• Show
Clear All
  • richpjr
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Nashville
    • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
    I don't know what they think. It would be odd if they declared him the starting right guard/right tackle/left tackle right now: he hasn't played a down, it would be a slap in the face of Schofield/Feeney/Tevi, & they really do want competition. Perhaps, they really don't know where they want to place him, and they don't want to commit so early.
    He started the season #2 on the depth chart and he has worked with the 1s and 2s, so they haven't handed him anything. I fully expect they will open up the competition to all and I fully expect him to win a starting job.

Comment

• sonorajim
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

I don't know what they think. It would be odd if they declared him the starting right guard/right tackle/left tackle right now: he hasn't played a down, it would be a slap in the face of Schofield/Feeney/Tevi, & they really do want competition. Perhaps, they really don't know where they want to place him, and they don't want to commit so early.
      I agree. I believe that the Chargers will start their best OL based on 2019 ability & performance. A new OL starter has to earn it, beat somebody out this TC/preseason.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

I would guess the starting lineup will be: Okung, Lamp, Pouncey, Feeney, Tevi with Schofield as the principal backup at RG/RT. No real surprises.

Place Virgil Green next to Tevi

Comment

• wu-dai clan
          Smooth Operation
          • May 2017
          • Send PM

I would guess the starting lineup will be: Okung, Lamp, Pouncey, Feeney, Tevi with Schofield as the principal backup at RG/RT. No real surprises.

But..."everybody's out in the pattern."
          We do not play modern football.

Comment

• Xenos
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Feb 2019
            • Send PM

Originally posted by Big Dog View Post
            Everyone says he is not tall enough and his arms are too short, but I would think Lamp could be a RT for sure and even a LT and succeed if given a chance ...

I'm concerned the coaches don't like him for some reason, i'm Just not buying the chemistry bullshit they were shelling out last year ...
            If that was the case, then the coaches would have found a way to cut him or trade him last year. But instead, they are giving him every opportunity this offseason to succeed and win a starting spot.

Comment

• Topcat
              AKA "Pollcat"
              • Jan 2019
              • Send PM

Originally posted by wu-dai clan View Post

But..."everybody's out in the pattern."
              LOL...thanks, Hacksaw! Or should I call you "Woodsaw?"

...EYE want to hear from yooooouuuuu!
              Last edited by Topcat; 06-30-2019, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• Caslon
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Apr 2019
                • Send PM

Lamp will prove this year that he's not a costly backup, or will he? He's got the health, the first line reps. No more coach speak about keeping continuity please. It's a new season to get Lamp into the mix big time or bust. We probably wouldn't have these expectations if he wasn't a second round pick, but he was. Year 3 or bust? Or...a 5th round talent taken at number 2 mistake? Then I can see bringing him along slower if he was taken in the 5th or 6th rounds (which he wouldn't have lasted). Injuries aside, a number 2 pick tho. "Under Pressure."

I have no problem keeping Lamp around until he gets up to NFL speed. I think the Chargers will retain Lamp after 2019 and pass it off as a highly touted 2nd round offensive lineman that needs time to be brought along like a 5th rounder, and who was expected to pick up on the NFL sooner. So...I've lessened my expectations about Lamp. He was selected too high by TT and expected to get into the swing of things more than a 5th rounder. Dice roll.

Hey! Great linemen often start out as a 5th or 6th round pick, then work their way up slowly to greatness. Is this a case where a highly touted OL hits a speed bump from college to the NFL? Maybe.
                Last edited by Caslon; 06-30-2019, 09:14 PM.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                  Smooth Operation
                  • May 2017
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by Caslon View Post
                  Lamp will prove this year that he's not a costly backup, or will he? He's got the health, the first line reps. No more coach speak about keeping continuity please. It's a new season to get Lamp into the mix big time or bust. We probably wouldn't have these expectations if he wasn't a second round pick, but he was. Year 3 or bust? Or...a 5th round talent taken at number 2 mistake? Then I can see bringing him along slower if he was taken in the 5th or 6th rounds (which he wouldn't have lasted). Injuries aside, a number 2 pick tho. "Under Pressure."

I have no problem keeping Lamp around until he gets up to NFL speed. I think the Chargers will retain Lamp after 2019 and pass it off as a highly touted 2nd round offensive lineman that needs time to be brought along like a 5th rounder, and who was expected to pick up on the NFL sooner. So...I've lessened my expectations about Lamp. He was selected too high by TT and expected to get into the swing of things more than a 5th rounder. Dice roll.

Hey! Great linemen often start out as a 5th or 6th round pick, then work their way up slowly to greatness. Is this a case where a highly touted OL hits a speed bump from college to the NFL? Maybe.
                  Hey Caslon. Good to see you. Welcome to TPB.

I have long been bullish on Lamp and remain so.

So this poster pretty much agrees with everything you are saying.

Comment

• wu-dai clan
                    Smooth Operation
                    • May 2017
                    • Send PM

I went back and looked at predraft thoughts regarding offensive tackle.

My conclusion is that none of the offensive tackles we as fans wanted were as good of scheme fits as Trey Pipkins.

Pipkins has the prerequisite athleticism to excel out in space, ala Sam Tevi.

It is the reoccurrence of a common theme...we, as fans love to second guess our decision makers, when in reality we lack the depth of knowledge needed.

Outside of a trade up, the potential moves have not been there for us.

To illustrate what I am saying, in the 2019 draft, the Chargers have said two offensive tackles interested them early, Jonah Williams and Andre Dillard...no one else.

Greg Little: excellent at mirroring opponents, but the antithesis of a strike early, Pat Meyer offensive tackle.

Jawaan Taylor: bad knee aside, he's an offensive guard in our scheme.

Dalton Risner: carbon copy of Feeney, Lamp, lacking in offensive tackle athleticism for our system.

Tytus Howard: HOU took him too early, bad fit for us in terms of skillset, red flags.

There's others.

My guess is that Okung's gonna be fine.

Okung--Feeney--Pouncey--Lamp--Tevi

Patience...think of CBA slowing development of Olinemen due to practising rules...think of year 3 benefits of same Pat Meyer coaching...think of scarcity.
                    Last edited by wu-dai clan; 07-04-2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

• Topcat
                      AKA "Pollcat"
                      • Jan 2019
                      • Send PM

You would switch Feeney from LG to RG? Why not just plug Magic Lamp in at RG and leave Feeney where he's been...

Comment

• sonorajim
                        Registered Charger Fan
                        • Jan 2019
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

You would switch Feeney from LG to RG? Why not just plug Magic Lamp in at RG and leave Feeney where he's been...
                        I would probably leave Feeney at LG but his college experience was at RG. Lamp played LT so LG might be miore familiar. They say everything happens faster inside (OG vs OT). I dunno. The coaches will have to make that choice.

Comment

• blueman
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jun 2013
                          • Send PM

Play the best five, hope for the best.

Comment

Working...
                          X