Clear All
  • Steve
    Administrator
    • Jun 2013
    • South Carolina
    • Meteorologist
    • Send PM

Taylor adds a lot just in case.

He is easily the 2nd best backup QB, maybe the best if Bridgewater can't play at the level, which we don't know because he hasn't played yet.

People hate Tyrod because he wasn't successful in Buffalo, but Buffalo has a terrible roster and Taylor's level of play was pretty good. Decent stats, but very few mistakes. And no one around him to help make plays. I think he could be a much more productive player in our offense than in Buffalo. The RB situation, Buffalo might be a bit better, but it isn't by much. WR, they didn't have anyone like Keenan Allen or Mike Williams. Hunter Henry is a way better TE. And he has a better D backing him up than anything Buffalo could field.

Taylor also adds a great practice player. Can give good run looks, reads defenses and doesn't just throw passes to the D to inflate their ego's. He is going to make teams really work against a quality guy in practice. It is going to make our D better.

Then there is just the, we have to have a QB. I like the idea of adding Stick, but he is not going to be ready to step in and be a quality backup. If anything happens to Rivers for a game or two, our season is basically over without Taylor. No playoffs, no chance of a SB. Taylor is really the only other reasonable starter type of backup. He is not a quality starter, but he gives the rest of the team a chance if everyone else brings their A game.

Comment

• Topcat
      AKA "Pollcat"
      • Jan 2019
      • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Taylor adds a lot just in case.

He is easily the 2nd best backup QB, maybe the best if Bridgewater can't play at the level, which we don't know because he hasn't played yet.

People hate Tyrod because he wasn't successful in Buffalo, but Buffalo has a terrible roster and Taylor's level of play was pretty good. Decent stats, but very few mistakes. And no one around him to help make plays. I think he could be a much more productive player in our offense than in Buffalo. The RB situation, Buffalo might be a bit better, but it isn't by much. WR, they didn't have anyone like Keenan Allen or Mike Williams. Hunter Henry is a way better TE. And he has a better D backing him up than anything Buffalo could field.

Taylor also adds a great practice player. Can give good run looks, reads defenses and doesn't just throw passes to the D to inflate their ego's. He is going to make teams really work against a quality guy in practice. It is going to make our D better.

Then there is just the, we have to have a QB. I like the idea of adding Stick, but he is not going to be ready to step in and be a quality backup. If anything happens to Rivers for a game or two, our season is basically over without Taylor. No playoffs, no chance of a SB. Taylor is really the only other reasonable starter type of backup. He is not a quality starter, but he gives the rest of the team a chance if everyone else brings their A game.
      I feel a LOT better having Taylor as a true quality backup rather than Smith or Jones...

Comment

• La Costa Boy
        Pretty much retired......
        • Sep 2018
        • JoJa
        • Bloviator of hot air and rhetoric.
        • Send PM

Originally posted by Topcat View Post

I feel a LOT better having Taylor as a true quality backup rather than Smith or Jones...
        Absolutely agree.......

Comment

• blueman
          Registered Charger Fan
          • Jun 2013
          • Send PM

Glad we have maybe the best, highest paid backup QB in the league. Naive to think it doesn't come at the cost of other positions. Also naive to assume FA is the only way to bring in talent, trades do happen, and yes they can cost too. Just like not paying MG upwards of $13 mil, there are always choices to make. Not against going with the young guys at OT, Tevi impressed me more than Feeney last season though both played subpar mostly. Upside is there IMO, TT must think so too.

Comment

• Formula 21
            The Future is Now
            • Jun 2013
            • Republic of San Diego
            • Send PM

I do think this team has to get through the exhibition games to see what they have at OT. And along the entire OL for that matter. Maybe, just maybe, another year in the system will result in better play.
            Now, if you excuse me, I have some Charger memories to suppress.
            The Wasted Decade is done.
            Build Back Better.

Comment

• like54ninjas
              Registered Charger Fan
              • Oct 2017
              • Great White North
              • Draftnik
              • Send PM

Originally posted by Formula 21 View Post
              I do think this team has to get through the exhibition games to see what they have at OT. And along the entire OL for that matter. Maybe, just maybe, another year in the system will result in better play.
              Year 3 for most of the core together. The talent is there. They must execute on the field, at a high level, consistently for 19/20 games. I am concerned about our OT depth with the uncertainty of Russell's health. The next month or 2 will show us what we have with the young guys.
              My 2021 Adopt-A-Bolt List

MikeDub
              K9
              Nasir
              Tillery
              Parham
              Reed

Comment

• jamrock
                lawyers, guns and money
                • Sep 2017
                • Send PM

No worries. Trent Scott working at LT with the 1's

Comment

• Formula 21
                  The Future is Now
                  • Jun 2013
                  • Republic of San Diego
                  • Send PM

Where's Pipkins.
                  Build Back Better.

