• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Attack
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jan 2017
    • Send PM

Griffin is definitely a talented player who overcame his handicap and excelled at the college level. He's now going to be stepping up a few levels in going to the NFL, and again, with a handicap that he must overcome to be successful. Will he be able to do it? Noone knows right now (just like nobody knows for sure if any other player will be successful in the NFL). But Griffin has a handicap that nobody else has to overcome. I hope he does succeed. Do I want to use a 2nd round pick on him? I don't. Not sure that I would use a 3rd on him. It will be interesting to see how the draft unfolds for Griffin. I wish him only good luck in the NFL.
    Last edited by Attack; 04-04-2018, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• blueman
      blueman commented
      Editing a comment
      I’d feel more comfortable using a second on him than a first on any QB this year.
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

When you rank Griffin, regardless of what other players have done in the past, some of his weaknesses he will not get any better at. So, do current NFL players who still have that same weakness struggle with that or not? I see a lot of in the box S or OLB who are terrible at shedding blocks. And as I mentioned, even some great ones like Donnie Edwards, who eventually developed the technique to get better, just were too small to ever stack and shed well. I am assuming that Griffin is the same sort of player. He will never be much if any better than he is now in terms of his hand related abilities. I still think, based on what I see current NFL guys do in terms of stacking and shedding (and catching ... and tackling), Griffin would be worth spending a 2nd round pick on.

I hate the wait and see how the draft unfolds argument. That applies to every draft. With regard to a single player, you can only take a guy once. If some other team ranks him and takes him, we would have to trade to get him and that is not going to happen.

If you are getting turned off on him because of the extra attention he is getting because of the hand, and "what a great story" this is, I hear you on that. I am pretty sick of that. To me, this kid is just a good football player who really fits what we need at the dime LB/S spot. I don't care about the good story. And I am ok with it if you say he is too much of a distraction to be on our team.

First, you can never have to many high energy guys. That is contagious. I am not sure how much of boost we get beyond Bosa (or current high energy guy), but having another can't hurt. His speed would be a great asset. He doesn't let RB get outside of him (a problem from last year) and he is a good tackler (another problem from last year).

The point you are missing is that EVERYONE has weaknesses that they need to overcome. From the 1st pick on down, everyone needs to get better to play in the NFL. When you evaluate (judge) players, you are making a subject ranking of a player based on their abilities and technique. You look at players and see how your experience for similar sorts of skill set, you are thinking you can't judge him because there has never been a one-handed player before. So, don't judge him like that. The only thing that is somewhat different is he is not going to get better at using that hand.

Comment

• Attack
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2017
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      When you rank Griffin, regardless of what other players have done in the past, some of his weaknesses he will not get any better at. So, do current NFL players who still have that same weakness struggle with that or not? I see a lot of in the box S or OLB who are terrible at shedding blocks. And as I mentioned, even some great ones like Donnie Edwards, who eventually developed the technique to get better, just were too small to ever stack and shed well. I am assuming that Griffin is the same sort of player. He will never be much if any better than he is now in terms of his hand related abilities. I still think, based on what I see current NFL guys do in terms of stacking and shedding (and catching ... and tackling), Griffin would be worth spending a 2nd round pick on.

I hate the wait and see how the draft unfolds argument. That applies to every draft. With regard to a single player, you can only take a guy once. If some other team ranks him and takes him, we would have to trade to get him and that is not going to happen.

If you are getting turned off on him because of the extra attention he is getting because of the hand, and "what a great story" this is, I hear you on that. I am pretty sick of that. To me, this kid is just a good football player who really fits what we need at the dime LB/S spot. I don't care about the good story. And I am ok with it if you say he is too much of a distraction to be on our team.

First, you can never have to many high energy guys. That is contagious. I am not sure how much of boost we get beyond Bosa (or current high energy guy), but having another can't hurt. His speed would be a great asset. He doesn't let RB get outside of him (a problem from last year) and he is a good tackler (another problem from last year).

The point you are missing is that EVERYONE has weaknesses that they need to overcome. From the 1st pick on down, everyone needs to get better to play in the NFL. When you evaluate (judge) players, you are making a subject ranking of a player based on their abilities and technique. You look at players and see how your experience for similar sorts of skill set, you are thinking you can't judge him because there has never been a one-handed player before. So, don't judge him like that. The only thing that is somewhat different is he is not going to get better at using that hand.

I'm not overlooking the fact that everyone has weaknesses. That's obvious. Griffin is going from competing in a lesser conference (meaning not the SEC, Big 10, etc) to playing against world class NFL athletes, with a personal handicap. I just think NFLers will figure out ways to compromise his abilities to make plays. It's hard enough for most college players to adjust and excel in the NFL, and Griffin will have to do it one-handed. There are players that I would take ahead of Griffin through the 3rd round. I would probably consider using a 4th to draft him. The draft is subjective, and being interested to see how the draft unfolds for Griffin is to compare/contrast my own thoughts on him vs others' evaluations. Someone will be right about Griffin and someone won't, and we'll know that answer in a few years. As far as the attention that Griffin is getting, I think it's warranted. I don't see the attention as a negative; actually, it would be a good thing to attract more media coverage of the team. As it stands now, the Rams seem like they are going to dominate the LA market and maybe the NFC, so it would be nice to have some attention with Griffin, but wouldn't force it by overdrafting.

Comment

• Classic
        Hall Of Fame
        • Dec 2014
        • Send PM

Jackson is pretty good and his completion percentage is a bit misleading as he had a bad OL and throwaways alot. What I love about Jackson is he is great competitor and has very quick release. The Kaepernick comparisons are good. If someone of you are expecting another Rivers to fall in our lap, you're being dulisional and way too harsh on Jackson or any of the QBs in this draft. If Lynn can build a offense around Jackson and have him sit a year or two we can have good QB on a rookie contract, while still competing for a championship with Rivers.

It would be a ballsy move but I'd back Telesco and Lynn if they took a QB in 1st.

Comment

• chris9341
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jul 2013
          • Send PM

Originally posted by Classic View Post
          Jackson is pretty good and his completion percentage is a bit misleading as he had a bad OL and throwaways alot. What I love about Jackson is he is great competitor and has very quick release. The Kaepernick comparisons are good. If someone of you are expecting another Rivers to fall in our lap, you're being dulisional and way too harsh on Jackson or any of the QBs in this draft. If Lynn can build a offense around Jackson and have him sit a year or two we can have good QB on a rookie contract, while still competing for a championship with Rivers.

It would be a ballsy move but I'd back Telesco and Lynn if they took a QB in 1st.
          If we are going to compare Jackson to Kaepernick then Fuck that. I don't want any QB who is compared to Kaepernick. I'm not talking about his kneeling before the star spangled banner I am talking about his actual play. It boggles my mind why some people thought he was actually good. He sucked his final year that he has played. Now I personally don't have a problem with any of the Qb's in this draft I just don't think we need or should draft one this year especially when our most glaring need is either a DT or a linebacker to help with run defense. Preferrably a DT.

Comment

Working...
          X