we draft a back in the early rounds to help take the load from MG, even better.
                      Our season will ride and fall on the play of our D. We have enough game changers, and if TT adds to the group, they should set the tone for our success.
                      Clemens ceratainly isn't the answer and who knows if Jones is. Time to get someone else on board so we can groom him under PR for a few years.

• Panamamike
                      Panamamike commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Exactly my thoughts on Manziel Heatmiser.
                  • Bolt-O
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Send PM

Jets are out of the Suh sweepstakes.

Comment

• blueman
                      blueman commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Weird. Or not. Is he a Ram then?
                      Last edited by blueman; 03-25-2018, 04:15 PM.
                  Working...
                  X