Comment

• Formula 21
                    The Future is Now
                    • Jun 2013
                    • Republic of San Diego
                    • Send PM

Trent Williams is officially a holdout.

The disgruntled Washington Redskins tackle was placed on the reserve/did not report list on Saturday, making room for D.C. to sign journeyman tackle Corey Robinson.

Williams has been away from the team in part because of anger over his contract and Washington's handling of a health scare suffered in the spring.

Asked Saturday if he had heard from Williams, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said, "No. I haven't,

The veteran tackle has two years left on his deal over which he is owed around $24 million. That $12 million per year average is well below what the league's highest-paid left tackle, Taylor Lewan, is averaging ($16 million).

The absence of Williams leaves a notable gap at Washington's blind side. The Redskins have attempted to patch it with former New York Giants tackle Ereck Flowers but the 2015 first-round pick has reportedly struggled and had to be replaced on the first team by Geron Christian at times this week.

A seven-time Pro Bowler and 10-year veteran, Williams is one of the Redskins' foundational leaders and is already being sorely missed by his longtime teammates.

"It's weird not to have him here," linebacker Ryan Kerrigan said Friday, per ESPN. "I obviously hope everything works out and that he's back here. He's not only an elite offensive tackle, he is the best offensive tackle in the game, and I know a lot of guys will say that their teammate is [the best in the game] but I can say with confidence that Trent is that. We need him on this team. I hope he's back here sooner than later."

There looks to be no end in sight for Williams' holdout, and Washington appears to be well worse for his absence.

Build Back Better.

Comment

• Sgt. Pepper
                      Registered Charger Fan
                      • Apr 2019
                      • Send PM

Trent Williams is officially a holdout.

The disgruntled Washington Redskins tackle was placed on the reserve/did not report list on Saturday, making room for D.C. to sign journeyman tackle Corey Robinson.

Williams has been away from the team in part because of anger over his contract and Washington's handling of a health scare suffered in the spring.

Asked Saturday if he had heard from Williams, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said, "No. I haven't,

The veteran tackle has two years left on his deal over which he is owed around $24 million. That $12 million per year average is well below what the league's highest-paid left tackle, Taylor Lewan, is averaging ($16 million).

The absence of Williams leaves a notable gap at Washington's blind side. The Redskins have attempted to patch it with former New York Giants tackle Ereck Flowers but the 2015 first-round pick has reportedly struggled and had to be replaced on the first team by Geron Christian at times this week.

A seven-time Pro Bowler and 10-year veteran, Williams is one of the Redskins' foundational leaders and is already being sorely missed by his longtime teammates.

"It's weird not to have him here," linebacker Ryan Kerrigan said Friday, per ESPN. "I obviously hope everything works out and that he's back here. He's not only an elite offensive tackle, he is the best offensive tackle in the game, and I know a lot of guys will say that their teammate is [the best in the game] but I can say with confidence that Trent is that. We need him on this team. I hope he's back here sooner than later."

There looks to be no end in sight for Williams' holdout, and Washington appears to be well worse for his absence.

I propose a three-way. Tampa or Miami sends their 2020 second round pick to Washington. Washington sends Trent Williams to the Chargers. The Chargers send Melvin Gordon to Tampa or Miami.

Comment

• 21&500
                        Bolt Spit-Baller
                        • Sep 2018
                        • A Whale's Vajayjay
                        • CMB refugee
                        • Send PM

Where's Pipkins.
                        Hopefully in the weight room.
                        G-Ro knows.

Comment

• Lone Bolt
                          Brock Bowers N.M.W.
                          • Feb 2019
                          • McLean Illinois
                          • Pipefitter Illinois State University
                          • Send PM

Originally posted by Steve View Post

You're right, that was too harsh.

In an ideal world, I actually agree with it. If there were all kinds of players at all kinds of skill ranges, then yes, it would have been better to put the money into a championship.

my point is that it is not an ideal world, and only so many players out there. NFL Fa is not a restaurant where we can just go out and order what we want. There are only so many good players, and most of our positions of need there really were a lot of weak choices, or more likley no real choices to speak of.

The Tyrod Taylor thing was a pretty good use of salary cap space and potentially sets us up for next offseason, while getting us the 2nd best QB in FA (I still like Teddy Bridgewater better, but he would never sign with us).
                          Bro...just steering you back to the path...you are an awesome poster...but we all have a little irish that comes out now and then...especially me with a few beers!! Keep up your solid contributions to this forum...and thank you.
                          The TPB makes plans....And Jim Harbaugh laughs...

Final prediction: Latham OT, Colson LB, Sainristil CB, Rice WR, Zinter OG, Nourzad OC, MacLachlan TE, Vidal RB, Lovett DT

Comment

Working...
                          X