• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blueman
    Registered Charger Fan
    • Jun 2013
    • Send PM

It is scary to think how unstoppable this O would be with better blocking, what with Rivers and his quick release and our stable of receivers, also RBs who can also catch. Criminal.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
      Registered Charger Fan
      • Apr 2019
      • Send PM

My view is the OL is going to be much better this year. Reports I've read is that Lamp is looking like the stud he was supposed to be. He will push Schofield out of the starting lineup or replace Tevi at RT. Feeney is going to bounce back. If Tevi continues to struggle, there are multiple options to upgrade there quickly: Pipkins may be ready to start sooner than anyone thought. He has such a high ceiling. Lamp is also an option at RT, and I've been hearing good things about Trent Scott.

Comment

• powderblueboy
        Registered Charger Fan
        • Jul 2017
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post
        My view is the OL is going to be much better this year. Reports I've read is that Lamp is looking like the stud he was supposed to be. He will push Schofield out of the starting lineup or replace Tevi at RT. Feeney is going to bounce back. If Tevi continues to struggle, there are multiple options to upgrade there quickly: Pipkins may be ready to start sooner than anyone thought. He has such a high ceiling. Lamp is also an option at RT, and I've been hearing good things about Trent Scott.
        According to some analyst, ranking NFL offensive lines, the Charger coaching staff thinks that Tevi & Feeney are just scratching the surface of their abilities. Take it or leave it for what its worth.

At the very least, Lamp's addition should put a solid interior presence on the Oline.

Comment

• Caslon
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Apr 2019
          • Send PM

Originally posted by blueman View Post
          It is scary to think how unstoppable this O would be with better blocking, what with Rivers and his quick release and our stable of receivers, also RBs who can also catch. Criminal.
          Rivers IS tough, but I'm wondering about the O-line and keeping Rivers upright. What, with this years O-line ponderings. If we don't see some marked involvement with Lamp and "new chemistry" and all...just keep Rivers upright. Just do that. Okay? Lamp?....feh! Keep Lamp until next year and bring him around like the 4th rounder he is. We all know he wouldn't have lasted until the 3rd round.

As I've mentioned before, stellar lineman start out as 4th or 5th round picks, then move up to greatness. Ez does it. Keep Rivers upright. Do that.
          Last edited by Caslon; 07-06-2019, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• powderblueboy
            Registered Charger Fan
            • Jul 2017
            • Send PM

Feeney's a good run blocker, his problem is pass protection.

Comment

• Caslon
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Apr 2019
              • Send PM

As a second rounder, Lamp is a wait and see o-lineman. Even when he was on the field, which got hampered, I got the feeling that the coaches knew what was best in what the have in LAmp so far.

Hehe, keeping Rivers from having his head knocked off is job one. BTW, aren't 1st round and 2nd O-line pics supposed to be ahead of the rest ? TT probably admits... yes. Dice roll...ya never know. Dat true TT.
              Last edited by Caslon; 07-06-2019, 09:56 PM.

Comment

• sonorajim
                Registered Charger Fan
                • Jan 2019
                • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post
                Feeney's a good run blocker, his problem is pass protection.
                I felt like standing up, identifying the D, talking to Rivers, relaying OL calls and being the last to put his hand on the ground slowed his personal decision making. I'd like to see that change.

Comment

• sonorajim
                  Registered Charger Fan
                  • Jan 2019
                  • Send PM

Originally posted by powderblueboy View Post

According to some analyst, ranking NFL offensive lines, the Charger coaching staff thinks that Tevi & Feeney are just scratching the surface of their abilities. Take it or leave it for what its worth.

At the very least, Lamp's addition should put a solid interior presence on the Oline.
                  They're young guys with adequate talent if used right.

There should be improvement in the players and how they are used. I don't expect Massive leaps better but some, yes.

Comment

• Steve
                    Administrator
                    • Jun 2013
                    • South Carolina
                    • Meteorologist
                    • Send PM

The big thing this coming season will be on how much improvement players like Tevi, Feeney, and Lamp bring. You might be able to add Scott to this as well. To date, these players have not performed at the level a championship team needs. They are adequately average, meaning they have flashed great ability, but the consistency and completeness of their game are just not where they need to be. The upside is that Feeney has only been a starter for a season and a half, and Tevi for 1 season. Scott has only started a game, and Lamp hasn't gotten to play.

I don't include Schofield in this just because he is old enough he basically is what he is. To me, he is what he is. There is a slim chance he will continue to improve, but at this stage, that is not likely. I still think he is a quality backup OL, for both OT and OG.

Okung and Pouncey are both quality OL. Not elite players, but good enough they could play for just about anyone. The catch is both are older players and it is time to start to figure out what to do to replace them.

For the most part, our OL played well last year, but against the best DL, they are somewhat wanting, which if you want to win a SB is exactly what you have to shoot to beat.

The other thing to consider is that some of the best OL historically have not been composed of elite players. OL is all about teamwork. If players can work together to help each other out, trade-off defenders, then they can often overcome individual limitations. OL is the one position group in football, where the whole can exceed the sum of the parts. As far as our current OL goes, Feeney, Pouncey, and whoever starts to RG need to stop the inside pressure, and Tevi needs to stop giving up the pressure to the middle. Then let Rivers handle the speed coming off the edge.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      The big thing this coming season will be on how much improvement players like Tevi, Feeney, and Lamp bring. You might be able to add Scott to this as well. To date, these players have not performed at the level a championship team needs. They are adequately average, meaning they have flashed great ability, but the consistency and completeness of their game are just not where they need to be. The upside is that Feeney has only been a starter for a season and a half, and Tevi for 1 season. Scott has only started a game, and Lamp hasn't gotten to play.

I don't include Schofield in this just because he is old enough he basically is what he is. To me, he is what he is. There is a slim chance he will continue to improve, but at this stage, that is not likely. I still think he is a quality backup OL, for both OT and OG.

Okung and Pouncey are both quality OL. Not elite players, but good enough they could play for just about anyone. The catch is both are older players and it is time to start to figure out what to do to replace them.

For the most part, our OL played well last year, but against the best DL, they are somewhat wanting, which if you want to win a SB is exactly what you have to shoot to beat.

The other thing to consider is that some of the best OL historically have not been composed of elite players. OL is all about teamwork. If players can work together to help each other out, trade-off defenders, then they can often overcome individual limitations. OL is the one position group in football, where the whole can exceed the sum of the parts. As far as our current OL goes, Feeney, Pouncey, and whoever starts to RG need to stop the inside pressure, and Tevi needs to stop giving up the pressure to the middle. Then let Rivers handle the speed coming off the edge.
                      You make some good points. The OL, more than any other unit on either side of the ball, executes schemes in tandem acting as a whole. Sound fundamentals and execution of blocking schemes exactly how they are supposed to work is the foundation of a good offensive line. The 49ers won five Super Bowls with offensive lineman who were pretty average individually. The 49ers longtime offensive line coach, the late Bob McKittrick, was a master at it. In his 20 years coaching the 49ers offensive line, I think only one was a first-round draft pick. The rest were players you've never heard of.

Comment

• jamrock
                        lawyers, guns and money
                        • Sep 2017
                        • Send PM

Originally posted by Sgt. Pepper View Post

You make some good points. The OL, more than any other unit on either side of the ball, executes schemes in tandem acting as a whole. Sound fundamentals and execution of blocking schemes exactly how they are supposed to work is the foundation of a good offensive line. The 49ers won five Super Bowls with offensive lineman who were pretty average individually. The 49ers longtime offensive line coach, the late Bob McKittrick, was a master at it. In his 20 years coaching the 49ers offensive line, I think only one was a first-round draft pick. The rest were players you've never heard of.
                        49ers of that era and Patriots of this era have superior coaching. It's what I've been saying for some time

Comment

• sonorajim
                          Registered Charger Fan
                          • Jan 2019
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by jamrock View Post

49ers of that era and Patriots of this era have superior coaching. It's what I've been saying for some time
                          Kinda goes without saying.
                          Most relate that to the HC and/or coordinators so it is nice to see the OL coaches named.

Comment

Working...
                          X